ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru Market Values

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2017, 07:55 PM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My OP was never about running costs.

I don't care how much my car is to insure/tax/service/Repair. I bought an impreza knowing that. If i want something, then that element of heart always (for me at least) over rules the head.

Tax can be paid monthly, its like £45 a month - thats less than a night out, so forgoe one night on the beers for a car i want - deal done.

Insurance, well i've a history of high performance cars, no crashes, i drive sensibly and have no points etc. I don't think i've had an insurance quote over 450 pounds no matter what ive had the quote on for a few years. So job done.

All cars, no matter what they be, sensible daily drivers, high mile eating dervs or high performance imprezas, all have parts that can be a nightmare and pay for. You suck it up no matter what position your in.

I am not selling my car due to the running costs. I'm looking to replace it with a v8 most likely - which will be worse on fuel, tax, insurance, parts etc. etc.

My OP was about the fact that i've had my car on the market for 2 months nearly and the best offer i've had currently stands at £6000.

No one wants their market saturated with under priced cars - it drives down everyones residual values. Which is no good for any of us. I was just trying to say, wonder why that was.

At the end of th day i'll try and get the best deal i can for my car. Not that i want to sell it but because i need to, and that isn't financial, its a necessity for my day to day life. If i could afford to have three cars i would, but that isn't practical. And neither is driving an STI everyday 6miles to work and back. At least for me. If i end up having to sell it for a figured that is not what i'd deem a decent price, then i will and i'll swallow the loss. I just wonder how much worse it will get.
Old 05 August 2017, 09:00 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Having looked at your for sale post I would be holding out for 8.5 - 9 k.
Being forged it's well worth that, I would be asking more for mine and it's a few years older than yours.
The only thing I would say is that maybe a full breakdown of the engine build would help you generate more interest i.e. Where it was done and what components were used.
I would not be selling at 6k but I understand your situation and that you want to sell and move on to something else.
Anyway, good luck with your sale.

Regards
Siv
Old 05 August 2017, 09:06 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry bud, just seen the bill from thwaites.

Try and hold out, I'm sure it will attract a buyer at your asking price.

Siv
Old 06 August 2017, 06:19 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well since I started the VED argument here's my 2p worth.

At the end of the day running costs are an issue for a lot of people... otherwise most of us on here would be driving V8, V10 or V12's... well I know I would but 8/12 mpg is no fun at around a fiver a gallon with an average of 12000 miles a year... it's mortgage money for average Joes...

Sure we can all make exceptions for things we want and love whether that be beer, ciggies, meals and nights out, holidays, big screen tv's @ £2k+ etc but at the end of the day it's all about what one is comfortable paying for ones particular indulgence.

I said some people are uncomfortable with the higher VED and to be honest I'm one of them... if I were in the market for a Hawk I'd definitely be looking at the pre £500 VED models, overall running costs are expensive on cars that do less than 30mpg and an easy way to reduce that HIT is lower VED... I certainly don't miss my WRX wagon fuel bills, oil changes, insurance and VED... I now run a car that cost's less than a 3rd of the price I was paying for all of the above... and tbh it's a financial relief.

Still gets me where I'm going and puts a smile on my face.
Old 06 August 2017, 08:16 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

sold my hawk sti with forged engine (60k miles) and was a 55 plate so lower tax for £8k but it was only for sale for a few days

I wanted the 55 plate as I wanted it to have cheaper tax ,, but I'm not bothered about paying the tax on my hatchback as there is no choice then really

my hatch averages around 29mpg when not hooning , not bad for a 530bhp 2.5
Old 06 August 2017, 08:49 PM
rhys172
Scooby Regular

This thread makes interesting reading as a Spec D owner myself who has had thoughts about selling up. I was yet another victim of the 2.5 head gaskets and, whilst I did at least have a basic warranty in place that covered around £1k of the work, I added another £2600 myself in forged parts and tuning.

I’ve kept an eye on the market and there seem to be a lot of cars (hawks and blobs) sat at dealers at very high asking prices which seem to still be there month after month. This seems to encourage a lot of private sellers to price close to that and their cars then also sit there for months.

Realistically, I’d probably have to sell at £8k (as domino46 did), and frankly that’s just throwing money in the bin. Given that I’ve invested the money in a sound engine and that I’m in a position that I don’t actually need the car as a daily, I’ve decided to just keep it tucked away on SORN and get it out every two or three months as a treat.

And re: VED, it definitely bothers a lot of people, but it’s the cost of one take away a month over a more recent performance car. Eat less take aways, drive a Subaru, don’t become as fat. Win win.
Old 06 August 2017, 10:00 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^^ +1
Old 06 August 2017, 10:41 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

It's always difficult to put a price on one, spec d being less in your face and silver will always comand less than an Sti in we blue even if it's in better nick or the same. But especially a limited edition which not many have heard of an rare as such as an Sti limited.
Old 07 August 2017, 07:20 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rhys172
This thread makes interesting reading as a Spec D owner myself who has had thoughts about selling up. I was yet another victim of the 2.5 head gaskets and, whilst I did at least have a basic warranty in place that covered around £1k of the work, I added another £2600 myself in forged parts and tuning.

I’ve kept an eye on the market and there seem to be a lot of cars (hawks and blobs) sat at dealers at very high asking prices which seem to still be there month after month. This seems to encourage a lot of private sellers to price close to that and their cars then also sit there for months.

Realistically, I’d probably have to sell at £8k (as domino46 did), and frankly that’s just throwing money in the bin. Given that I’ve invested the money in a sound engine and that I’m in a position that I don’t actually need the car as a daily, I’ve decided to just keep it tucked away on SORN and get it out every two or three months as a treat.

And re: VED, it definitely bothers a lot of people, but it’s the cost of one take away a month over a more recent performance car. Eat less take aways, drive a Subaru, don’t become as fat. Win win.
Very true and the reason I left mine in the garage for 4/5yrs... I wasn't going to take peanuts for it having spent over £9k on engine build and mods/upgrades.

Personally I think if you've spent all that money putting it right and now know it's tip top it's crazy to then sell it on and not have the benefit of all the work and money you've spent.
Old 07 August 2017, 12:02 PM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

I think im just going to have reduce the price and get some interest going. Not as much as 6k but 8k will at least i think be easier to swallow.
Old 07 August 2017, 01:07 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by stevekoz
I think im just going to have reduce the price and get some interest going. Not as much as 6k but 8k will at least i think be easier to swallow.
sold my crtstal grey hawk STI (not forged)and with 93k miles on the clock last month for 8k to the first person to look at it within the first week of advertising on auto trader so maybe give that a go.
GLWTS
Old 07 August 2017, 04:21 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Well since I started the VED argument
My 2017 STI will be £140 next year to tax. A 2016 down to about 2008 will be £535. £395 a year pretty much pays of the insurance.

You'd have to have quite a decent amount of disposable income to not give a stuff over £395.
Old 07 August 2017, 09:37 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
My 2017 STI will be £140 next year to tax. A 2016 down to about 2008 will be £535. £395 a year pretty much pays of the insurance.

You'd have to have quite a decent amount of disposable income to not give a stuff over £395.
Agreed, £395 is like you say almost the insurance... mine was around £500 for my WRX, something else I don't miss... £120 including ved on my new ride.
Old 07 August 2017, 11:12 PM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smithys STI
sold my crtstal grey hawk STI (not forged)and with 93k miles on the clock last month for 8k to the first person to look at it within the first week of advertising on auto trader so maybe give that a go.
GLWTS
Ive ended the ebay rubbish and yes i'm going to get it on autotrader and see if that bears a buyer.

Thanks
Old 08 August 2017, 09:25 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott

How much do some people pay out for **** and booze in a month?

Old 08 August 2017, 11:09 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
How much do some people pay out for **** and booze in a month?

Don't get me started on that one... Mrs cousin couldn't afford to pay their mortgage and ended up moving back in with ageing parents (he's in his late 40's) along with wife and 2 teenage sons... never occurred to them to stop smoking the 60/80 cigs a day they consume between them or at the very least cut down.
Old 09 August 2017, 06:38 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

never occurred to them to stop smoking the 60/80 cigs a day they consume between them or at the very least cut down.
I asked an ex-smoker about this and he said you just get used to seeing it as a living expense akin to eating etc, so cutting down on ciggies just because you cant pay for other stuff is almost like giving up eating...
Old 09 August 2017, 06:47 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

I welcome more sensible pricing for used cars in general myself. The imprezas are going down in price, but so is most other non exotic stuff (and exotica is probably falling too...), which makes it cheaper to pick up a new toy.

bring it on, I say (as an owner of an impress myself)
Old 09 August 2017, 08:18 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As my Spec D Forged 06 plate (Was before going on the IOM register) is a keeper, I'm not bothered either way. It's got all the wings and stuff on now, so is just a normal STi with leather seats and a nice stereo, very nice but it isn't used much and insurance is very respectable now.

Once all these PCP cars start being handed back, the market is going to be flooded with unsold 3 year old cars soon, pushing prices for everything down..... Pop goes the bubble.

Might get a nice 14 plate saloon for a daily then...cheap!
Old 10 August 2017, 02:52 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Old 10 August 2017, 04:56 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

People are happy to pay £10k for a cara but quibble at an extra £200 in VED....it makes about as much sense as buying an £80k Porsche but specifying a diesel engine....

Ultimately an old car has little intrinsic value and is only worth what someone will pay for it. As has been said, there is a huge discrepancy between what some dealers as for cars they apparently are happy to sit on the forecourts for months and what the public will pay privately. I think also that people consider how much they have spent on the car in parts/mods/labour and try to factor that into the price. A £10k car with £5k parts/work does not make a £15k car. If you make back even 10% of what you've spent on top of the market value, youre doing well.

As others have said, there appears to be a 20-25% difference in what people want for their cars, compared to what people want to pay for them, judging by ebay.
Old 10 August 2017, 08:19 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
People are happy to pay £10k for a cara but quibble at an extra £200 in VED....it makes about as much sense as buying an £80k Porsche but specifying a diesel engine....
Given the Macan and Cayenne diesels are Porsche's best-selling models, that's maybe not the ideal analogy

Mentioned it earlier in the thread, but perhaps worth repeating. If all of my cars had top-rate VED then my annual bill would be thousands more than it already is, and it's not like the money actually goes to improving roads.

Furthermore if you have the choice between two identical cars and one costs £200 less to tax, why would you pick the other?

Last edited by plenty; 10 August 2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10 August 2017, 08:20 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedroimpreza
Think fair to make some allowances for second language etc.
Old 10 August 2017, 08:26 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by plenty
Given the Macan and Cayenne diesels are Porsche's best-selling models, that's maybe not the ideal analogy

Mentioned it earlier in the thread, but perhaps worth repeating. If all of my cars had top-rate VED then my annual bill would be thousands more than it already is, and it's not like the money actually goes to improving roads.

Furthermore if you have the choice between two identical cars and one costs £200 less to tax, why would you pick the other?
That just proves that most Porsche owners are idiots.

I'd pick the better car - 200 quid would be an irrelevance in the equation at this price point . If £4 a week is an issue then I'd suggest you're overstretching yourself financially whichever one you choose. This is comparable to people buying Impreza but then not affording to service them or maintain them properly.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 10 August 2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11 August 2017, 01:40 AM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the rarer models and classics look to be getting more expensive but I'm pretty suprised that the prices of newage stis are actually not a bit higher than they are especially compared to the going rate for other 'interesting' older cars. They still make a lot of sense on so many levels. Not expert on current prices but maybe ranging from 6.5k-ish? (bug) to maybe 11k/12k-ish? (a decent spec & condition widetrack blob) still represents very good value in my opinion. If you can find a good one. Very suprising that a 2006 sti isn't snapped up for 8 or 9k, maybe the tax bracket plays a small part but still...

Especially when you take into account the following:
1. If it does go pop or you get a really nasty bill you always have the option to break it and get a fairly hefty chunk back (unless you have also sunk a lot of money into the car on mods) as the parts are sought after and there is a reasonable number of people after the 6speed boxes, brembos etc.
2. Look after it well then can't really imagine there will be depreciation on current prices
3. They are pretty reliable and reasonable for parts (in comparison to a lot of other performance cars). My bug certainly has been over 7 years, still going strong (touches wood)
4. Cheap enough to use on track without massive worry - IF you take (1) into account

I briefly thought about getting rid of mine a while back, for no reason other than a change but after looking around the only things that are of any interest for me are a fair bit more expensive and also I would not be comfortable taking on a track day. For me keeping it longer and spending a bit updating a few parts seemed the right option. Mine is not a daily driver these days so maybe I wouldn't hold the same opinion if I was using it all the time and pouring fuel into it.

Last edited by amv#01; 11 August 2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11 August 2017, 11:36 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I think if you've spent all that money putting it right and now know it's tip top it's crazy to then sell it on and not have the benefit of all the work and money you've spent.

Agreed.

I think everyone knows by now but its still best to reiterate you will never get back what you put into a car. Unless you're restoring an old car or buying salvage to repair, you just wont.

My car (v3 JDM STI) has cost me £££ (not as much as you guys though) over the years, and even though when I've finished fixing it up it'll be worth probably triple what I paid for it, ill have spent more than that putting the stuff right - rusty arches, suspension, engine mods etc.

For me there's no better feeling than fixing a car up/modding it/improving it yourself and then driving around in your hard earned work. And for £5-10k I don't think there's a better car than an Impreza.
Old 11 August 2017, 12:50 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Generally Spec D's are unloved, but there are not that many left (circa 130). That said, I had always wanted one, so there may well be other potential buyers in the same frame of mind - they will pay god money for the right car.
I guess your problem could be that the car is slightly 'piggy in the middle' - I would be tempted to recreate the original Spec-D - low level spoiler, etc.
Old 11 August 2017, 12:55 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by WRX Blues
Generally Spec D's are unloved, but there are not that many left (circa 130). That said, I had always wanted one, so there may well be other potential buyers in the same frame of mind - they will pay god money for the right car.
I guess your problem could be that the car is slightly 'piggy in the middle' - I would be tempted to recreate the original Spec-D - low level spoiler, etc.
recreations are only really worth it if the car is mega price, you could pic up a uk sti for less than a spec d but you would have the added cost of taking the spoilers off, add fogs and other than the leather would look like a spec d.

rare cars might be a different story, only 25 Sti limiteds out there assuming none have been scrapped
Old 11 August 2017, 01:38 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
recreations are only really worth it if the car is mega price, you could pic up a uk sti for less than a spec d but you would have the added cost of taking the spoilers off, add fogs and other than the leather would look like a spec d.

rare cars might be a different story, only 25 Sti limiteds out there assuming none have been scrapped
My WR Ltd Legacy is one of only 400 cars produced in Japan for the JDM market, it's a manual which is even rarer.

The import value now is £1000 more than when I bought it but those advertised are not shifting way below that price. The economy, those who want what is still a niche car and image put people off.
Old 11 August 2017, 02:22 PM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

I guess as the OP i think i was surprised that i was only getting offered 5-6k for the car. I don't believe its over priced and i'm not trying to claw back the money that has been spent etc as alot of it wasn't spent by me so it's pointless. But i don't believe in letting it go for pennies is correct either.

I see the point about its niche etc. but I don't see the point in reverting it back as no one is buying standard ones either.

The work is likely only something a new owner would end up doing to a standard car anyway - very few remain stock as you just feel urged to first get this, then that, oh but what abou tthis etc. etc. Eventually ending up with cars like probably most of ours. If not much more outrageous than mine

So, the car remains for sale i guess what bugs me is that no one has come to see it at all. Not one person . I had over 1000+ views on my ebay advert and near 50 people watching but not one of them came to view the car or were asking anything other than fancy a vectra and couple of grand or just dumb offers without seeing it. As it stands right now, it remains unviewed and still for sale.

I think most likely i'll shelve the sale and end up buying a 3rd car and the impreza will get very little use. Some may think thats dumb considering i could still get the circa 5-6k for it but i don't think thats the right thing to do either IMHO.

It's a good topic though, thanks all for being so interactive with it