Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

My new MY15 (New shape) STI Daily driver

Old 08 December 2018, 11:22 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Cheers bud. Bought a Perrin 4 bar direct fit map sensor last night.

Know what you mean about injectors. Kev said they could remove, de-cap, reflow and match my current injectors to 850cc which I know is more than enough for my goals, but for the sake of it I might still go for a brand new set of ID1050's.

you know now it makes sense
Old 09 December 2018, 09:56 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Then I'll be sorted for my 2.35 build.
Old 03 January 2019, 02:17 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

This arrived before the end of the year:

Getting there now, only a few more bits to get hold of.

I also did a little filing and cleaning of the 2 welded flanges on my IC pipe for the charge temp sensor and Tial 50mm BOV fittings. The IC pipes are now ready to go into paint so that they can get fitted to the car with the rest of the kit soon.

Also bought a genuine Tial 50mm BOV with 10 PSI spring which turned up just before Christmas. Hadn't appreciated just how big these things are!

Car is still driving lovely. Really like this car.

Also, wheels are getting changed over for winter wheels this weekend then the new Rota's can go in for a repaint too!
Old 03 January 2019, 03:44 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

looking good bpr, where did you get the tial from and how much was it? i may look to change my forge BOV for something else hen my build starts.
Old 03 January 2019, 03:52 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
looking good bpr, where did you get the tial from and how much was it? i may look to change my forge BOV for something else hen my build starts.
Got it direct from Turbo Dynamics who keep some stock levels in certain colours and spring rates. Owen Developments also keep UK stock of these and can get alternative spring rates etc. They are £254.58 on their website, but at least I know I'm buying a genuine one as there are loads of cheap copies of these about now. I know there area few other sellers selling these for around £220 in the UK.
Old 03 January 2019, 04:07 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Got it direct from Turbo Dynamics who keep some stock levels in certain colours and spring rates. Owen Developments also keep UK stock of these and can get alternative spring rates etc. They are £254.58 on their website, but at least I know I'm buying a genuine one as there are loads of cheap copies of these about now. I know there area few other sellers selling these for around £220 in the UK.
thanks buddy, how do you work out which spring rate you require?

Old 03 January 2019, 04:23 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

thanks buddy, how do you work out which spring rate you require?
You have to measure the vacuum pressure on the small vacuum line that will go to the top of the BOV and work out which spring you need that will be just greater than the vacuum pressure measured. I can't do this yet until my engine, FMIC, turbo etc are all together so had to take a stab at it based on previous Subaru internet feedback. Ideally the 11 PSI spring would have been ordered if they had stock, but they didn't so I went for the 10 PSI spring instead and will see how that goes. If needs be I will stretch it a little to increase the pressure if the BOV flutters on tickover.
Old 03 January 2019, 04:28 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

You have to measure the vacuum pressure on the small vacuum line that will go to the top of the BOV and work out which spring you need that will be just greater than the vacuum pressure measured. I can't do this yet until my engine, FMIC, turbo etc are all together so had to take a stab at it based on previous Subaru internet feedback. Ideally the 11 PSI spring would have been ordered if they had stock, but they didn't so I went for the 10 PSI spring instead and will see how that goes. If needs be I will stretch it a little to increase the pressure if the BOV flutters on tickover.
ok buddy thanks for that, i will get mark to check mine when the build starts and check the condition of my forge one.

your aiming for around 420bhp correct?

Old 03 January 2019, 04:32 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

ok buddy thanks for that, i will get mark to check mine when the build starts and check the condition of my forge one.

your aiming for around 420bhp correct?
420-450bhp area ideally.
Old 03 January 2019, 04:51 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Loving the updates this is really taking shape
Old 03 January 2019, 05:05 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Loving the updates this is really taking shape
Slow and painful process to be honest, I'm impatient and just want it all done now. I know deep down we are just about to go into a cold spell and I don't want to get it mapped in the freezing cold so am happy to coast along for a little acquiring the last few bits until I'm ready to fit it all at once.
Old 03 January 2019, 05:23 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Easy does it lad
have you takin delivery of the turbo ?
Old 03 January 2019, 05:27 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Easy does it lad
have you takin delivery of the turbo ?
Yep. Had the SC42 billet turbo for a while now. Just never fully unwrapped it to take pictures of the turbo, headers, up-pipe, down-pipe, Perrin intake pipe and god know what else is now neatly piled up in my garage with it!

Have everything except injectors, Perrin FPR, new plugs & a few gaskets now. Almost there.
Old 07 January 2019, 05:18 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Asthe turbo is second hand to me, and even though it's got virtually no bearing play I decided to have my SC42 billet refurbished and upgraded before I fit it to the car. Getting ceramic bearings and metal bearing cages installed to replace the standard SC42 plastic ones along with a general check & referb of the unit. Sort of makes sense (mentally not financially).

In for a penny.....

Also today I purchased some more Perrin goodies from Kev @ Scooby Clinic which should arrive in stages when more stock arrives from the US.

Also on the brink of pressing the order with Alyn @ As for the last few parts.
Old 07 January 2019, 06:59 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Asthe turbo is second hand to me, and even though it's got virtually no bearing play I decided to have my SC42 billet refurbished and upgraded before I fit it to the car. Getting ceramic bearings and metal bearing cages installed to replace the standard SC42 plastic ones along with a general check & referb of the unit. Sort of makes sense (mentally not financially).

In for a penny.....

Also today I purchased some more Perrin goodies from Kev @ Scooby Clinic which should arrive in stages when more stock arrives from the US.

Also on the brink of pressing the order with Alyn @ As for the last few parts.
sounding good mate although things like that really get on my nerves, surely the turbo should come with the metal caged bearings installed as standard especially if there has been known issues with them. whos doing the work on the turbo?
Old 07 January 2019, 11:27 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

sounding good mate although things like that really get on my nerves, surely the turbo should come with the metal caged bearings installed as standard especially if there has been known issues with them. whos doing the work on the turbo?
Yep, the SC range still come with steel bearings and plastic bearing casings as standard. They are such a great turbo but this is without doubt the weak spot. It always worried me so I'm happy to pay the extra to get it upgrades as peace of mind. Plus the ceramic bearings should actually aid spool.

Turbo Dynamics are doing the upgrades for me. Contacted all the usual turbo companies today but I'd dealt with Turbo Dynamics recently and they were fantastic.
Old 07 January 2019, 11:44 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Yep, the SC range still come with steel bearings and plastic bearing casings as standard. They are such a great turbo but this is without doubt the weak spot. It always worried me so I'm happy to pay the extra to get it upgrades as peace of mind. Plus the ceramic bearings should actually aid spool.

Turbo Dynamics are doing the upgrades for me. Contacted all the usual turbo companies today but I'd dealt with Turbo Dynamics recently and they were fantastic.
good stuff buddy im looking forward to seeing what it makes. out of curiosity which clutch/flywheel are you going to be running?
Old 07 January 2019, 11:47 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

It's already got an uprated stage 2 clutch fitted when the forged engine was done, so has only done 5k max on it now.
Old 07 January 2019, 11:51 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

It's already got an uprated stage 2 clutch fitted when the forged engine was done, so has only done 5k max on it now.
which brand buddy? has it got a lightweight fly aswell?
Old 07 January 2019, 11:58 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

which brand buddy? has it got a lightweight fly aswell?
Can't remember sorry. Don't have the details, would have to bother Alyn @ AS Performance again to check.

Had Exedy pink box and AS Performance ultralight flywheel on my FSTI and it was a lovely combo.
Old 08 January 2019, 10:10 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

So the one thing that I can take from last night, is that the VHT wrinkle paint is a total **** to spray and get right. Holy cow. I've got quite a bit of experience painting stuff and never have issues these days but bl00dy hell what a nightmare.

1st IC pipe will need a light sand and another coat once fully cured as I'm not 100% happy. Then just the other 4 or 5 pipes to do!!!!

Also as an added bonus, even though I sprayed the first coat lightly in the corner of my garage with the door to the kitchen shut... the kitchen floor leading away from the door and all the way across the kitchen was covered in red sticky paint dust which I then had to spend the best part of an hour cleaning off until 2am this morning. The house smells lovely today though, the wife is overjoyed.

Gonna investigate if my local powder coating company can do wrinkle red finish somehow.
Old 08 January 2019, 03:00 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Spoke to my local powder coating company and they are going to powder coat all the pipes in red wrinkle special powder.

Screw the VHT spray!!!!
Old 08 January 2019, 03:54 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

**** that spray pal it will be peeling off in 12 months
good to know your makin a bit of progress
Old 08 January 2019, 04:13 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

**** that spray pal it will be peeling off in 12 months
good to know your makin a bit of progress
I've heard good things about the wrinkle paint, but wrinkle powder coating is definitely the way forward!

Yep, nearly there now.
Old 10 January 2019, 09:43 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Perrin boost solenoid cover and pulley cover arrived this morning from Kev @ Scooby Clinic.

Ordered the Perrin radiator cooling panel too but that's on back order from the US at the moment so it gonna take a little longer.

Intercooler piping is getting dropped off at the powder coaters today and my turbo will be arriving at Turbo Dynamics to start the upgrades.
Old 10 January 2019, 11:47 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Perrin boost solenoid cover and pulley cover arrived this morning from Kev @ Scooby Clinic.
I found that the Perrin boost cover didn't/doesn't have all the brackets for the UK cars pipework clips, so cut up the old cover in such a way that the rear brackets could be mounted using the existing fixing bolt.
Shown in front of box below before VHT crinkle paint and baking in the oven.

Old 10 January 2019, 11:48 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Can’t beat a bit of blingage matey
Old 10 January 2019, 11:58 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
I found that the Perrin boost cover didn't/doesn't have all the brackets for the UK cars pipework clips, so cut up the old cover in such a way that the rear brackets could be mounted using the existing fixing bolt.
Shown in front of box below before VHT crinkle paint and baking in the oven.

Thanks for the tip Don. Sadly I don't have the original solenoid cover on my car. My car has already had a FMIC kit before I owned it (just before the original engine went bang) and although it's back to std TMIC now I don't have the original bracket to bodge. My car already has an aftermarket 3 port on it so the bracket isn't required to cover the standard one any more. Sure I can make it fit ok with some fettling like you.

Cheers!
Old 10 January 2019, 11:59 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Can’t beat a bit of blingage matey
Yep
Old 10 January 2019, 03:52 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Just heard back from Turbo Dynamics and it's great news on the turbo front. They have confirmed that after stripping my SC42 there is absolutely no wear on the unit and the internals are in perfect condition. So have instructed them to go ahead with a full refresh along with the ceramic bearing and metal bearing cage upgrades as planned.

Phew!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new MY15 (New shape) STI Daily driver