ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Blobeye WRX & STi differences in experience and drive

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2014, 08:06 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
you mean nobody takes any notice of the boring mundane wagon??
Nice one.

Not all of us feel the need to shout about our existence.
Old 20 October 2014, 08:07 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Nice one.

Not all of us feel the need to shout about our existence.
and not all of us want to put up with the under specced model,its personal preference
Old 20 October 2014, 01:52 PM
Animal Mother
Scooby Regular

For her, it's the overall looks, the stance, the sound, the interior (very important for her) and the performance. She is the sort that appreciates the best of things, not in a spoilt way, but in the way that she doesn't like to "settle" when she can have the best of something for little extra outlay.

For me, it's all of the above, plus the trick bits, the stronger internals and the potential resale value.
Old 20 October 2014, 02:39 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

what about the six speed box,the brembos,the avcs cylinder heads,the much stronger bottom end,the alloy suspension arms...not too mention a whole load of interior and exterior differences
As he said, he thought they were the only difference.
My WRX has alloy suspension arms.
Old 20 October 2014, 05:16 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

what about the six speed box,the brembos,the avcs cylinder heads,the much stronger bottom end,the alloy suspension arms...not too mention a whole load of interior and exterior differences
Tbh I didn't even know the WRX was lighter, faster and far better on fuel.

Think just the Wagon had steel arms as pointed out to you a few days back.
Old 20 October 2014, 05:21 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
Tbh I didn't even know the WRX was lighter, faster and far better on fuel.

Think just the Wagon had steel arms as pointed out to you a few days back.
probably and I'd say the wrx is slightly lighter and better on fuel but that's about it.
the extra weight in the newage is from a properly built gearbox to enable proper power to be ran through it.
mpg means nothing when you have bhp.
if mpg is a concern then the impreza is the wrong car for you.
Old 20 October 2014, 05:42 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised i got to page 2 before Dich made an appearance on a WRX Vs STI thread, he's usually first in...

It really is this simple OP......If you value your marriage then buy her an STI because if she finds out you short changed her with a WRX then you better have a good lawyer...
Old 20 October 2014, 05:50 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

probably and I'd say the wrx is slightly lighter and better on fuel but that's about it.
the extra weight in the newage is from a properly built gearbox to enable proper power to be ran through it.
mpg means nothing when you have bhp.
if mpg is a concern then the impreza is the wrong car for you.
Aye a gearbox that can handle more than the engine and double the 265hp from the factory. Shame they didn't give us the pump, intercooler and injectors too! The gearbox is only strong due to the ratios being so damn short, it's design is for corner matching at slow to moderate speeds.

The STI was certainly built around the Gearbox and Turbo Inlet hose.

MPG wasn't a concern hence I didn't know the WRX had significantly better economy before buying. It was about after 4 years of ownership when I realised too. Obviously 25mpg wouldn't quite put me off and STI but 18mpg would definitely scare me off buying an RX8 and 20mpg an RS4.

You come across as if owning an Impreza means you inherently have to push 330+

300bhp and braided brake-lines is a great real-world car. An STI at that just means extra piece of mind and the tools to push harder for longer.

I'll be honest my WRX was great at the levels of 280 and 300, at 330 it is a little unpredictable.

I've lost count of the drivers who have told me at power levels exceeding well above 350 that they don't bother with 1st-3rd gear or that they'd die if they launched in 1st. Many have said they floor the car and just hope for the best. Others further that their car just spins in every gear.

TBH I'd prefer a WRX at 400 bhp than an STI as the clutch, gearbox and bottom end are all considerably cheaper to replace. A 400hp WRX will also kill a 400hp STI. It'll be cruel how fast the WRX pulls away.

The STI Brembos, Gearbox and Bottom end wouldn't not have improved my 12.6 at York on the 12th. The STI engine would not have saved my bottom end from borewash.

Last edited by RS_Matt; 20 October 2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 20 October 2014, 05:53 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi

I have to agree with you there FT,why would anyone in there right mind buy a Wrx then start to modify it with Sti parts and then try to convince them self that a Wrx was the right model for them from the startStandard power=Wrx,modifying=Sti,Simples.Why do it twice just buy the right model from the start to suit your use.SJ.
My wrx has sti and other upgraded parts on it because subaru didn't make a blob sti wagon and i prefer the wagons.
Old 20 October 2014, 05:59 PM
Animal Mother
Scooby Regular

Well, we've just been and driven a WRX blob, allegedly running 240bhp (perrin hoses, induction kit and IC). Both Mrs AM and I were very "meh" about it. Lots of noise and commotion and not much else. Don't get me wrong, it was nippy, but not awe inspiring. Her 2.2VVTi Prelude is a better and more rewarding drive. It could well have been that car though, so I'm driving an STi PPP blob on Wednesday.
Old 20 October 2014, 05:59 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Aye a gearbox that can handle more than the engine and double the 265hp from the factory. Shame they didn't give us the pump, intercooler and injectors too! The gearbox is only strong due to the ratios being so damn short, it's design is for corner matching at slow to moderate speeds.

The STI was certainly built around the Gearbox and Turbo Inlet hose.

MPG wasn't a concern hence I didn't know the WRX had significantly better economy before buying. It was about after 4 years of ownership when I realised too. Obviously 25mpg wouldn't quite put me off and STI but 18mpg would definitely scare me off buying an RX8 and 20mpg an RS4.

You come across as if owning an Impreza means you inherently have to push 330+

300bhp and braided brake-lines is a great real-world car. An STI at that just means extra piece of mind and the tools to push harder for longer.

I'll be honest my WRX was great at the levels of 280 and 300, at 330 it is a little unpredictable.

I've lost count of the drivers who have told me at power levels exceeding well above 350 that they don't bother with 1st-3rd gear or that they'd die if they launched in 1st. Many have said they floor the car and just hope for the best. Others further that their car just spins in every gear.

TBH I'd prefer a WRX at 400 bhp than an STI as the clutch, gearbox and bottom end are all considerably cheaper to replace. A 400hp WRX will also kill a 400hp STI. It'll be cruel how fast the WRX pulls away.
cool story bro....I especially like the 400 bhp wrx will kill a 400 bhp sti bit,excellent
Old 20 October 2014, 06:06 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

cool story bro....I especially like the 400 bhp wrx will kill a 400 bhp sti bit,excellent
..........but Billy is special, you know....like Herbie.
Old 20 October 2014, 06:08 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by jayallen
..........but Billy is special, you know....like Herbie.
special as In needs....
Old 20 October 2014, 06:15 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

special as In needs....
Need of an STI gearbox to Improve my 1/4 times and because my wooden WRX box can't take 6k launches.
Old 20 October 2014, 06:18 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Need of an STI gearbox to Improve my 1/4 times and because my wooden WRX box can't take 6k launches.
and take the mud out of the budget tyres and fix the low compression and ....ive forgotten the other trolling crap know but im sure you will remind me
Old 20 October 2014, 06:20 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

and take the mud out of the budget tyres and fix the low compression and ....ive forgotten the other trolling crap know but im sure you will remind me
4 mystery bolts in the inlet manifold.
Old 20 October 2014, 06:27 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a room
Old 20 October 2014, 06:28 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Animal Mother
Well, we've just been and driven a WRX blob, allegedly running 240bhp (perrin hoses, induction kit and IC). Both Mrs AM and I were very "meh" about it. Lots of noise and commotion and not much else. Don't get me wrong, it was nippy, but not awe inspiring. Her 2.2VVTi Prelude is a better and more rewarding drive. It could well have been that car though, so I'm driving an STi PPP blob on Wednesday.
It would not be 240bhp unless it had been mapped and if it were mapped it would be running 280ish plus bhp, it was probably not even making the standard 225bhp due to un-mapped mods, so no real surprise you were under whelmed by it.

There is a lot of horse **** talked about Imprezas so in future before you even waste your time going to look at one let us know what the seller is "claiming" and we will tell you what questions to ask.
Old 20 October 2014, 06:30 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
I'm surprised i got to page 2 before Dich made an appearance on a WRX Vs STI thread, he's usually first in...

It really is this simple OP......If you value your marriage then buy her an STI because if she finds out you short changed her with a WRX then you better have a good lawyer...
Oi, lick my ball sack.
Old 20 October 2014, 06:47 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xline
Plenty of it happens right here
Too true.

Most of it by the STI fan boys.
Old 20 October 2014, 06:47 PM
Animal Mother
Scooby Regular

It would not be 240bhp unless it had been mapped and if it were mapped it would be running 280ish plus bhp, it was probably not even making the standard 225bhp due to un-mapped mods, so no real surprise you were under whelmed by it.

There is a lot of horse **** talked about Imprezas so in future before you even waste your time going to look at one let us know what the seller is "claiming" and we will tell you what questions to ask.
Well, it was claimed to be bog standard, so thought it would be an interesting/useful benchmark.

It rode like **** too, it had been in a front end at some point.

It had a circle earth system fitted, looks like snake oil to me.

It did have nice wheels though!
Old 20 October 2014, 06:49 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

TBH when I got mine it was 240bhp and it was very very slow if you didn't get on the power right in 1st gear and change aggressively into 2nd etc. Sure the TD04 comes in at 2500rpm but it takes ten years to get to 2500rpm with the long ratios. Even with 330bhp I can get badly embarrassed by Fiestas and Clios if I don't compensate.

Basically in a WRX if you are doing 30mph in 3rd and the Saxo VTS in front bolts and you floor it you will lose, if you shift to 2nd and floor it you will see 1955 flash before your eyes as you approach plaid. It's a car that will push nearly 60mph in 2nd. You just have to get the revs up and take advantage of the TD04's alacrity.

Perrin hose has been tested to give 10hp gains from fitting. Can't see 240 though unless the up-pipe or centre section cat has gone. .

Last edited by RS_Matt; 20 October 2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 21 October 2014, 12:52 AM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

TBH when I got mine it was 240bhp and it was very very slow if you didn't get on the power right in 1st gear and change aggressively into 2nd etc. Sure the TD04 comes in at 2500rpm but it takes ten years to get to 2500rpm with the long ratios. Even with 330bhp I can get badly embarrassed by Fiestas and Clios if I don't compensate.

Basically in a WRX if you are doing 30mph in 3rd and the Saxo VTS in front bolts and you floor it you will lose, if you shift to 2nd and floor it you will see 1955 flash before your eyes as you approach plaid. It's a car that will push nearly 60mph in 2nd. You just have to get the revs up and take advantage of the TD04's alacrity.

Perrin hose has been tested to give 10hp gains from fitting. Can't see 240 though unless the up-pipe or centre section cat has gone. .
My uk 5spd blob wrx does 70mph in 2nd and 100mph in 3rd! It's 320bhp and has vf35 turbo but you're right about the lag in 3rd at 30mph etc.
Old 21 October 2014, 07:49 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Any turbo car will be the same if your pootling about in 3rd gear at 1500 rpm, even N/A cars don't respond well in the wrong gear, it would be just as bad in an STI probably even worse, the gears are shorter but the turbo is bigger, so 6 and 2 threes.

Regardless of whether or not the perrin gives 10bhp, he's also got an induction kit and intercooler, presumably a fmic, un-mapped on a TD04 turbo must be fhooking horrendous and totally killed the whole point of a smaller turbo by introducing huge amounts of lag.

I can imagine that, wait for it, wait for it here comes the boost, loads of farting and then nothing.
Old 21 October 2014, 08:21 AM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Edit.

Last edited by MATT93; 21 October 2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: my bad.
Old 21 October 2014, 10:38 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

Get and drive a few.
I test drove 3 blob wrx's.
I test drove 1 blob sti. I came gone in said sti. It was as simple as that for me!
Old 21 October 2014, 11:09 PM
Animal Mother
Scooby Regular

Any turbo car will be the same if your pootling about in 3rd gear at 1500 rpm, even N/A cars don't respond well in the wrong gear, it would be just as bad in an STI probably even worse, the gears are shorter but the turbo is bigger, so 6 and 2 threes.

Regardless of whether or not the perrin gives 10bhp, he's also got an induction kit and intercooler, presumably a fmic, un-mapped on a TD04 turbo must be fhooking horrendous and totally killed the whole point of a smaller turbo by introducing huge amounts of lag.

I can imagine that, wait for it, wait for it here comes the boost, loads of farting and then nothing.
It was a TMIC. That said, your last paragraph is just right.
Old 21 October 2014, 11:39 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

It was a TMIC. That said, your last paragraph is just right.
Sounds like you had a bad car to give you your first experience but some just don't like turbo cars, you may well prefer a high revving Honda but obviously best to wait and see with a better example.

Subarus are a bit dull at times though, a bit tank like compared to a smaller car with a engine that will sing.

if fact just re read your post, I would hazard a guess that the car you drove was a typical wrx drive.

Last edited by Carnut; 21 October 2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 22 October 2014, 12:39 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Not if it drove like ditch's last sentence, no. Unless my car is more unstandard than I know about.
Old 22 October 2014, 02:21 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by Carnut
Sounds like you had a bad car to give you your first experience but some just don't like turbo cars, you may well prefer a high revving Honda but obviously best to wait and see with a better example.

Subarus are a bit dull at times though, a bit tank like compared to a smaller car with a engine that will sing.

if fact just re read your post, I would hazard a guess that the car you drove was a typical wrx drive.

bloody hell changed your username but still talking crap.... at least its not about a 2.5 this time

Quick Reply: Blobeye WRX & STi differences in experience and drive