ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STi hatch, bad idea???

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2017, 05:38 PM
wrxben
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi hatch, bad idea???

Hi all, been a couple of years since my last impreza, i have previously owned a bug WRX and a blob STi and i am currently contemplating buying a STi hatchback, i have read all the horror stories about the engines but i am after some genuine owners advice, are they that bad? i have seen a few for sale with 50-70k on the clock and from what i have read a lot of the engines went pop really early in the cars life, should i be concerned as i really don't want to have to fork out on rebuilding an engine soon after purchase, or is it just a case of finding a good one with history and looking after it correctly, i would have no plans to modify the car and it would be my weekend car only. Cheers for any input.
Old 23 February 2017, 05:44 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Try finding one that's had work done, removing any of that doubt and giving you peace of mind.

What's your budget?
Old 23 February 2017, 05:50 PM
wrxben
Scooby Regular

I would be looking at around 13.5k, i also looked at the WRX-S but would probably only end up wishing i had bought an STi.
Old 23 February 2017, 06:31 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

As above look for one already forged or have a few pound set aside in case it needs a rebuild 13k will get you a decent hatch sti
Alternatively you could buy a jdm model which comes with 2lite engine but these are a lot more expensive to buy
Old 23 February 2017, 07:05 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...EAAOSw3v5YnNDe

This one is 14.5k but might take less, decent spec. Fully forged.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...MAAOSwB09YQLhe

JDM i wonder how much it will sell for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-0-Subaru...0AAOSwB-1YqhkM

Another forged one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...oAAOSwt5hYd1hT

The 2nd one at 14.5k I would have probably bought if it was up for sale when I bought my one. Great spec, you're spoilt for choice really.

Last edited by Wull; 23 February 2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 23 February 2017, 07:33 PM
Purdy1984
Scooby Regular

I had the same concerns going from my blob sti to hatch sti. I spent time looking and got a forged one all documented so I knew what parts had be used etc to give me some comfort. It's my daily drive and I love it, fuel consumption seems a lot worst than the blob but guess that's just part of it and if it's weekends only you won't even notice 👍🏻
Old 23 February 2017, 08:02 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wull
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...EAAOSw3v5YnNDe

This one is 14.5k but might take less, decent spec. Fully forged.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...MAAOSwB09YQLhe

JDM i wonder how much it will sell for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-0-Subaru...0AAOSwB-1YqhkM

Another forged one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...oAAOSwt5hYd1hT

The 2nd one at 14.5k I would have probably bought if it was up for sale when I bought my one. Great spec, you're spoilt for choice really.
First one has forged pistons.no mention of forged rods!
Old 23 February 2017, 08:05 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Luck of the draw I guess. Some people have problems some have none at all. But I think most problems are due to a bad map or running to much through the engine without the supporting mods. It's not just Subaru's it happens to, mate has a skyline and a piston went on that. But I wouldn't worry too much if you are keeping it standard.
Old 23 February 2017, 08:13 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try and find a JDM hatch, no engine issues.
Old 23 February 2017, 08:17 PM
big-kev
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have to agree TRY and get a car with NO mods and low mileage ! I looked for months before buying as i was in the same boat as you.
Check with the dealers that the car has had all recalls done in case it was running with a bad map. Every subaru will look after you as long as you look after it.
Old 23 February 2017, 08:20 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

To true @big-kev. Good servicing decent oil etc will help you along the way definitely aswell. If you do go for a map, use someone with a good reputation. They are great cars when looked after properly.
Old 23 February 2017, 08:22 PM
PT82
Scooby Regular

Has Subaru ever commented about this mass issue?
Old 23 February 2017, 08:27 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Love my hatchback and the 2.5 is awesome once properly rebuilt
Old 23 February 2017, 08:43 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ryan51
First one has forged pistons.no mention of forged rods!
I never said it was. The fully forged comment was referring to the second one on the list.

As for just having forged pistons that's a good start regarding the issues of ringland failure.
Old 23 February 2017, 10:53 PM
big-kev
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know we all fear that engine failure but is the 2.5 that bad of an engine ? or is it the usual give it a bad name and ****e sticks ?
Just outa curiosity how may hatch owners have had to get a rebuild ? Are the engines failing due to the owners pushing the car to hard or as mentioned modifications/servicing etc.

I never liked the hatch or the 2.5 just because of the bad rep it had but i wasnt willing to pay 10k plus for a 10 to 12 yr old scooby so took a chance and bought a 2009 sti and i love it !
Old 23 February 2017, 11:18 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be looking at something far more special for a weekend only car! A Scoob is fun but not an event! I'd probably put an MX5 in front of an Impreza for a weekend ride!
Old 23 February 2017, 11:21 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by big-kev
I know we all fear that engine failure but is the 2.5 that bad of an engine ? or is it the usual give it a bad name and ****e sticks ?
Just outa curiosity how may hatch owners have had to get a rebuild ? Are the engines failing due to the owners pushing the car to hard or as mentioned modifications/servicing etc.

I never liked the hatch or the 2.5 just because of the bad rep it had but i wasnt willing to pay 10k plus for a 10 to 12 yr old scooby so took a chance and bought a 2009 sti and i love it !
Only 62 pages and two fingers from IM UK.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-failures.html
Old 23 February 2017, 11:24 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

And the engineering reasons the 2.5 is not great.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...That-Suck.aspx
Old 24 February 2017, 12:40 AM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
And the engineering reasons the 2.5 is not great.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...That-Suck.aspx
I can't say whether or not the 2.5 is fragile, as I don't have enough experiences of it....but the comments in that article demonstrate nothing.

He mentions the compression ring being too high, then shows a picture of a piston with seizure marks and the top ring land still intact (and yes, I saw the second land was broken, but the article implied it was the top land that fails). That ringland failure looks like a result of a failure, not the cause of a failure.

He then talks about pump gas, overzealous tuning and 7500 rpm causing failures.......

Well, duh no surprise there....

The 2.5 may or may not be fragile, but that article is a crock of ****.

(I am not having a go at you Trooper, I just hate these internet "expert" articles that are poorly cobbled together).
Old 24 February 2017, 07:19 AM
wrxben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
I'd be looking at something far more special for a weekend only car! A Scoob is fun but not an event! I'd probably put an MX5 in front of an Impreza for a weekend ride!
I have 3 kids and a Mrs that I still need to cart about and would also do the occasional trip down to Skegness in the car. I just think it would be practical and fun when I wanted, as someone else has stated I didn't want to spend my budget on a 12 year plus old car, I just feel the hatch is a more modern alternative and I do like them to look at, the rear end has grown on me over time!!
Old 24 February 2017, 07:20 AM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Cool Well...

TBH to spend 13k on a used Sti hatch is madness unless rebuilt. Having one from new and it failing at 16k no mods and never abused I speak from experience.

I personally think more than 40% of the early 2008-2010 hatches failed ... it was well past 20% (that's one in every five !) by 2010. It was a pandemic.

Lovely cars but really s---e engines ... forged only unless you won't listen.

And then not the 'drop in pistons' half fix - I'd want a complete forged build BUT these are only safe to400/420 bhp. More than that and it's only s matter of time. My expensive forged reputable build @450 lasted another 43k miles until the little ends spun a bearing and minced the whole engine.

Fact is the 2.5 is not a good engine to play with. JDM is the best way to go.

Sorry to rain in your parade. You'd get a nice Evo for that. Lol.

Last edited by Apostle; 24 February 2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 24 February 2017, 07:42 AM
wrxben
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest did the '11' plates and later saloons suffer the same issues? I agree upon reading the comments that a rebuilt car would be the way to go.
Old 24 February 2017, 07:50 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

I've got a hatch and I've got no record of mine having a problem (touch wood) and it's on 72,000.

its how how people treat them I think mate.
Old 24 February 2017, 07:53 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxben
Just out of interest did the '11' plates and later saloons suffer the same issues? I agree upon reading the comments that a rebuilt car would be the way to go.

I think for the price of them you're as well going for a forged one. They seem to be around the 13-15k mark which is the price bracket mine was in as well.
Old 24 February 2017, 08:01 AM
wrxben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wull
I think for the price of them you're as well going for a forged one. They seem to be around the 13-15k mark which is the price bracket mine was in as well.
Did they sort the engines by the '11' plates then? I am only asking as I don't intend to modify, so if the later cars were ok would I be better opting for one of those as I would end up with a newer car for my money?
Old 24 February 2017, 08:08 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Matty81
I've got a hatch and I've got no record of mine having a problem (touch wood) and it's on 72,000.

I agree partly matebut i have 3 mates that have had Subaru Hatch's and all three cars required forged rebuilds and not by choice,,,,,and one of them babied his car like mad oil and filter changes every 5 months whether the car needed doing or not and it still let go, their was a design fault in the makeup of that series/model hatch engine whether Subaru admit it or not...SJ.
Old 24 February 2017, 08:39 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

I do agree that if you can afford a rebuild it's a good way to go. My mate had to have his skyline forged because a piston went after the previous guy basically put mods on it without putting it in for a remap. Was your mates cars standard or was they heavily modified ?
Old 24 February 2017, 08:46 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Unless you have had it from new or checked its history documentation details you cannot tell.

I had one customers car in for a forged build & he said its never had any work done other than servicing, when checked properly it had had pistons 2 & 4 replaced at 16,000 miles, then at 31,000 it had had a replacement short engine all under its warranty, this was an early 08 car, which are the worst for failure, that said I have also had a couple of 2012's & a 2013 with failed ringlands at very low miles.
Old 24 February 2017, 08:46 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

I do agree that if you can afford a rebuild it's a good way to go. My mate had to have his skyline forged because a piston went after the previous guy basically put mods on it without putting it in for a remap. Was your mates cars standard or was they heavily modified ?
Yeah all were modified,but not to the extent that I would of thought that they would need to worry about it,i.e...exhaust,filter,remap...one had a turbo change as well....at the time he asked me for advice I told him a turbo change"SC42 BILLET"without a forged rebuild on his hatch 2.5 would be dancing with the devil two months later he found out that I was right.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 24 February 2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 24 February 2017, 08:55 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Hmmm!. I can imagine they was glad to find out that 2 and 4 had been replaced in its early life, I would be if that happened to me too be honest. I'd definitely contemplate having forged pistons put in mine to be honest just to be safe.