Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Looking to get back into a Scooby..

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2016, 06:08 PM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get back into a Scooby..

Hi all.

I had a Bug WRX a few years back running a VF34 and STI TMIC, 3" exhaust etc. (313bhp) and loved it - reg was Y98 PKW. Only issue I had was the bloody gearbox - I managed to go through 4 boxes in about 18 months and it eventually led to me selling the car because I'd had enough. I even had the last box rebuilt by API and apparently it still went a few months later (according to the next owner). I actually bumped into the next next owner about a year ago at Rockingham and he claimed that since I sold the car it had allegedly gone through another 11 gearboxes Why nobody ever just invested a couple of grand in the STI 6 speed conversion I'll never know, what a shame..

ANYWAY. I'm thinking of selling my MR2 Turbo now and getting another Scooby, just because I'm fed up of only driving my 'fun car' in good weather - ie. hardly ever

I'd love a V5/6 Type R running about 300bhp but am worried about a) gearbox weakness and b) buying a non-forged example.

Am I worrying about nothing? I don't want to go and splurge 8k on a nice example only to be back in the land of misery that the last Scooby landed me in!

The ideal car would be a classic 2 door with forged hawkeye running gear and 6 speed, but I imagine they're not up for sale very often!

Thanks, Calum
Old 26 October 2016, 10:44 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

what on earth were you doing to it to go through that many gearboxes?
Old 26 October 2016, 10:51 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Two
Hi all.

I had a Bug WRX a few years back running a VF34 and STI TMIC, 3" exhaust etc. (313bhp) and loved it - reg was Y98 PKW. Only issue I had was the bloody gearbox - I managed to go through 4 boxes in about 18 months and it eventually led to me selling the car because I'd had enough. I even had the last box rebuilt by API and apparently it still went a few months later (according to the next owner). I actually bumped into the next next owner about a year ago at Rockingham and he claimed that since I sold the car it had allegedly gone through another 11 gearboxes Why nobody ever just invested a couple of grand in the STI 6 speed conversion I'll never know, what a shame..

ANYWAY. I'm thinking of selling my MR2 Turbo now and getting another Scooby, just because I'm fed up of only driving my 'fun car' in good weather - ie. hardly ever

I'd love a V5/6 Type R running about 300bhp but am worried about a) gearbox weakness and b) buying a non-forged example.

Am I worrying about nothing? I don't want to go and splurge 8k on a nice example only to be back in the land of misery that the last Scooby landed me in!

The ideal car would be a classic 2 door with forged hawkeye running gear and 6 speed, but I imagine they're not up for sale very often!

Thanks, Calum
The question is why did you not invest a couple of grand in an STi box?
Old 26 October 2016, 10:32 PM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

Because the first gearbox went a week after I bought the car, put it down to bad driving.

Second time I thought maybe the replacement I'd bought (from Ebay) was fooked from the start.

Third time I began thinking of selling the car because it spent so much of it's life off the road. And then while I was trying to sell it I had to get the box rebuilt by API and because I was selling I didn't want to throw 2k at it

Honestly I thought it must be my driving, but for the next 2 owners to go through another 11 gearboxes I'm thinking there must have been an issue with the driveline elsewhere! 313bhp isn't THAT much for a Scooby, and I wasn't missing gears every shift, launching from every red light etc. I think the WRX box was just a bit pants!