Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New rear pads today - **PLEASE HELP** squealing!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2017, 07:22 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default New rear pads today - **PLEASE HELP** squealing!!!!!

Hi all,

07 STi Spec D.

Can't wait to get the Ferodo rear brake pads out today and replace with proper Brembo ones.

The Ferodo's have been nothing but noisy, and clunky over the last year since being fitted. Really nasty when braking whilst reversing then pulling away again. To be honest the pedal / braking performance has been fine, I'm really only doing this for a better fitting pad.

I thought at first it was my rear diff or a rear CV joint or something, it sounded that bad. It's just slight pad movement, but I'm not living with it anymore.

They also now squeal like a piggy lol

Classic example of pay cheap....pay twice. Did get me out of a spot though for MOT last year, but if I'd known they'd be so bad I'd have gone Brembo, lesson learned.

The Brembo kit also comes with R clips, shims and grease, was hoping for pins and the retainer springs, but no joy - my old ones will be fine. The outer pads also have the squeal bar fitted.

Very very slight lip on the rear discs, but nothing major.
Goodbye Ferodo, you will not be missed!!

Hmm, the pins don't need greasing do they?, when reversing my new pads are squealing pretty bad. Possibly only OSR, forwards there's no squeals or clonking now which is good, but reversing no clonking, just squeals.

I put grease under and over the shims, and down the metal part of the sides of the pads, what have I maybe done wrong?

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 14 May 2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 15 May 2017, 11:46 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So the Brembo's are squeaking as well?
Old 15 May 2017, 11:55 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Only when reversing, I think they just need time to bed in. Much more biting power than the Ferodo's.

Pedal good.
Old 15 May 2017, 12:16 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

the rear calipers and pad hangers are 10 years old now, may be worth a good clean up, new seals if they are needed, it wouldnt take much dust to just bind a little bit,
it isnt going hurt either.
Old 15 May 2017, 12:27 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

That's next on the agenda, I should've done that yesterday really, I'll get some brake cleaner and gently use an old toothbrush I think that should do the trick.
Old 15 May 2017, 12:46 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like the Ferodo weren't fitted properly. Most aftermarket pads need a little fettling for them to operate smoothly. Calipers should really fully cleaned at least and preferable inspected and overhauled if required during each pad change.
Old 15 May 2017, 12:46 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

the hangers might need a bit of effort, those cheap 3 small wire/brush packs are useful for these types of area, the brushes are easy to control and not too big that you will damage the seals, and the nylon brush in the kit is good for the seals.