Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

WIP Real world data for uprated TMIC - APS piece on Hawk Sti

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2018, 07:57 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default WIP Real world data for uprated TMIC - APS piece on Hawk Sti

I bought a used APS TMIC off ebay and am currently in the process of refreshing it ready for fitment. The have gone out of business but their piece is not that dissimilar from current manufactures in size and construction.

It's not particularly accurate to measure HP on the road, so I will not discuss that here. However you can consistently measure peak airflow from the MAF sensor in g/s. I've been tuning the car myself for a while now and have a pretty good feeling of how she runs, with average peak consumption around 300 g/s @ ~6500 rpm.

Some info about the car
- Hawk Spec D, 2006, ~95000miles on clock, 2.5L
- Forged rods and pistons,race bearings, fully rebuilt <10k miles ago, stock head gaskets, arp studs, cylinder head desquish (helps prevent knock), uprated billet water pump
- TD05 20G, ported and wrapped stock headers / harvey uppipe, corba sports cat and Ninja 2 2.5" exhaust with non res centre
- bispoke own design boost controller (at its heart it's dawes type MBC) - boost set to ~1.45 but this tails off to around 1.25 bar at the top end
- Uprated injectors (750cc if I recall!)
- Japspeed induction kit, samco turbo inlet pipe, intake thermal spacers, stock Hawk STi intercooler in 'reasonable' condition
- Mishimoto uprated rad for cooling
- 2 oil catch evap control

Some key info about the map (my own):
- pretty much stock level of fueling and timing with tables extended out for higher engine loads
- AVCS modified in the spool and on boost regions (timing and fueling tweaked to keep things safe)
- fuel learning D (open loop applied correction) is turned off

Before Fitment:
Since I run with open loop fueling correction turned off, I like to check how it's running now and then, so that means over the last year I've collected a lot of data. I looked through the historical data and extracted the peak airflow (measured MAF g/s) for the logs that had it. The results are presented in the chart below, where:

Red line = average monthly temp (deg c) in Birmingham (UK!) from met office historical records
Blue line = average peak airflow (g/s) for data collected that month

In 2018 we had a relatively cold spring (the beast from the east!) and a really long and warm summer, and the data tells me a few things:

a) average peak flow across the year = 304 g/s (in line with my gut feeling)
b) the difference in airflow winter <-> summer is significant
c) airflow in winter is higher than summer, presumably due to the air being denser and increased intercooler efficiency

After Fitment:
I am planning to fit the APS piece hopefully before xmas. Logically you would assume a similar looking graph for '19 but with it being offset upwards on the chart, i.e more efficient intercooler gives more airflow, but time will tell.

I will collect data across a few months like I did and see where it ends up, so watch this space!

Last edited by Bazil_SW; 01 December 2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01 December 2018, 08:42 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Thanks, following
Old 22 December 2018, 04:40 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Sadly, this project is cancelled due to not being able to get the APS intercooler to fit my car, despite trying all sorts and even moving the brackets...
Old 22 December 2018, 05:30 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

That's a shame. I did suspect that the Process West one that I was considering would conflict with the STI flexi top brace that I have, which in turn is a part of an STI lower brace and strengthening package.
Old 22 December 2018, 10:38 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Yeah, a strut brace was the first of a few things that had to go/ be modified before I called it a day!