ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

new cars vs scooby

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2015, 10:04 AM
sti ish
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default new cars vs scooby

hi all , last night on my way home from work i thought i would stop at the famous mcd's to grab a bite to eat

i stopped in the car park to eat it and there was a number of new cars sitting there and two young lads approach me and ask me my age and how they like the car

so i tell them im 24 and yes i own a sti its completely standerd so they go on to tell me there 17 to 19 there was 4 cars a seat leon cupra on a 09 plate golf gti on a 10 plate focus st3 and fiat abrath

no what annoys me is whilst talking to these lads being young myself and having owned a few nice cars i.e my rs2000 and a leon cupra r i have worked long hours and everyday since i have left school to afford my nice cars and pay for them

i dont do finance i prefer to buy my cars cash so im proud of my cars and myself for doing so well and keeping a clean liecense

anyway long story short out of all 4 only one works the guy with the st3 so i drove off the followed me the st3 was a bit of a slug but the gold and fiat where are hard push to get infront of but the leon i couldnt keep up with

i got some pritty high numbers and still couldnt keep up

so anyway it really gets on my **** as i clean my car to make it look good constantly there cars where rough as dogs new cars but didnt give a **** about cleaning them and racing around through towns at stupid speeds

i just couldnt belive it and hung my head in shame as i got home i thought should i have kept my cupra r but it didnt feel as fast nor as reliable in the corners as my scoob

but having a think on it how much bhp exactly is lost due to tramission ?
Old 02 March 2015, 10:18 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone will be along shortly, but I'll get there first

It's all about the twisties mate and putting the power down in the wet

Question? Are you happy with your Scooby? If the answer is yes, then who gives a f**k what other cars can do

Last edited by Steve001; 02 March 2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02 March 2015, 10:41 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unrealistic expectations?

Imprezas are not straight line speed cars.

There are plenty of modern turbo diesel euro boxes out there that will keep up if not out do you speed for speed.

No matter what you have there is always somebody with something faster.

Also Imprezas used to have respectable power figures. In the 90's a four door saloon with 220bhp was a lot! But these days the competition has caught up and Subaru have failed to up their game. Sad but true.

Last edited by FMJ; 02 March 2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02 March 2015, 10:48 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you buy a scoob to put some manners on every boy racer who fancies his chances, or because you like the car for what it is (and perhaps you didn't realise what it is).
The answer to the above should settle your troubled mind.
Old 02 March 2015, 11:00 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Short ratios, big ish turbo that's not particularly great and bog standard 265bhp with a giant spoiler on the back is not really a recipe for good straight line speed.

Change the turbo to something like an SC36 bin your cats fit a sports cat, fuel pump 3 port boost solenoid lose the spoiler and get it mapped then you'll have a decent weapon.

Or you could just buy a WRX Wagon with PPP, everyone knows it's the fastest Subaru ever made.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 02 March 2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02 March 2015, 11:10 AM
sti ish
Scooby Regular

yeah thanks for the replies so quick peeps

yeah i understand that it is an 12 yr old car and newer cars will be quicker, tbh i bought the scooby becuase ever since i was a wee boy i always wanted one so when i had the money i jumped at it and got a very good scoob.

im very happy with my car makes me smile every mile i drive

atm im currently storing parts for it , i have a plan to buy everything i need to get it to 400bhp and get it all fitted and mapped at once.

i think my problem could also be that in my cupra r it could upset a few cars i had it ported and a hybrid turbo and mapped all the goodies to go with it so it was just a tad over 300bhp on the front wheels wich was pants in the wet and pants if drove to the edge on a track tbh

with the scoob there a known car for being fast so i guess i was expecting it to eat most cars haha

so fellas now i dont really care for racing around the streets but like to have a bit of fun as i only use the car from friday to sunday do you recon a 400 or near as damit scoob will upset most people that try ?

i just remembered when i had my rs2000 i was driving to the pod and had a little race with a scooby it pulled out and went past with a pop and a bang so nice sounding i had such a smile on my face even though i got beat
Old 02 March 2015, 11:12 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Just enjoy it and don't worry about anyone else. You have the issue, not them!
Old 02 March 2015, 11:19 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Classic 20 year old TypeRA or TypeR or if you must choose a newage spec C RA
FTW
Old 02 March 2015, 11:19 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti ish
yeah thanks for the replies so quick peeps

yeah i understand that it is an 12 yr old car and newer cars will be quicker, tbh i bought the scooby becuase ever since i was a wee boy i always wanted one so when i had the money i jumped at it and got a very good scoob.

im very happy with my car makes me smile every mile i drive

atm im currently storing parts for it , i have a plan to buy everything i need to get it to 400bhp and get it all fitted and mapped at once.

i think my problem could also be that in my cupra r it could upset a few cars i had it ported and a hybrid turbo and mapped all the goodies to go with it so it was just a tad over 300bhp on the front wheels wich was pants in the wet and pants if drove to the edge on a track tbh

with the scoob there a known car for being fast so i guess i was expecting it to eat most cars haha

so fellas now i dont really care for racing around the streets but like to have a bit of fun as i only use the car from friday to sunday do you recon a 400 or near as damit scoob will upset most people that try ?

i just remembered when i had my rs2000 i was driving to the pod and had a little race with a scooby it pulled out and went past with a pop and a bang so nice sounding i had such a smile on my face even though i got beat
'im very happy with my car makes me smile every mile i drive'

There ya go, nuff said
Old 02 March 2015, 11:23 AM
sti ish
Scooby Regular

yeah god i love this forum

nuff is said smiles for miles i say

quick one of subject anyone know when there is going to be a scooby meet ? i have never been to one of just scoobys and i would love to have a gander at other peoples cars in the flesh
Old 02 March 2015, 11:28 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti ish
yeah god i love this forum

nuff is said smiles for miles i say

quick one of subject anyone know when there is going to be a scooby meet ? i have never been to one of just scoobys and i would love to have a gander at other peoples cars in the flesh
Have a look in the regional sections
Old 02 March 2015, 12:43 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

To rub salt into the wounds, I bet the Golf and Seat Cupra probably get better mpg and are cheaper to insure.

But I wouldn't be to upset those 2litre TFSi engines can take some serious power with a few bolt on mods, I bet the Seat Leon would be running close to 360bhp and through the Front Wheels(no tranny losses) they are seriously quick cars.

Ive had quick Front wheel drive cars in the past and the problem always comes to when the weather/roads are wet/damp, you cant use the power and you end up with just a normal car that turns into a beast only when ever the weather is decent. Its more frustrating then anything, At least with 4wd you can use the power on most surfaces, and therefore is a much safer car to drive!!!
Old 02 March 2015, 01:02 PM
sti ish
Scooby Regular

you just had to go there didnt you

insurance !!! well just bought mine today not to bad to be honest considering going from the cupra to this and im only 250 more a year really good price but bearing in mind have been shopping around for ages

and mpg come on man are you sprinkling a little lemon on that wound aswel!!

well yeah it was a surprise to me how good those cars actually are but again if it was a tight road and the driver has the kahoonahs im sure you could leave it behind ...

but let me tell you for the car i have even being 12 yr old i couldnt do the stuff those young lads where doing in theres i would be too scared to loose it ..maybe when i was 17 in my 106gti i had the ***** but it only cost 1500 quid these boys where racing in cars worth big money like it was distruction derby
Old 02 March 2015, 02:06 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to remember that when you are young you take far greater risks because you don't fully understand or care about the consequences. Life experience makes you realise how easily things go wrong and how horrific it can be when it does. It makes you realise that overtake won't get you far and could end a families life when at a you get age you just think that deeply.

I used to drive my first car like a bit if a dick looking back and would do things I wouldn't even try now in much more capable car.

Why? Because I have seen so many accidents and I value and understand life better at 30 then I did at 18.
Old 02 March 2015, 02:09 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
You have the issue, not them!
Good point. There's many who could benefit from having this tatooed on the inside of their eyelids
Old 02 March 2015, 02:54 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Wait til you get done by a mapped wrx.. That will be the real bummer!
Old 02 March 2015, 05:55 PM
joshnosh
Scooby Regular

the only thing that's "beaten" me so far is a VXR and that was starting at 50 on the motorway

just remember that there only beating you due to having bigger *****/less brain cells or common sense OR your in a perfectly straight line.

i was bored of FWD at 130bhp. enjoy your brilliantly handling car

that's the brilliant thing about these cars though, if you don't think there good enough. take out your wallet and push some notes in the scoop. there so easy to modify and there's so much info about
Old 02 March 2015, 07:12 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Most people these days pay monthly for a vehicle, 84% bmws sold at main dealer are on pcp or hp deals. I have a classic sat on my drive which i love, and getting a 435d xdrive. This dirty diesel will leave my classic standing but much rather have the classic. You can walk into bmw at the moment get a 1 series turbo sport hatch for £269pm with £269 deposit. Pay a a little extra and the monthly amount are sub £200 a month, change it every 18/24 months it works out fairly cheap
Old 19 May 2015, 07:12 AM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Man just get your car mapped and you start to see the smile drop off there faces.

Most hot hatches are around the 300 mark now, so you need at least 320+ to keep ahead
Old 19 May 2015, 10:36 AM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Ive just sold my modded cupra r. Was mental and would spin up in 3rd gear. Alot quicker than my old 336bhp bugeye. Im back in a 270bhp blob now and its so much better. Grip and confidence levels miles better. These new hot hatches sound good with 300bhp but bit of damp tarmac and they go no where fast.
Old 19 May 2015, 11:57 AM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

I've read the OP twice, and I have to say, this is one of the best riddles I've come across in a long, long time. A very clever and cryptic post, OP - I'll give you that, you sneaky devil. I'm normally quite good with these types of puzzles, but I'm completely stumped this time. Maybe I've missed something... or maybe I'm being stupid!? Maybe I'm drunk, although I doubt it as I haven't consumed alcohol in many months. Oh, I give up! What's the answer?
Old 19 May 2015, 12:18 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy
I've read the OP twice, and I have to say, this is one of the best riddles I've come across in a long, long time. A very clever and cryptic post, OP - I'll give you that, you sneaky devil. I'm normally quite good with these types of puzzles, but I'm completely stumped this time. Maybe I've missed something... or maybe I'm being stupid!? Maybe I'm drunk, although I doubt it as I haven't consumed alcohol in many months. Oh, I give up! What's the answer?

Hes looking for someone to tell him he is far better and richer the the MaccyD chavs and he has bought some kind of super car.....
Old 19 May 2015, 12:39 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

I know a few people with modified FWD hot hatches which are quick in straight line in the dry but as soon as you have damp road/track or twisty roads they are useless compared to an Impreza or Evo. Most modern hatches are running close or more bhp than what the old jap agreement was but I dont think there is a single new hot hatch I would take over an older Impreza, Evo, Skyline etc.
Throw in some decent upgrades and remap and few handling tweeks and the gap soon widens again
Old 19 May 2015, 12:57 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
Hes looking for someone to tell him he is far better and richer the the MaccyD chavs and he has bought some kind of super car.....
But because he now uses it daily, gets it dirty and lost his job recently he wants to prove his ***** is bigger than the Maccy D carpark crowd.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-the-rain.html

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 19 May 2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 19 May 2015, 01:23 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas

Ohhhhhh, I get it now! OP, you are far better and richer than the Maccy D chavs, and you are the proud owner of a supercar.

Thanks, Fatty.
Old 19 May 2015, 02:24 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

So, you're annoyed their newer cars are dirty? Or annoyed they might be quicker? Or annoyed you were in a McDonald's car park perpetuating the Scooby stereotype?
Old 19 May 2015, 06:06 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I have been to a few shows that have mainly modern hot hatch cars and most of the younger guys seem to know very little about the technical side of their cars & appear to have huge chips on there shoulders & stand around trying to look hard.You would be hard pressed to find a more sullen, ignorant, unfriendly bunch of morons.They just think their car is the best & everything else is rubbish.

I am also interested in the custom/hot rod/street scene & most of the the people there are really clued up on their cars & extremely knowledgeable
about most thing automotive.They will stand & talk to you for ages about their cars & usually have a great appreciation of cars in general.

Just my observations.
Old 19 May 2015, 08:26 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Classic 20 year old TypeRA or TypeR or if you must choose a newage spec C RA
FTW

^^^this
Old 19 May 2015, 09:58 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
So, you're annoyed their newer cars are dirty? Or annoyed they might be quicker? Or annoyed you were in a McDonald's car park perpetuating the Scooby stereotype?

All valid questions.
Old 20 May 2015, 02:10 PM
Mancunia
Scooby Newbie

Name:  3E92D878-9793-4677-8A32-6FC0F903A7A7_zpszlkx3tmf.png
Views: 0
Size:  412.3 KB

Quick Reply: new cars vs scooby