ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

08 Boxer diesel Legacy - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2014, 01:54 PM
Gingershau
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Boxer diesel Legacy - HELP!

Hi everyone. I'm hoping all of you Scooby experts may be able to help us with your vast knowledge of all things scoob. My apologies in advance, it's a bit of a saga but I'll try to keep it short!

My OH bought a 08 boxer diesel Legacy in Dec 2012. He is a mechanic... this was his dream car. He bought it off a Subaru dealers here in Ireland. He took it at a discount (€13000) with no warranty on it (car was in mint condition with only 150000 km on it). Sometime about 6 months ago the car started acting up. He could hear a knocking noise out of the engine and loads of smoke coming out of the exhaust intermittently. He serviced it himself every 6 months with only genuine Subaru parts and brought to the dealers to re-set the injectors and the service after each time he serviced it. We left it to the local Subaru dealers twice for tests to find out what was the problem... both times we were told they couldn't find anything wrong after doing the diagnostic checks. They said the next step was to take the heater plugs out to check the compression, but the heater plugs were siezed in it and they wouldn't force them in case they broke. He went back to the original dealers we bought it off and this dude sent him up an additive to add to the diesel and he reckoned this would clear it out. He did this and it helped for about ten days.

After that, he was driving into work and the car stalled in the middle of the road. Lights on, no noises or anything, just dead as a dodo. We had it towed to the dealers. They said the engine is siezed completely - no movement at all. They want €1000 to take the engine out to complete a report which will be sent to Subaru. Subaru Ireland said once this report is complete (which I was told originally would only cost €60 to €70) they will then determine if they will cover any cost of parts/labour etc. The dealer reckons that if they would cover anything it would be parts alone (a new engine) and that we would have to pay the cost of the labour (I'm told somewhere in the region of €2000 to €3000).

So that's where we are now.... screwed - pardon the vulgarity. We don't have €3000 to €4000 lying around to cover the labour so it's a stale mate and we're about to sell it for whatever we can get for it as it is (sod all).

Does anyone know if we are entitled to anything more than the above? It seems really crazy to me that we would have to foot all this money for something that is obviously a fundamental fault with the engine? He minded the car like a small child so it wasn't from engine neglect or anything like that.

Any/all opinions or help GREATLY appreciated! Thanks a million!!
Old 22 July 2014, 04:09 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Maybe have a read of this, I dont like to ruin a good story but in the end he wins.

Not sure what else to say, bad things happen to good people, hope you can get something sorted.

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...d-to-take.html
Old 22 July 2014, 04:18 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problems. I had the engine on my 08 MY diesel legacy go pop at 50K miles ( seized solid at 70 mph )

Car out of time warranty but fixed free of charge by Subaru UK ( Dealer cost estimate 10K ! ) as there is a known manufacturing issue on cars built between autumn 2007 and Feb 2009. Don't expect the dealers to tell you about it though.
More Info here.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...oblems-124130/

I did not have to pay anything to the dealer to remove the engine and send report to Subaru, that's taking the p IMO. Get on the net and arm yourself with as much info on the problem as possible and get into the dealer with it.

If you want any further help/info let me know

HTH
Old 22 July 2014, 04:25 PM
Gingershau
Scooby Newbie

Thanks a million for that Chris J T. We thought of maybe going down the court road but as the damage is in the thousands, it would be too high to go through small claims court.. and we definitely couldn't handle the cost of regular court. Thanks so much Pacenote! That is really useful and the kind of thing I have been hoping to find online but couldn't so far. Thank you both so much.
Old 22 July 2014, 04:44 PM
Gingershau
Scooby Newbie

Pacenote, would you be able to tell me which dealers in the UK repaired your Legacy? I'm hoping to find an official quote from Subaru stating the known problem and thought seen as they repaired yours they might have that... I could go back to Subaru Ireland with that then? Sorry to bother you again! Thanks
Old 22 July 2014, 07:13 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

PM sent