Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Another - "identify the noise" please

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2000, 02:13 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since my car went through its 30,000 mile service I've started getting a strange noise that I can't identify. Basically it happens when I accelerate past 5000 revs in any gear and then let the revs drop back down again (eg, changing gear) below about 5000 revs

And it sounds like rustling tissue paper coming from directly in front of me (ie, out of the dash board).

Anyone know what this is - Is it serious or nothing to worry about?

Regards
James
Old 20 January 2000, 07:55 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had a similar noise that would only happen at certain engine speeds mysteriously manifest itself when on the away back from Yorkshire to London......sounded like leaves in the vents but was actually pound coins for the Dartford Tunnel vibrating in one of the coin pockets......phew!
Old 20 January 2000, 08:13 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Heat Shield gone
Get some welding done, don't buy a new one
Tim
Old 20 January 2000, 08:33 PM
AndyDavis
Scooby Newbie

I had the heat shield replaced on mine. At the garage they told me they corrode around the bolt and you can sometimes get away with fitting a larger washer and tightening it up. Unfortunately I'd left mine a couple of months before getting it repaired and it was totally knackered. The parts apart £30 if I remember correctly.
Old 21 January 2000, 08:36 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Mine's a UK MY98 - I didn't think the heat shields were a problem on these cars. I've only done 30,000 miles.

Well its still under warranty. I checked for pound coins - none there

James
Old 22 January 2000, 10:32 AM
mayhem
Scooby Newbie

Got the same funny noise on mine on the near side but it only seem to minifest itself when it is very windy or when driving extremely quick! Although I cant find anything I am convinced that is something in the Dash vent. Per haps its stow away Jap mice!!!
Old 22 January 2000, 10:44 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I've now done about a 1000 miles this last week and the noise has got worse. It now happens over a larger rev range and definately sounds like vibration now.

Trouble is I'm now based in Leeds during the week - my normal dealer is down south - does anyone know a good offical dealer in the Leeds area?

Mayhem - your problem sounds like the rubber window seal rather than the dash. Its a common problem and often happens on my car (oh no, anoother problem! )
Old 22 January 2000, 01:22 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

just underneath the brake master cylinder there are two small rubber gromets in the bulkhead. If one of these has fallen out you will get noises directly from the engine and turbo sraight into the cabin by your feet.Worth a check..
Old 22 January 2000, 02:25 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Mayhem - I agree with James - I thought it was the vents till a mate said naahh, its the window seal - played with the window seal a bit a hey presto - solved
Old 25 January 2000, 08:46 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Just to let you know - It was the heat shield. I took it in to KT Greens (in Leeds) where they tried to fix it. The problem went away - but its back again this morning (DOH!).

I'm not to concerned now and will get it fixed later when I'm back down south.

Interestingly though - the mechanic said, if it can't be fixed he usually just cuts them off as they're a waste of space. And that as long as you don't park in long grass you'll be fine.

Does this sound right? What about heat stress if water splashes up on to the exhaust.

James
Old 25 January 2000, 09:03 AM
Keith Moore
Scooby Regular

Angry

Don't you just love it when a mechanic on £3.60 an hour knows better than Subaru themselves. Why did they spend thousands developing it in the first place.

[This message has been edited by Keith Moore (edited 25-01-2000).]
Old 25 January 2000, 09:37 AM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

James,

I have been running a MY96 WRX without the offside lower heat shield for about 3 months now. I am having difficulty finding another one. Again I was advised not to park over anything inflammable. Also you have to protect the wiring loom just in front of the exhaust. Wrap it with aluminium baking foil and secure with tywraps.
I have not had any problems, so I am wondering if I should bother trying to find a new heat shield.