Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

The Four and the Rotary

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2013, 09:17 AM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The Four and the Rotary

Righty then had the car for a week now time to crack on and get personalizing!

I actually, and maybe stupidly have 2 projects on the go now. Although i'm not allowed to call the scoob a project as i'm supposed to be using her as the daily driver.... be we all know its a project really

Anyway

I also have a Gen II RX7 on the go which has been though various stages of tune. It was a very nice very clean stock car..... but that didn't last more than the time it took to drive it to the workshop and get stuck in.

The Impreza. I have posted some pics in the Members gallery but felt a project thread was need to the pair of them. Don't worry I'll keep the rotary stuff to a minimum i know it freaks you people out

The current spec on the Impreza is:
EJ25 Crank, Arrow rods and Weisco pistons. ACL bearings, APR bolts and studs. 'competition' head gaskets, Simtek ECU, Modded oil pump and oil cooler. Oil crank case breathe system and drain. MD321T (not sure if billet i haven't looked). 740cc side feed injectors and I'd assume Walbro pump but can't find receipt for part or fitting so need to get in the tank and check it out.

STI 8 6 speed box with Spec C prop and diff.
Again no real info on the clutch but assumes its an organic for the hp of the car.
STI 8 Brembo conversion front and rear with STI 8 discs

Quick re cap on the car:

Now as in the members bit the Blitz has lost all its wadding so that cam off and one of my mufflers went on as a temporary measure until I get the new material in to re-do the whole system.

Also I have changed the HKS SQV for a Tial 50mm item and the Blitz SUS for a BMC Twim Power and mashed a new pipe together to suite.

Its all getting a bit multi coloured under there which is slightly aggravating nut we'll address that in time

Last edited by seventune; 02 June 2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 24 August 2013, 09:22 AM
seventune
Scooby Regular

As for plans:

GT3076, 44mm external W/G, in place of the MD321T with custom air box
Top feed fuel rail conversion and fuel system re vamp
Will be twisting the inlet/ alternator relocation
V-mounted intercooler system in place of the front mount

Chassis mods will be there after
Currently on BC coilovers will change them for Ohlins or Nirtons.
Usual Anti lift/drop link roll bar/ arms and braces. Not decided on manufacturer/brand yet tho. CDF Racing do some nice bits.

Then just a general tidy up and whip round to get it where I want it.

Last edited by seventune; 02 September 2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 24 August 2013, 09:24 AM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good mate, it looks good before you started lol
Old 24 August 2013, 09:40 AM
seventune
Scooby Regular

As for the RX7! Just briefly

As purchased

wide arches on the rear + rims + coilies. I also did the Racing beat Adjustable anti roll bars and adjustable end links. And the rear toe eliminator and bump steer kits.

Exhaust mod as the Greddy twin system as shot and too quiet

Microtech Dash unit and LT10s ECU

Turbo motor came out in favour of a lightened balanced Peripheral port 13B on 55mm ITB's with custom 'long' primary headers

Set about the body work. This went through various forms but I'll keep it short! It did go black but then I decided to go more extreme with the aero for a kind of time attack theme! Took 2 or use 2 full days to get the rear arches in!

GT style wing design and prototype design on the front archs and skirts.

More body chopping

Next exhaust for the under side of the car in the process

All mocked up

This is up side down show you how the pipes run but all welded

Last edited by seventune; 02 September 2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 24 August 2013, 09:43 AM
seventune
Scooby Regular

brakes:

Pedals

My Swirl pot/70ltr fuel cell

Last edited by seventune; 02 September 2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 24 August 2013, 09:48 AM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Re attacked the front wings to take the 18x10's

And the rear arches and skirts and repainted and ended up like this!

and that's that ................. for now!

Last edited by seventune; 02 September 2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 24 August 2013, 09:50 AM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000*
Looking good mate, it looks good before you started lol

Yes its a great car the scoob. Perfect for my needs. The base there awesome to just refine the mods and get it where I'd like it to be.
Old 24 August 2013, 12:38 PM
crookedvulture
BANNED

Default RX7

Love what you have done with the Mazda,An awful lot of effort gone in to it but looks well worth it.Good stuff,Looking forward to seeing some more?
Old 28 August 2013, 11:50 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Cheers people. Yeah the RX has been going a while. It kind of had a bit done then sat in a corner for ages.... then changed my mine on the direction of the project, did some more than it sat again..... Wheels are off at the moment getting stripped for re painting.

Threw a hint of neggy camber in the wheels today as they where all sitting a little up right and felt a bit skittish. She's nicely hunkering down in the bends now.

Well I dug a set of RC top feed injectors I had from an older project. As I recalled they where 720cc top feeds. As it turns out they are 750cc. So not much but 10cc bigger than the 740cc side feeds currently in the car. Nothing wrong with a touch more fuel! Main reason for the change is a re vamp of the fuel system so -6 lines, billet rails etc. Still need to get in the fuel tank and see what pump is in there.

Will also be re addressing the wheels at the weekend if the weather is good. Time for a colour change

Last edited by seventune; 02 September 2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 30 August 2013, 11:20 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Cleaned the injectors up today..... The pic makes the spray pattern look off but they are 100% bang on

Now just need the top feed rails now

What do we think..... 18x10 ET12's ?

these are off the rx7. Could resists an offer up for a giggle. They are shod in 285's.

Last edited by seventune; 02 September 2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04 September 2013, 09:11 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Had a little play with some alternator ideas for the reverse manifold. No Air con on this one anyway so didn't have to uninstall that which was handy. But the alternator is still in the way. Had a good hunt around for various 'off the shelf' options. In my view for what they are any where between £200/300 is way too much for a bracket and adjuster, billet or not.

So I modded hacked and butchered the stock mount bracket and used an aftermarket adjustable 'dog bone' from the lower shock mount that should have been used on a K7 GSX-R. The only thing I have left to find, which I will do tomorrow, is a belt from the auto factors down the road.

The bracket still needs finishing/shaping and general beating but this gives you an idea.

I'm considering ditching the power steering but which the future prospect of running 18x10's all round i'm not sure. The RX now runs 18x10's all round but with a manual rack and that's not that heavy... might disconnect it see how it feels. I would like a quick rack though!
Old 08 September 2013, 06:44 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Well its been an interesting couple of days on the car! Was a relatively straight forward brief. Thermal spacers in. Reverse inlet. Move turbo over. Service. sorted. So early Saturday I started pulling her apart for the manifold mods went something like this :

Thermal spacers from CDF. Big thanks to them for making a special trip to the post office on Friday to get them to me for Saturday morning.

Now with the inlet off spacers ready to go on and plugs etc all changed I did as a normal petrol head would do. Gave the turbine wheel a spin. That unfortunately caused concern. The play back and forth was very excessive. Then having a look down the inlet at the impeller we have a bent blade. This has obviously been like this for a while and thrown the wheels out of balance and screwed the bearings causing the massive play in the shaft. I had intended to replace the turbo in time but not this soon. Unfortunately in the shop we only had a range of GT3071's with internal wasted housing's, a pair of GTX 35's, a pair of 4091's and a GT4202..... so noting suitable. So a decision was made to re fit the MD321 with external wastegate mod until the GTX3076 get delivered then the MD321 will go off for rebuild and sale.

but for now here is some pics

Power steering was also removed.

Now with the inlet reversed some of the wiring needed to be altered to reach the throttle body and coils.

All installed

Up pipe modded with turbo refitted and 38mm Tial gate.

The test fit. You can see the gate tucked away

Will get the rest of the parts done tomorrow get her back on the road.

Last edited by seventune; 02 June 2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10 September 2013, 08:21 AM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Needed to get the car back on the road as it's the daily driver. Bit of a rush to get a few bits back in the engine bay. I'm going to remake the header tank and re locate to the back of the engine bay for now. Map sensor and boost solinoid need to be moved also.

But she's in and running sweet.

Last edited by seventune; 02 June 2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 16 September 2013, 01:18 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

May have just ordered a GT35..... accidently on purpose....
Old 16 September 2013, 07:00 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice bit of fab work done there mate, A bit of advise on the intercooler, You can flip it upside down so the inlet/outlets are at the top rather than at the bottom so you can reduce the pipe work, You should be agle to take it from the turbo to under the inlet depending on spacE but you will have to relocate the header tanke, As you seem to be pretty handy with a welder and didn't notice you mention it....It's a doddle for you

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 16 September 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 16 September 2013, 09:46 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Nice bit of fab work done there mate, A bit of advise on the intercooler, You can flip it upside down so the inlet/outlets are at the top rather than at the bottom so you can reduce the pipe work, You should be agle to take it from the turbo to under the inlet depending on spacE but you will have to relocate the header tanke, As you seem to be pretty handy with a welder and didn't notice you mention it....It's a doddle for you
Yeah cheers dude. It's all a bit thrown together at the moment. I'm actually going v mounted in the near future once I've got time to fab up the tanks for the rad and intercooler. I'm still in the process of specing the core size on the i/c for the v mounted set up. The turbo will more than likely also be moved depending on a couple of other bits
Old 17 September 2013, 02:27 PM
RoyPinhey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see some custom fab work
Old 17 September 2013, 03:28 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Shot my oats over your RX7 matey! Wow! More pics required! Screw the Impreza lol
Old 05 October 2013, 11:11 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

So some of you may have seen the GT35/GT40 thread in the tech area of the forum. After speak to RCM/TDI and few other tuners that have had first hand experience with the GT40 (and I happen to have two of them) that's the choice, for the minute, of turbo. Its a GT4094R with .82 T4 divided housing. I also have .95 and bigger but the smallest option is best suited for the current 'test'.

Basically I have the GT40 so its going on. The worst case is that its a nightmare and I then have to purchase a GT35 on a T4. So nothing really to loose.

So the plan is to get the 40 on there, modify the current manifold and up pipe to suite the Twin Scroll turbine. Swap the injectors and rail out and see what happens. In the mean time i'm keeping my eyes out for a pair of AVCS heads that I will build up off the car then fit once the appropriate porting has been done and cams etc have been fitted. Then I get to see first hand how the 40 performs on a 2.1 stroker. From the hand full of Dyno read outs I have managed to get an eye ball on i'm pretty excited.

Here's is a peak at where the turbo will be sitting. Ignore the mod to the compressor cover. That was needed to suite the Kawasaki it came off.

Old 06 October 2013, 01:28 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

sorta powers the rx7 making buddy? Peripheral porting
Old 06 October 2013, 04:24 AM
seventune
Scooby Regular

The 13b peripheral part is N/A so around 300hp.

The triple rotor once built and and in ..... I'm hoping for over 600hp.
Old 09 October 2013, 05:58 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Look what just turned up

Old 23 November 2013, 07:42 AM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Aaaaaand bang goes the motor!
Old 23 November 2013, 08:16 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by seventune
Aaaaaand bang goes the motor!
GT40'S you got to love em...SJ.
Old 23 November 2013, 08:32 AM
seventune
Scooby Regular

The 40 isn't on it yet. It went bang with MD321T on it. Never got a chance to get the 40 on.
Old 23 November 2013, 08:55 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by seventune
The 40 isn't on it yet. It went bang with MD321T on it. Never got a chance to get the 40 on.
The GT40 can cause the same symptoms on A fragile engine fast believe that,but still Sorry to hear your problems mate,what's it going to take to get it up to speed again?.SJ.
Old 23 November 2013, 09:12 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

**** the impreza....love the 7 project, nice work fella.
Old 30 November 2013, 05:58 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Righty got back home a little earlier from work so set about the engine bay. Will pull the motor tomorrow but had a play with the turbo anyway! I did also find that all the water was in the sump mixed up all lovely with the oil. Plenty of metal in the mix too! Will see the damage once its back at the shop next week.

Here is a comparison of the MD321T and the GT4094

I have two options in mind with the GT40. Either a more stock twisted location :

Or my personal preference. This would be easier if I ditched the master cylinder and servo etc which I would do if I could afford to currently throw a OBP pedal box in there but with all the other stuff that needs to be done an extra £400 on a pedal box isn't a must at the moment. Still with the turbo here I can build the air box under the scoop and mount the shiney wastgates up top for no other reason than they look cool!

Apologies for the flash was getting dark but you get an idea

Last edited by seventune; 02 June 2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 30 November 2013, 06:08 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

I Managed to get a set of EJ22 Crank cases that have had the machining work done to take the 2.5 crank and rear thrust bearing mod. I'll get a set of 97.5mm pistons in there and build up a 2.35. The cases have already been machined for the 14mm stud conversion so i'll get a set of RCM studs and bolts to suite.

Don't know the state of my heads until I get the motor apart next week. If they are ok then I'll put my STI 5 heads back on for now and build up a set of AVCS heads in the back ground get them on at a later date.
Old 01 December 2013, 10:57 PM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Some pics of the motor coming out. I'll get it stripped tomorrow see what the internal damage is. You can see from some of the pics that some of the valve guides are in bits and in one cylinder missing. Heads are full of oily/water. Definite screwed motor.

Last edited by seventune; 02 June 2015 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: The Four and the Rotary