ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What have I done!!! - EDIT Cheshire Performance Cars Limited - READ

Old 20 May 2019, 08:53 PM
Scooby Stevo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickyPotter
Unfortunately yes CPC are still going.

I recently purchased a car from Cheshire Performance Cars (CPC), Manchester (09/06/18). My advice if you are considering buying from them is to avoid at all costs.

15 days & circa 500 miles after taking ownership I took the car to a garage for what I suspected was a puncture, to be told the inner of the alloy was corroded, causing the tyre to not seal with the rim, the tyre being spoilt also. The alloy would likely need refurbishing & the tyre would need replacing.

Not great news to receive, but this is a 2nd hand car & these things happen. I decided to call CPC to resolve the issue amicably. I was within 30 days of sale so I knew I had certain consumer rights on my side. CPC asked me to email them with my concern – their response was while they would be happy to welcome the car back for inspection, in this instance they needed to seek legal advice, & would respond within 7 to 10 days.

As of 04/08/18, CPC has not contacted me to resolve the issue, or made any arrangements with me to inspect the car or resolve my concerns.

The alloys weren’t the first issue others included:
  • Oil dashboard warning light came on within 100 miles, oil on dip stick below low mark
  • Brakes sticking
  • Struggles to start when cold
  • A brake dust shield was missing
  • AirCon not working
  • Windscreen washer is not providing enough liquid to clear the windscreen
  • Loud squeak when operating the clutch pedal
  • Clicking noise when setting off or breaking, this appears to be coming from the sub frame
  • Electric folding mirrors didn't work, needed shut off device repairing in one and replacing in the other
  • Under tray inspection panel secured with zip ties
Individually the issues may be inexpensive, I considered rectifying them myself rather than contacting the dealer. Up to the wheel being found to be corroded I was about at my limit for what I would consider fair condition. With an alloy needing refurbishing I felt it appropriate to contact the dealer to discuss resolving these issues, especially given CPC’s advertisement selling point of “Wheels Recently Refurbished”

Since then I have had the car inspected by ATS & RAC.

ATS found 3 of 4 wheels to be corroded & that 1 tyre was worn to the canvass.

Here are some extracts from the RAC’s inspection 15-page report:
“In the Engineers opinion the vehicle is in a poor condition for its age and indicated mileage”
“There is evidence of accident repairs. Bonnet repainted, REF wing repainted, RHF door repainted and roof repainted.”
“Some of the defects would attract an MOT fail”
“The extensive number of defects found on this vehicle are likely to prove costly to rectify”

The oil analysis came back with “wear metal readings are generally rather higher than we would like and the oil condition levels are elevated.”
Given the RAC’s assessment I contacted the DVSA to have the car re-examined, they found defects for which the vehicle should have been refused a test certificate. These were 2 major defects, broken coil spring & windscreen washer providing insufficient washer liquid, as well as 5 advisories for corrosion, brakes & exhaust. The MOT was issued 2 days before I took ownership of the car & had no advisories. For info the MOT was conducted by a third party, not CPC.

I have since been in touch with the finance company I bought the car through (within 30 days of the initial purchase) to seek to return the car. CPC is disputing it which I know breaches my consumer rights. The matter is still ongoing & I am prepared to see it through to the end – I am currently paying for a car that I can’t drive.

Did you actually view the car and drive it before you bought it, i'm not being a clever **** but you must have known these points when you viewed it ?
Old 20 May 2019, 09:04 PM
scoobiepaul
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Guessing this the same guys, completely crazy prices, i feel sorry for the sucker who buys that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...oAAOSwww5c4uro
Can't see that hanging around for long
Old 20 May 2019, 10:46 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Guessing this the same guys, completely crazy prices, i feel sorry for the sucker who buys that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...oAAOSwww5c4uro

Did all jdm cars not have rear quarter mounted aerials?!
Old 20 May 2019, 10:59 PM
RickyPotter
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby Stevo
Did you actually view the car and drive it before you bought it, i'm not being a clever **** but you must have known these points when you viewed it ?
Yes I did go and look at it, did notice some niggles which at the time seemed fair for age and price and put trust in the MOT it had just received. Some of the things I listed wouldn’t have been obvious when I viewed the car and only became apparent through a professional inspection.

if CPC had dealt with the corroded alloy problem reasonably I would have probably been unaware of the reams of other issues until the next MOT or when something decided to give out. Thank god they acted completely unreasonably (in my opinion) and raised my suspicions to dig deeper into the poor quality car I had unwittingly bought, and had time to act on my consumer rights.

DVSA did re-examined the car, they found defects for which the vehicle should have been refused a test certificate. These were 2 major defects, broken coil spring & windscreen washer providing insufficient washer liquid, as well as 5 advisories for corrosion, brakes & exhaust. The MOT was issued 2 days before I took ownership of the car & had no advisories.

The finance company also had the car inspected which corroborated the other inspections, and they ultimately acted in my favour to return vehicle and give me my money back.

For me the whole process was frustrating and stressful, all in all it took circa three months to return the car and have my money returned to me, and for the majority of that time I was stuck with a car on my drive that I couldn’t use, to add insult to injury I had to keep paying the finance until the matter had been resolved.

The inspections, small pieces of work and commuting I couldn’t claim for cost me around a grand.

Hard life lesson to learn, would definitely not personally recommend CPC given my experience. My advice is still that if you are considering buying from them is to avoid at all costs.

On the flip side I can say that Close Brothers who I took finance with dealt with this in my favour and professionally, whilst it was drawn out this appeared to me to be on CPC’s part, contesting absolutely everything and taking it to the eleven hour to respond to anything and everything.

The RAC inspection service seems to be fairly thorough and for the sake of a couple hundred quid is in retrospect worth the piece of mind. I’ve used them since this (before purchase this time!) and they gave the new car a strong recommendation and I’ve had no problems in the 9 months I’ve had it.
Old 20 May 2019, 11:54 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Hmmmm thats a very good point.

Originally Posted by Gambit
Old 21 May 2019, 06:29 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambit
No my old my97 typera had door pillar mounted aerial.
Old 21 May 2019, 12:46 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Must just be preface lift then? Although thats not facelift model?
Old 21 May 2019, 01:24 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

No they're very odd are MY96/97
My current MY97 was built in the same month as my old RA but has the aerial located on the boot lol

Last edited by ossett2k2; 23 May 2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 22 May 2019, 03:44 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

That is odd. My 1995 wrx was on the rear i think.