Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

My Classic scoob...

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2013, 11:03 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That rear pot looked badly pitted, how much was the rebuild kit in the end?

I see you went for brembo pads in the end, let me know how you get on with them. Have you got a brake stopper as well fitted to reduce the flex.. I am debating on going for a new age master calender as they are supposed to be a little bigger
Old 01 November 2013, 11:13 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never felt the brakes to be lacking, 8pot fronts and 2 pot rears are plenty man enough.

And to be honest dont think I have ever needed a stopper either!

Rebuild kit was £110, but i will be looking at offering an alternative to this, as i think i might be able to do it cheaper on an exchange basis.

ASPerformance supplied the pads and discs, and I am told the brembo pads are equivalent to the ferodo ds2500 pads, but at a more reasonable price, if they dont work il go for the carbone lorraine rc6's all round.

I havent even had the need to go newage master cylinder, the set up I have has had all 4 discs glowing round the track chasing a GTR down and never caused me issues
Old 02 November 2013, 01:12 AM
RoyPinhey
Scooby Regular

Look forward to seeing this
Old 05 November 2013, 11:30 AM
b3mwe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to see her again
Old 05 November 2013, 11:48 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b3mwe
good to see her again
Thanks
Old 27 March 2014, 05:51 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Turbo is in for rebuild at turbo technics now as was burning lots of oil!

Got myself a new 2 post ramp for the workshop too so i can pull the gearbox out too
Old 12 April 2014, 10:20 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I have had the turbo off to Turbo Technics and got the diagnosis back from Ryan there with some pictures, now I am quite impressed by this -

Name:  turbophoto1_zpsf79b0c97.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  turbophoto2_zpsd637b353.jpg
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  turbophoto3_zpscad862d8.jpg
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  turbophoto4_zpsf1a8606c.jpg
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  turbophoto5_zpsdf7b1e95.jpg
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  turbophoto6_zpsf6f44faf.jpg
Size:  58.8 KB

Name:  turbophoto7_zps5f6be173.jpg
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  turbophoto8_zps5f232a44.jpg
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  turbophoto10_zpse89479b3.jpg
Size:  54.3 KB

So with knackered oil seals, impellor wheel, cracked wategate etc, the car still made more power than originally...

Now, it seems that I had the older cast compressor wheel version of the S206, so when it comes back from rebuild it will have been upgraded to the billet wheel set, so yet another remap will be on the cards...

Which got me thinking, if I have to go to the expense of a remap, then I shall be getting the clutch switch fitted for my alkatek to enable the flat foot shifting, and also a CAL switch for a valet map.

I also picked this up for my workshop, which should make life much easier!

Name:  IMG-20140401-00254_zpsd554aee4.jpg
Size:  172.9 KB

All the allen head bolts were seized solid so we had to weld nuts on the top to get it apart, so half an hour later with the welder and the ramp was apart and on the way to my workshop!

Name:  IMG-20140406-00255_zps9a19384e.jpg
Size:  218.8 KB

Name:  IMG-20140406-00257_zps584604a3.jpg
Size:  241.6 KB

Excuse the mess of the workshop, we had to have a bit of a move around to get everything in, I just need to get a new motor and finish the wiring and then I can remove the gearbox from the scooby
Old 12 April 2014, 06:40 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Two post ramp envy going on here right now
Old 12 April 2014, 06:41 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Bloody hell J, that is what I call a workshop! There's not a lot your short of there by the looks of things. Having the ramp will make everything easier from simple to involving tasks.

What is it you do for a living if you don't mind me asking? Only reason I ask is, is the workshop business related or just for toys?

Joe
Old 12 April 2014, 07:09 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
Two post ramp envy going on here right now
Haha, Ive had that envy for years and finally I have one. I hope to do friends cars, just oil changes and bits and pieces to help pay for it. But generally this is reserved for the scooby!

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
Bloody hell J, that is what I call a workshop! There's not a lot your short of there by the looks of things. Having the ramp will make everything easier from simple to involving tasks.

What is it you do for a living if you don't mind me asking? Only reason I ask is, is the workshop business related or just for toys?

Joe
I am an Electrical and mechanical engineer, so the workshop is for that, BUT thereis plenty of space for my toys, been self employed I can do pretty much what I want

To be honest, with the fact that it is for work too means I have been able to go to town on the install, I have spent loads of time setting it up nicely and all the rest of it, plumbed in air lines, parts washing facilities, bog, kettle, radio, microwave etc, chrome and zinc plating facilities, welding bench and fabrication, sand blasting

I am aiming to be able to do pretty much everything in house apart form gearbox and turbos rebuilds etc. From cleaning up, fabricating, and plating, painting through to fitting
Old 12 April 2014, 08:34 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

re post 60,Now, it seems that I had the older cast compressor wheel version of the S206, so when it comes back from rebuild it will have been upgraded to the billet wheel set, so yet another remap will be on the cards...
Old 12 April 2014, 08:44 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Haha! Well I thought it should have just been seals so I wasnt planning on billeting it etc!

But it turns out it needs new housings etc due to the cracked wastegate so its kind of forced my hand! £1200s worth of turbo rebuild
Old 13 April 2014, 12:38 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

So good to have that kind of space...thinking of excavating for my garage workshop rebuild so I can fit a ramp in
Old 13 April 2014, 07:43 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

So good to have that kind of space...thinking of excavating for my garage workshop rebuild so I can fit a ramp in
Do it, I cant wait to finish installing it, this will be todays mission I think. The motor is 3phase and I only have single phase available to me at the workshop (3ph can be had but the cost of getting the meter connected isnt worth while)

So I am going to run a 20a single phase supply out to the ramp, with a 3hp single to 3ph inverter on the ramp, which I am hoping my mate will have one spare in his workshop.

I have about 20 inverters, but I dont think they will do the single-3ph, only speed control, which is a pain. I like to pride myself on having pretty much everything you could ever need, and I have let myself down here!

I would convert the ramp to single phase as I have plenty of motors lying around BUT, all the safety controls are controlled by a PCB on this ramp for some unknown reason! So I cant really be bothered to mess around with it!

Are you building a new workshop?
Old 13 April 2014, 09:12 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Yeah once the wagon is done that's the summer project; I have prefab garage with a workshop on the back of it next to the house...I've got a good idea what I'm going to do but am staying away from planning it properly as it will push out the wagon build...priorities
Old 13 April 2014, 09:15 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Haha, Ive been hoping to get mine done for end of april, but I dont see it happening, work is slacking a bit at the moment while everyone is sorting out their new budgets and what not. So I had some money set aside for the turbo rebuild that is costing £1000 more than planned.

I had some money set aside for a gearbox rebuild, which paid for my new ramp as it came up at a bargain price (£350) so I couldnt turn it down.

So all in all the car is going to take a back seat for a while, which is a shame as the plan was to use the thing this year!
Old 13 April 2014, 09:19 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

I'm hoping I have no other 'large' expenses on my build...well just mapping and insurance!?

Next two weeks off and very little to finish for house build so hope to break the back of the wagon jobs...and I've promised daily thread updates
Old 13 April 2014, 09:31 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Ill believe it when I see it

Mine is pretty muchd one, but I cant seem to leave things alone. The handling is awesome as it is, it will go round corners far faster than I am capable of driving it round them BUT, I want the TSSFab sub frames and trailing arms etc as underneath is pretty manky and needs a good clean up, but that will be next winter I think.

The turbo should be back in a week or so, mr Visa card is sorting that one out for me.

So if i can find enough money to do my gearbox then she will be back on the road.

Im wondering how it will drive with the billet turbo installed, it already spools up nice and early as you can see on the graphs, so with the billet turbo installed it can only improve things! It is savage as it is now MartynJ and Alan both comment on how savage it feels compared to most other builds, which can only be a good thing
Old 13 April 2014, 09:42 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

With all these fancy garages you guys are putting up I hope your security is up to scratch. Roller shutters, steel personnel doors???
I just so happen to manufacture and fit these.

Joe @ JACDOORS
Old 13 April 2014, 09:53 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Haha, yes steel sliding doors, massive security padlock, and a security lock on the main door too, CCTV etc

If you ever need anyone to do any wiring for any of those give me a shout, I work nationally for most supermarkets so thats mainly nights which means during the days I need something to do
Old 13 April 2014, 01:00 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Just finished wiring up the ramp.

Out of the 10 or so inverters I have here I can drive a motor the size of a car, but not a single one of them can be used to convert single phase to 3 phase. Absolutely rubbish!

All the models I have are 3x the price of the cheapest ones and they cant do it, but the cheapest model can! Annoyed, and slightly brain ****ed after reading technical manuals for them all!
Old 13 April 2014, 03:55 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV

Mine is pretty muchd one, but I cant seem to leave things alone. The handling is awesome as it is, it will go round corners far faster than I am capable of driving it round them BUT, I want the TSSFab sub frames and trailing arms etc as underneath is pretty manky and needs a good clean up, but that will be next winter I think.

The turbo should be back in a week or so, mr Visa card is sorting that one out for me.

So if i can find enough money to do my gearbox then she will be back on the road.

Im wondering how it will drive with the billet turbo installed, it already spools up nice and early as you can see on the graphs, so with the billet turbo installed it can only improve things! It is savage as it is now MartynJ and Alan both comment on how savage it feels compared to most other builds, which can only be a good thing

Hahahaha...a popular opinion

Not even looked at which 'big' blower I'll run; leaving 18g on while I get used to it again
Old 13 April 2014, 03:55 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
With all these fancy garages you guys are putting up I hope your security is up to scratch. Roller shutters, steel personnel doors???
I just so happen to manufacture and fit these.

Joe @ JACDOORS
I'll be needing a nice remote roller shutter Joe
Old 13 April 2014, 04:04 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Hahahaha...a popular opinion

Not even looked at which 'big' blower I'll run; leaving 18g on while I get used to it again
Good plan, what power are you looking for? To be honest if its 500s I really would stick with the s206, it is an awesome turbo.

I'll be needing a nice remote roller shutter Joe
Show off....
Old 13 April 2014, 09:41 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

running a PPG so will stick to 450\480ish

I want a remote gate too
Old 14 April 2014, 07:54 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Are you going to plumb the wastegate back into the down pipe or leave it atmospheric?

The noise if left VTA drives me insane, it is nice for a little while, but it really gets on your **** after a while!!!! I have one on my Starlet and it was brilliant for the first fortnight, and after that I would do anything to drive off boost lol!

Name:  312265_186932031375018_2338684_n_zps1b4737d0.jpg
Size:  73.5 KB

Well for 450ish its got to be a billet SC42/5 really! Or for a properly ballistic drive twin scroll?!?!
Old 14 April 2014, 12:50 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Well, after spending all morning wrapping my bonnet matte black, I got to the last corner and started to lift to tease out a crease.

RRRRRRIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPP!

I didnt get any photos as I threw a massive hissy fit and pulled it all off and threw it around the workshop
Old 14 April 2014, 01:49 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hoping I have no other 'large' expenses on mNext two weeks off and very little to finish for house build so hope to break the back of the wagon jobs...and I've promised daily thread updates

Well, after spending all morning wrapping my bonnet matte black, I got to the last corner and started to lift to tease out a crease.

RRRRRRIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPP!

I didnt get any photos as I threw a massive hissy fit and pulled it all off and threw it around the workshop
Doh!! Did you feel better after your hissy fit
Old 14 April 2014, 01:55 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

No, but I do feel better after the 2 cans of Carling I found in the footwell!

Although I do feel this is probably the end of the day as far as car stuff goes!
Old 14 April 2014, 03:55 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Twin scroll means I've have to replace my baffled sump and lovely Symms headers so will be staying single

My best hissy fit was when I lost my Rays wheel nuts security key...took hours to clear the devastation in the workshop

Quick Reply: My Classic scoob...