Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck for sunday and see you there try and enjoy the drive there
Old 08 June 2013, 01:02 AM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnson12
Good luck for sunday and see you there try and enjoy the drive there
setting off about noon tomorrow and just gonna cruise there, its the journey home i am not looking forward to!!
Old 08 June 2013, 05:54 PM
johnson12
Scooby Regular

Yeah second that
Old 10 June 2013, 06:42 PM
johnson12
Scooby Regular

Great day stunning to watch you pushing that hard to win that's the way to drive a Subaru lol. Well done great result again
Old 10 June 2013, 08:37 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Great day stunning to watch you pushing that hard to win that's the way to drive a Subaru lol. Well done great result again
Cheers mate, its a bloody fast track that and certainly tests your bottle!! its only my second visit there. So 2 wins back to back and the next round is at my favourite circuit.... Oulton Park full circuit
Old 10 June 2013, 10:38 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Time Attack round 3 @ Snetterton > 9th June 2013

Since the last round at Croft we have managed to get the car painted and looking nice again, Steven Darley and the team had also gone through the fuel system to eradicate a fueling issue we had been having issues with. On the Friday the guys headed down to meet Paul Blamire of Zen Performance to get the car on the rollers at RCM to give it a quick run to make sure everything was ok, thankfully everything was fine so the car and team headed off Snetterton where I met with them.

With the car running well I headed out in morning warm up and set a reasonably quick pace, I was wanting to get to grips with the circuit again, I had only run on the 200 circuit once before and even then it was wet. So out on track I set a few quick laps and was happy with the car and then headed back in, the guys indicated number 1, although happy I knew it was still early in the day yet.

In practice my aim was again to set a quick pace and carry on familiarizing myself with the circuit, I set a couple of hot laps and came back in, this time I was greeted with the news I was in second place to Chris Bennett my team mate!!! Chris had managed to set a very quick 1:17.460, very quick lap this and I was not sure if I could match this time?

After dinner it was time for qualifying, this is where championship points are up for grabs so I pulled out all of the stops to try and beat Chris’s very quick time. After setting my best lap I came back in to hear I was in first place, very happy!! I asked how quick? The time was a 1:18.058, so still not managed a 1:17 lap but had managed to come first.

So in preparation for the final I was trying to work out where I could make up time? The car was set to full power and I headed out and gave it everything I could, I was taking 2 corners in a higher gear than I had done all day and was trying to brake later at the end of the 2 straights. I came back in after 2 hot laps to see how things were going? I was told first place with a 1:17.052, well chuffed to get in the 17s… but so close to a 1:16!! So I headed out again and was trying hard, I actually had to scrap a couple of hot laps due to driver error mistakes. I calmed myself down, try to compose myself and went for it again, this time I managed a 1:17.047, marginally quicker but still not in the 1:16’s, the big question though was…. Were was I? answer was first place!! Absolutely chuffed, both Chris Bennett and Gary Searl in his very quick Evo were not far behind but thankfully that extra effort to get in the low 1:17’s was enough to take the win. I have had a quick look at the records and I think that my fastest time is now the record at Snetterton on the 200 circuit.

So today I have had a look at the points table and according to my calculations that’s a 70 point lead over Dave Coe who is second in the championship. The next round is at the fantastic Oulton Park on the 20th July, this year we are competing around the full circuit which is great news, like most drivers I really like Oulton Park so it should be a great day.

So never wanting to stand still… I have been chatting with Daren at ABW (AutoBodyWorks) and we have a plan!! The car has been dropped off at the workshop today and Daren is going to do his magic on the car, I really can’t wait to see the results, I will post pictures up as soon as I have them.

I have also spoken to Steven Darley again today and after a great weekend for the car Steven declared that Paul Blamire of Zen Performance is really happy with the way the car is running and is wanting to tweak the map still a little bit further!!

As always this is a team effort and it honestly would not be possible with out the help of some great people, at the circuit yesterday I had team SD Motorsport (David Wallis, Steven Darley and Paul Martin) helping all day long, when needed Paul Blamire was always there making sure everything was fine > Guys thank you so much for all your help!!

In the background I am still receiving help from my main sponsors and I would like to thank you all for your continued support > ABW, Lateral Performance, AS Performance, Forge Motorsport, Whiteline UK, SW Motorsports and also Scooby Spares, a massive thanks to all of you.

Name:  Snet1_zpsf884813d.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  Snet2_zps8e31f55f.jpg
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  Snet4_zps1d9394f3.jpg
Size:  165.7 KB
Old 11 June 2013, 08:55 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

brilliant result (again ) Lee and well deserved..................
Old 11 June 2013, 09:04 PM
johnson12
Scooby Regular

Car looks some much faster now than the first round in the cold at Caldwell hats off to you. Did you enjoy the drive home tho as I hated mine 5 hours of pain:cry lest next round is on our door step
Old 12 June 2013, 04:05 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
brilliant result (again ) Lee and well deserved..................

Thanks Alyn, all your help speccing parts and so on has been most helpful

Really looking forward to going to Oulton Park now, another good result there will put us in a great position for the championship
Old 12 June 2013, 04:09 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Car looks some much faster now than the first round in the cold at Caldwell hats off to you. Did you enjoy the drive home tho as I hated mine 5 hours of pain:cry lest next round is on our door step

Cheers dude, the car had a massive make over during winter and after a good day at Cadwell a bit more testing would have seen us getting somewhere....however my stupidity and a concrete wall really put us back. After a tough day at Croft it was great to get to Snetterton and have some great seat time.

As this season goes on there will still be some fine tuning just to get the car running really nice, on top of this I am hoping to run in Club Pro next year and I am wanting to carry on changing the car this year as we compete so were ready for next year
Old 13 June 2013, 06:58 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

So, now that Time Attack @ Snetterton is out of the way its straight on with improving the car again, although the car has proved to be competitive this year, looking at the gap between Club Challenge and Club Pro it seems to be quite a jump. So with one eye on next year the progress with the car continues.

Looking at the cars that have competed at the top in World Time Attack, a lot of the winning cars have been using 10.5” or 11” wheels and have run either 285 or 295 wide tyres. So with this in mind I have a set of 10.5” wheels with Dunlop DZ03G tyres, these are 285/30/18 in size. To get this wheel and tyre package to fit the bodywork needs modifying to say the least, so as mentioned the car has been taken straight to ABW for Daren to work his magic.

The car is already fitted with a SD Motorsport rear sub frame, this will allow the car to run a lot lower without effecting the suspension set up, Shawn Woods at SW Motorsports also mounted my rear differential to the underside of the car and this is held in place with extensions from the roll cage that Shawn installed > very neat job!!

So with the rear diff mounted higher and the SDM rear sub frame we can run the car a lot lower, hopefully as low as the 40mm allowed in Time Attack. So Daren at ABW is modifying the car arches to not only squeeze the wide tyres underneath but to also allow for clearance when the car is sat much lower. The car should look epic when the work is completed.

I have seen quite a few cars come out of ABW previously and they have been awesome, so I am really looking forward to seeing the results

Here is a picture of the car being dropped off at ABW design.

Name:  ABW1_zpsc14fbf3c.jpg
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  ABW2_zpsa8291645.jpg
Size:  102.4 KB
Old 22 June 2013, 08:19 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

So the latest update on the car is getting the bigger wheels on, a few of the pictures taken show off some goodies that are hidden underneath :wink:

Really chuffed to get these wheels on, these are new Dunlop DZ03G tyres on these so I am hoping for a significant increase in grip levels the car goes out. Now that the wheels and tyres are done we will fit the Whiteline kit to the front so we can lower the car.

Daren has not only added the arch extensions which you can see, but there has been a lot of cutting away underneath so the car can run very low, even the inside of the rear doors have been altered so the doors do not rub on the tyres!!

I have already posted car pics in the members gallery section (ABW widebody 700+bhp Hawk Spec C) here are a few pics showing off the wheels and tyres >

Name:  IMG_0414_zps880b1a7c.jpg
Size:  104.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0417_zps5a771670.jpg
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0418_zpse2c97d43.jpg
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0421_zps85d04bd9.jpg
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0422_zpsa0d1a840.jpg
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0424_zps920be36b.jpg
Size:  88.2 KB
Old 22 June 2013, 08:43 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's looking really good again, wheels look the mutts
Old 22 June 2013, 08:46 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
That's looking really good again, wheels look the mutts
cheers dude, its certainly geting there, over the next couple of weeks I have a few more nice touches to make to the car so its looking nice and pretty
Old 03 July 2013, 09:17 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

I feel a drum roll is needed!!!! and here is my lovely new turbo from Owen Developments, it is a "GT3586HTA-M" not sure what all that means but its supposed to be a cracker from the reports I have read. I believe this will provide a much needed lift in outright power from the previous spec GT35 .63

I received a call from Chevron Motorsport today to say the turbo had arrived, Simon has sent me a couple of pictures too, well happy >>>

Name:  IMAG1101_zps19f8360c.jpg
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  IMAG1090_zpsecb865c6.jpg
Size:  65.6 KB
Old 04 July 2013, 08:23 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

What kind of power are you expecting with that lee?? Does look good mind
Old 04 July 2013, 09:43 AM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Hi Ian, the turbo should be good for just over 750bhp, I only run 2.2bar with my car so we should be nudging over 700, maybe 720bhp with this on my car. However I need to make sure that my clutch can take the power, still running an Exedy twin plate!!

Few more pictures of some turbo ****

Name:  1_zps29885236.jpg
Size:  115.6 KB

Name:  5_zps9d1591f1.jpg
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  2_zpsac1a6fdc.jpg
Size:  99.1 KB

Name:  3_zpse54ee9bd.jpg
Size:  80.0 KB

Name:  4_zps2d87798c.jpg
Size:  78.2 KB
Old 04 July 2013, 10:21 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

'Only' 2.2 bar
Old 04 July 2013, 06:27 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

with some of the folk I know, that aint a right lot!!!
Old 08 July 2013, 10:33 AM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good at Japfest yesterday buddy, manage to get any quick laps in? I didn't manage to see you on any flying laps
Old 08 July 2013, 11:13 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Only 2.2bar

Have fun lee and see you at oulton
Old 08 July 2013, 08:58 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, yep had a good time at Japfest, had a look around the car stands and was watching the drifting guys... bloody nutters

Obviously I was mainly there for the track sessions, went out 4 times in total and each time did about 8>10 laps. was there to test a few things out, firstly the new wheels and tyres which are 11" wide never rubbed at all on the body work, Daren at ABW has done a spot on job, no rubbing at all so test 1 and well happy.

With the new Owen Developments turbo fitted I wanted to get a feel for this, because the car had not been mapped for this turbo yet (just a few tweaks) I was taking it easy (ish) so ran at cal1 which is my lowest setting (about 1.6bar) limited revs to 6500rpm and also only applied 65% ish throttle. You will be surprised at how quick you can still go driving like this although I never experienced the power of the GT3586HTA-M I was very surprised at how the car went when at low revs. I thought going from a .63 exhaust housing up to a .82 the car would have started to feel laggy? absolutely none of it at all, coming through the chicane on to the start straight I was going from 3rd to 4th mid chicane and driving it out on to the start finish straight, I could feel it wanting to go!!! so I just lifted on the throttle slightly.

Was also trying different settings with the brake bias, found a happy place with this, however I am still considering going back to ABS?? we will see.

I hadnt driven Donnington before so wanted to learn the circuit ahead of the Time Attack round being held there in September, what a great circuit, really took to it quit early on.

Next out on 19th July at Oulton Park on another test day, day after is Time Attack at Oulton then the weekend after is TOTB and I have been picked for the 22B.com team so looking forward to that.

Will update more after Paul Blamire of Zen Performance has finished mapping my car, should be fairly nippy with the new turbo

Last edited by Toffee; 08 July 2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 18 July 2013, 07:09 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Well thats us ready for this weekend... starting tomorrow were at Oulton Park tomorrow at a track day and then its Time Attack rd4 on the Saturday. Really looking forward to this weekend, if everything goes well it should be a really enjoyable weekend.

Since we last competed the car has had bodywork completed at ABW, new wheels and tyres fitted, new turbo fitted (20% meth mix = 672.7bhp) and its been mapped too

Name:  55555_zpsca189d35.jpg
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  11111_zps545a695d.jpg
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  RCMdyno_zps9023d2c8.jpg
Size:  105.1 KB
Old 18 July 2013, 08:39 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

best of luck Lee................
Old 18 July 2013, 09:01 PM
johnson12
Scooby Regular

Goodluck and see you saturday cant wait
Old 18 July 2013, 09:22 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Goodluck and see you saturday cant wait
cheers dude

Thanks Alyn, see you at TOTB
Old 19 July 2013, 06:44 PM
johnson12
Scooby Regular

Hope todays trackday and testing went well we want another scooby win
Old 23 July 2013, 08:53 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Time Attack round 4 @ Oulton Park > 20th July 2013

So since the last round the car body had been widened by Daren @ ABW so I could put new wheels with new tyres on, my previous tyres were 265 R888s, the new tyres are 285 Dunlop DZ03G’s from HP Tyres, so was looking forward to see how the car was different with the new rubber.

The second change to the car was the new turbo from Owen Developments, my last turbo was a GT35 with a .63 exhaust housing, Owen Developments supplied me with a GT3586HTA-M turbo, this comes with a .82 exhaust housing.

After the car was built and ready Paul Blamire mapped the car and we achieved 672.7bhp @ 2.3bar peak, the car weighs approximately 1150kg.

Time Attack Warm up>
In warm up I used cal2 which is 1.7 bar peak, the car felt real quick and I thought it was a quick lap? Wanted to kick off getting fast laps in early. I was surprised to hear that it was a 1;58, my team mate Chris Bennett did a 1;55 ☹

Practice>
Turned the car up to cal3 which is 2.0bar peak and really tried my hardest, going down the straight towards shell oils the car was quite a handful to keep in a straight line, those fat tyres weren’t that happy going in a straight line ☺ after a lap which had the car feeling like quite a hand full I got back in to the pits to hear we had done a 1:49.7 which was great, I was hoping to go sub 1;50 at some point during the day. This time had us in top spot with my team mate in 2nd with a 1;52…. Was he holding back though??

Qualifying>
In qualifying I decided to use cal3 again and get a banker lap in, after the banker lap the idea was to turn the car up to full power and see if I could go any faster with full boost? After an out lap and one fast lap I came back in to the pits to see what my time was thinking cal4 and out again? As soon as I came in to the pits my team were waving me straight in to my garage? This wasn’t part of the plan?? When I stopped the guys stated that my car was screaming when I crossed the line on my hot lap, they said the car sounded like it was super charged? There first thoughts were there is a gearbox issue. With the session still happening the team concentrated on my two team mates Chris and David Gabriel, once the session was over we had a look at the car, I mentioned it sounded fine from in the car? Steven Darley took the car for a quick spin and came back and stated he could only hear a small noise from the drivers front wheel area, a quick look around and we found a small issue with the front shocker locking rings loose, these were tightened up hoping that may have been it?

Final>
I went out clearly needing to manage my time, I was aiming at getting close to a 1:55, as soon as I left the pits and went down the hill and changed down to 4th and let the car roll there was a terrible noise in the dive train, I changed up to 5th and the noise went away, using no boost I accelerated along the straight and then down in to 4th again, terrible noise again!!? I knew I still needed to score points, I was also aware that Dave Coe had gone out the day before with issues, I had spoken to Jason Ogg earlier on and he was having issues too, so I was now thinking I knew that two of the 4wd cars left on track were OHWs so how many point scoring cars were left in? with this in mind I rolled around the circuit and completed another lap so registering a lap > it was a 2:27 lap!! When I came back in I found out that I had actually come in last but still as the 5th highest scoring 4wd car so scored 60 points in the final. Add these to the 50 points scored in qualifying and I had scored 110 points in total, Dave Coe had a no score and Jason Ogg had only scored 110 points too because of his car issues.

So all in all it was mission achieved, I went to Oulton Park hoping to score some good points, hold the gap on my nearest competitors and also try to not get another strike, ok so the plan was not to ruin a gearbox but that’s just small details ☺

I have to say though that after driving the car with the new tyres and new turbo the car feels quicker, a lot better all round. With one eye on entering Club Pro next year I am happy that these latest modifications have definitely took the car to another level.

So now the car is off to SD Motorsport on Friday for a gearbox change so the car is ready for TOTB on Saturday and Sunday, I am competing as part of the 22b.com team so hoping for another great weekend ☺

I would like to give a big thanks to everyone who has helped make this possible to date and keep helping> Steven Darley and team of SD Motorsport, Paul Blamire of Zen Performance, Daren at ABW for the awesome wide body work!!, the guys at Chevron Stafford and Owen Developments for the new fantastic turbo (full boost next time guys ☺ ) Mark at Lateral Performance for awesome parts, Alyn @ AS Performance for helping with parts great race parts, Shawn at SW Motorsports for the great cage installation, Scott @ Scooby Spares and also Greame at Whiteline UK, a massive thanks to all of you.

Name:  Oulton4_zps99e49924.jpg
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  Oulton1_zpsd2bc04d4.jpg
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  Oulton2_zps97709780.jpg
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  Oulton3_zps2393f329.jpg
Size:  85.1 KB
Old 23 July 2013, 09:13 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

It's your first season on this build so chin-up, remember the glass is half full and just think - you've been through worse. All in, as you say, mission accomplished albeit not quite how you wanted
Old 24 July 2013, 12:48 AM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
It's your first season on this build so chin-up, remember the glass is half full and just think - you've been through worse. All in, as you say, mission accomplished albeit not quite how you wanted
spot on mate

Quick Reply: Time Attack race car build