Scooby clinic - ahoooooooo

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2015, 07:11 PM
Sheffielder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby clinic - ahoooooooo

Hi all,

I felt there was a genuine need to post this.

A few weeks ago i bought my scooby and decided i want to dyno run it (as I genuinely did not believe the figures corten miller where throwing at me - 330/340bhp, utter complete bollu*

so i started by reading up and asking around about where to go. thanks to many of you i had many recommendations and many of you had concerns. I appreciate all your input.

I hastly ordered my afterburner vortex decat non res and I fitted it 10mins after it arrived lol. ( a review re this will follow hopefully with some vids when i have time - project thread to follow).

but i wanted to focus just on the journey of mapping it. It was either RCM or SC for me. for me SC is both convenient and the recommendations did it for me and i had decided this is where i go until....... i started hearing horror stories and complete scare mongering by some members on here (truth has to be told).

I genuinely appreciate the concerns of you all, seen as I am genuinely a newbie. But i am not thick, i read up for 2 weeks b4 deciding what i wanted to do.

by the night b4 i was genuinely thinking about Fu* SC, and i was about to cancel my booking. but i though i would sleep on it an decide in the morning. In the morning i decided to bite the bullet and just go for it. worse comes to worse, if i felt they where messing me about i would just get in my car and drive off.

so 10am i arrive on site, my car gets dynoed. its down on power massively. Pat the Map (fu**ing awesome dude and a true professional) diagnosed it as a classic symptons of an air leak somewhere. So for the next 2/3hours beefy, one of the mechanics there (& best driver I have ever met! made me scared for my life 3 times on the test run after mapping...) stripped the car down and checked for leaks.

from memory we checked the air box, the turbo, the manifold, all pipes, cam belt timing. the car was basically not holding boost at high RPM. in the end Kev did a smoke test on my intercooler. It turned out I had a 5" crack in my intercooler and that was causing the boost issue.

First dyno run (contrary to what corten millers 340bhp) results where 260BHP

once i had my intercooler replaced it was back at 300bhp - and then it was mapped and we got 332bhp.

the car feels 100xs better, so much faster and all i can say about scooby clinic is they have genuinely got them selves a life time customer. I was treated with respect, dignity, they took their time, found the problem, resolved it and did not try and sell me anything (as people will make you believe).

I did end up buying some toys as below

rear ARB perrin 22mil & perrin drop links
perrin short shifter
wing stiffies (every scooby there had them on and i had to get my self a pair).

I was charged £480 for the remap, £240 for a used sti intercooler (yes a little steap but it was steam cleaned, smoke tested in front of me and fitted) and Kev game me a 5% discount on my perrin toys without even asking.

My only gripe was my new sti floor mats where pretty much ruined and the drivers door got scratched up (hairline nothing major) from the dyno wires.

as for the door the lads stayed behind and waited for us to get back from the test run and polished them out. and when i spoke to kev about my floor mats he offered to get the cleaned for me to perfection the next time i go in. I am booked in to have all my perrin toys free of charge courtesy of Kev.

to conclude, I went in bit wary driving a 260bhp wr1 and when i left i could not be happier, and of course drove home in a completely different car running at 332bhp. I genuinely could not be more happy. no one tried to sell me anything, everything I bought i asked for my self. I did not have any one sat on shoulder trying to convince me to buy this and that.

overall well chuffed!
pics and power graphs will follow later on

thanks for reading

BIG THANKS TO ALL THE LADS AT SC

esp BEEFY, KEV, ADAM, DAN AND OF COURSE THE MAIN MAN, PAT THE MAP.

Last edited by Sheffielder; 02 May 2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02 May 2015, 08:17 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Always good to hear some praise.
They're prices seem reasonable if i was closer i would definatley use them.
Old 02 May 2015, 08:25 PM
Sheffielder
Scooby Regular

well prices where in line with every where else thats why i went with them, very happy with the service they provided
Old 02 May 2015, 09:42 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said the used intercooler was a bit steep, but from I read of your post looks like they didn't charge 2-3 hours labour finding the fault, if so then your quids in IMO
Old 02 May 2015, 10:01 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

as we all say. pay cheap buy twice

and Kev's new saying he robbed from me.... quality remembered long after price is forgot
Old 02 May 2015, 10:26 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you got things sorted out

the clinic are great for actually trying to sort out and find problems, not just try to sell you stuff and hopefully cure the problem

a mate went down with his bug jdm sti, it wasn't making the power it should do (about 300bho IIRC). he decided on an sc42 turbo upgrade. that was fitted and it was only making 330bhp, various things were checked and checked again. thinking it might be a faulty turbo, a different sc42 was fitted and power was the same. after more investigation it was narrowed down to an exhaust restriction. the exhaust was replaced and mapped yet again. power was up and performing like it should (380bhp IIRC). all he was charged for was the turbo, exhaust and remap. he wasn't charged for the numerous dyno runs and 3 + hours of fault finding and dyno time.
Old 02 May 2015, 10:38 PM
Sheffielder
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Steve001
You said the used intercooler was a bit steep, but from I read of your post looks like they didn't charge 2-3 hours labour finding the fault, if so then your quids in IMO
more like 4 hours labour

I can't say this enough - the service I received was second to non

I wasn't charge a penny labour

A great bunch of lads at SC - i can't say that more
Old 02 May 2015, 11:10 PM
jacob360
Scooby Regular

wow after reading this it makes me want to use them its a toss up with sc or engine tuner due to spending half my time in different areas
Old 02 May 2015, 11:51 PM
AbbasSTI
Scooby Regular

Great result and service, happy days.
Old 03 May 2015, 12:24 AM
Sheffielder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jacob360
wow after reading this it makes me want to use them its a toss up with sc or engine tuner due to spending half my time in different areas
I can genuinely say this hands down

They spent hours trying to find the problem i was on the dyno ramp at 10am and was on there til 2pm

And then at 2pm various bits checked
at 4pm intercooler was diagnosed as being the colprit

And wasnt charged anything for labour
no one tried selling anything to me

just a good quality service, care, and every single one of the mechanics i approached stopped what they where doing to have a chat and answer my questions whilst they where working on other customers cars.

Friendly bunch and approachable
rite happy i decided to go down

you will not regret it mate

Last edited by Sheffielder; 03 May 2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03 May 2015, 12:39 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

glad you got sorted out mate, didnt realise you were up today, i poped in to grab a pork pie so wuld have said hello
Old 03 May 2015, 12:44 AM
Sheffielder
Scooby Regular

Was there yday
Old 03 May 2015, 12:46 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah, rocked up about 12.45 ish, had a couple of house viewings before so was a late show.

Pretty sure i saw beef and pat were mapping your car when i arrived, at least they were in a car ont he dyno anyway hahaha
Old 03 May 2015, 07:52 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Told ya they're a top bunch up there, all of them have helped me out big time, everytime I go there I get what you received, top service and always give me stuff stupid cheap as well as not charging for actual hours spent on my car, when problems crop up they not only have the parts and the knowledge they also have the will to get you on your way, glad you got it sorted.

All I can think when it comes to bad reports is that the people saying bad things must be proper d1ck heads that turn up with some beat up shed with loads of problems and expect it fixing for free or maybe 50 quid and guess what all the stories seem to turn out that way in the end.

All I have ever had up there is top service and them bending over backwards to sort me out.

The only problem is temptation.
Old 23 February 2018, 10:57 AM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
glad you got things sorted out

the clinic are great for actually trying to sort out and find problems, not just try to sell you stuff and hopefully cure the problem

a mate went down with his bug jdm sti, it wasn't making the power it should do (about 300bho IIRC). he decided on an sc42 turbo upgrade. that was fitted and it was only making 330bhp, various things were checked and checked again. thinking it might be a faulty turbo, a different sc42 was fitted and power was the same. after more investigation it was narrowed down to an exhaust restriction. the exhaust was replaced and mapped yet again. power was up and performing like it should (380bhp IIRC). all he was charged for was the turbo, exhaust and remap. he wasn't charged for the numerous dyno runs and 3 + hours of fault finding and dyno time.
Only just seen this Dave nice write up mate....
Old 23 February 2018, 11:33 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

That was 3 years ago. We've had the pot hole suspension massacre since then.
Old 23 February 2018, 11:55 AM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
That was 3 years ago. We've had the pot hole suspension massacre since then.
Yes. But c'mon... nobody's perfect.