Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Civic Type R/Scooby Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2002, 03:41 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think hes talking about the 1595cc CTR (ie 1.6), with 182bhp @ 8200rpm.
And the new Civic is a 2.0, 1998CC one, which may be a from a Japanese manufacturer, but it is British built - so in a manner of speaking the Japanese effectively import it from here.

I'm unaware of a 1.8 CTR (although I admit that I'm no expert). I thought it was just the Integra Type R with a 1.8? I thought the Civic Type Rs were previously 1.6, but with the new one were 2.0.

Anybody confirm?

[Edited by JohnMcC - 6/2/2002 3:42:44 AM]
Old 01 June 2002, 02:43 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RESPONSE TO CIVIC TYPE R COMMENTS: HOW DOES ONE REPLY TO AN EXISTING THREAD PLEASE WITHOUT HAVING TO START OF A NEW ONE?

I drove one of these 2 weeks ago for about a couple of hours over a mixed variety of roads and I have to disagree with your comparison with the Scooby. For starters overtaking was a quite different experience. I'm used to the massive kick you get when you floor a Scooby, nowt there when you do the same with a Type R.

Now I'm not saying the Type R is not a good car, however saying its equal to a Scooby, IMHO, is a little wide off the mark

Regards
WB
Old 01 June 2002, 02:57 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Depends what Scoob u mean - I think there is very little difference between a standard CTR and a standard MY01> WRX.
Old 01 June 2002, 07:05 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Scroll down until you see the reply button and press it
Old 01 June 2002, 01:13 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

P1,

I was comparing the Type R with a 2000 year model car (ie the last of the old shape). While on paper the performance figures would lead one to believe that we should all be mindful of this little devil, driving one does not leave me with that impression.

In terms of driving characteristics, roadholdng, point & shoot capability, sure footedness, etc, there is just no contest. Nevertheless the Type R is a very good car.

regards

WB
Old 01 June 2002, 02:59 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

I own the JDM CTR with the 1.6 N/A engine in, standard Scoob be it 00 or 01 V standard, there is nothing in it.

Different market to compare IMHO
Old 01 June 2002, 03:50 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

There is a comparison??, Suppose... they both have 4 wheels, and windows.. One is a front wheel drive bit of ****, which needs to be revved, to get it to move out of your driveway, the other is an enjoyable car to drive.
Old 01 June 2002, 06:10 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Nah, I doubt these cars are particularly comparible. I'm a good driver and very good and keeping the revs up in the Saxo but every time I take on tight hairpin turns on my favourite twisties I get caught in no-mans-land between 1st and 2nd! Everytime, I think, hmmm a scooby would have just put two car lengths on me there! You might think you can VTEC it all the time but even with 6 ratios your bound to get caught out sometimes! IMHO
Old 01 June 2002, 08:31 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Angry

Stevie Turbo you must be from the world where nothing can beat a Scooby right, the standard Scooby understeers more than the CTR anyway.

I can guarentee i have just as much fun as a Scooby driver, i have driven both have you ??????????

Anyone who knows me, which many do off this board will understand this is not a general dig at a Scoobys, as i think they are excellent car, and many will tell of Track stories where i more than hold my own on the track.
Old 02 June 2002, 02:41 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

No, I havent driven both, so may be a little unfair to comment. However, I didnt say a subaru was unbeatable, just that it was an enjoyable car to drive. But, the most important thing, I believe, is that with the honda there is very little, or no easy tuning potential. At least the subaru can be made to go faster for a relatively small amount of money. And front wheel drive is crap no matter who makes it. And the new civic is hideous looking... UGLY CAR!! Revs just arent my thing, power and torque are. Turbo engines do both. As for subarus, I only own a legacy turbo, which is just a play car really for track days ( and racing and beating imprezas of course )etc, and could probably buy one for each day of the week, for the price of one new type R civic.
Value for money plays a big part. No new car gives value for money in my book.
Old 02 June 2002, 02:50 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

And the new civic is hideous looking... UGLY CAR!!
Of course, looks are undoubtedly one of the Scooby's strong points.....

Old 02 June 2002, 03:25 AM
02WrXsTi
Scooby Regular

Hey Type R u dont know what ure saying JDM CTR'S are a 1.8 liter DOHC VTEC w/ 185 h/p to the flywheel.learn ure car's and where do u live cuz CTR'S are japanese unless u imported it from japan.
Old 02 June 2002, 10:31 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Private import from Japan.

I own the B16B which is a 1.6.

I have plenty of fun in my car so im fussed.
Old 02 June 2002, 12:01 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I have driven a Civic Type R and it is good at high revs. At least 70 lbft less than a standard Scooby in the midrange.
Old 02 June 2002, 06:59 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Seems I've opened a can of worms here. Type R, I'm glad you are pleased with your car. If you can make your presence felt on the track against Scoobies then respect to you. That calls for some seriously good driving.

However I was making my points from a real world scenario where eg masses of torque low down the rev range to get you past someone very quickly is the order of the day, followed by the absolute certainty of grip that 4 wheel drive gives you, etc, etc.

I used to drive a Renault 19/16V (fine car, one of the best of its time). Problem was I spent my whole life revving the boll$$cks off it to get it to do the kind of things that I don't even think about in the Scoobie. Result; 3 synchro's lost by the time the car was 3 years old, etc.

At the end of the day you are happy with your car and that's the way it should be.

WB
Old 02 June 2002, 07:10 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Agreed whacky, everytime I push the Saxo I feel like I'm putting stress on all the components - particularly clutch and gearbox - with the red-line gear changes. It's frantic go-cart like nature is possibly more 'fun' than the scooby but I think I'd prefer the more subtle but blisteringly quick cross country performance of an Impreza. I respect Honda cars now, never much cared for them before but the last few months I've come to realise nobody can touch them for NA engines. I just don't feel the type r and scooby are comparible though, they both have such different methods of power delivery.

Quite often following a tussle with scoobies I wonder why I want one so much when they are not much quicker Then I look down at the blistering hot tarmac and imagine it wet with leaves and a smattering of mud and realise that every advantage the scooby had over my FWD car was not being used on such a nice dry day.
Old 02 June 2002, 09:58 PM
BOBBY G
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have driven a load of cars and now come to a simple conclusion.
There is no point comparing a Civic to an Impreza. One is Hot Hatch, and one is Performance Saloon. Hot Hatches are whizz bang thanks for a bit of a laugh....but they are NOTHING compared to a bit of AWD Turbo big car oooomph.

Anyway, every Honda V-tec car on the planet bugs the hell out me. So dissatisfying to drive......must rev ...must...rev...must rev.....ooooh I am tired...take a rest.
Old 03 June 2002, 01:14 AM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

CTR looks gay IMHO, like an MPV. If they brought out a hot Xsara Picassao or Megane Scenic I would not drive that either. Even if it could just about keep up with a Scooby with the wind behind it. At least the Integra TR looked OK but I think the CTR is strictly for the "Baby on Board", "If you can read this you are too close" crowd.
Old 03 June 2002, 07:45 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Im fighting a losing battle on a Scooby forum, but anyway.

I have to say im not a great fan of the new CTR, and its breadvan looks, but it is a fine car, but nor am i a fan of the new WRX, which has alsays looked a cross between a Toyota Corolla and a Mondeo on steroids.

As for in the wet handling, i dont have any problems staying with Scoobs, or Evos except the highly tuned ones , as my good buddies know on the various Scoob, and Evo meets i have attended, yes i have to down change and rev the knackers off it, but that is half the fun, bouncing it off the 9000RPM limiter, atleast im confident in knowing pistons won't snap, and big ends going .

Right im off to the Honda forum :;

Old 03 June 2002, 08:55 AM
stu_allen
Scooby Regular

CTR looks gay IMHO, like an MPV. If they brought out a hot Xsara Picassao or Megane Scenic I would not drive that either
Not many MPV's that you can only fit 4 people in...
Old 03 June 2002, 09:39 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I don't think your fighting a loosing battle Type R I just think trying to compare two cars that cannot really be compared. A lot of the arguments on scoobynet come down to what your car can do in a straight line. I've now saved up £4k to contribute towards my purchase of a scooby but if I wanted I could keep the Saxo and buy a bike with that money - then I could hammer any scooby ever built in a striaght line. What's the point though, they can't corner so well, you have to wear silly amounts of leather and I don't trust myself on one! You've always got to look at the complete package. Even when compairing scoobies I'd rather have a mint UK MY99/00 than a beat up (but faster) MY94 WRX - the interior alone wins that battle
Old 03 June 2002, 10:15 AM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

There was a Civic Type R at the last track day in Mondello Park here in Ireland and it was flying!!! Granted it was being driven by an ex BTCC racer but it certainly wasn't slow and I had a job to stay in front of him . Pride alone wouldn't let him pass me

Paul.
Old 03 June 2002, 11:47 AM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Not many MPV's that you can only fit 4 people in...
Agreed but it does look like this
......________
... /..............|
..-................|
/- O ------ O =

Old 03 June 2002, 11:49 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Right
First of all, the honda looks like a Pug 307 (which is a better all round family hatch IMHO and when a Hot version is out it will kick some Honda butt )
Secondly, the thing about the scoob is the all round ability in both wet and dry conditions and also its mid range torque, something still lacking in hot hatches.
A hot hatch through the gears will be more of a close call but in gear a scoob will leave it, no problems.

Tony
Old 03 June 2002, 01:33 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Wink

But Scoobys brake

Saxoboy I never said i would compare them to each other, I replied to a post which did.