My new MY15 (New shape) STI Daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2018, 01:39 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Me too!
i take it with the frame inserts that you’d need to have a geosetup done with them like the majority of suspension parts ?
Old 19 October 2018, 01:42 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Matty81

i take it with the frame inserts that you’d need to have a geosetup done with them like the majority of suspension parts ?
No I wouldn't have thought so. All it's doing is providing additional support for the standard rubber subframe bushings and taking out all the slop in the bushes under movement. They don't change any suspension geometry angles by fitting these.

You do need it for the adjustable rear arm bushes I had fitted, lowering of car etc.
Old 19 October 2018, 01:49 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok cool! I had a look on the whiteline site, and they said they did, but my thinking was the same as yours. have you had your geo setup done yet ? Having mine done Tuesday with the anti lift kit and bump steer correction kit I’ve bought and was gonna ask for the prodrive setup on mine.
Old 19 October 2018, 01:59 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

PS I take it there were no issues with the headlight level adjusters fitting to the new rear arms?
Old 19 October 2018, 02:10 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Oh I should also add that for the rear of my car to allow for camber correct Whiteline offer 2 solutions as below:

Replacement rear arm top bushes that make the top arm adjustable inwards and outwards to create +/- 0.75deg camber adjustment, as seen below:

Whiteline also offer a replacement adjustable bottom arm which allows for a massive +/- 2.5 deg of camber adjustment. See below:

I opted for the first solution on my car, the replacement top arm bushes as I didn't need a lot of camber correction and they were the cheaper of the 2 solutions. The top arms are not too difficult to remove from the car in general if you know what you're doing. The bushes are a bit of a **** to remove from the top arms themselves and the kit is straight forward to install once the old bushes are out. All in all the labour to do the top arm bushes outweighs the labour costs to fit a bottom arm, which is generally very simple. So on the whole, if I did this again I would most certainly opt for the bottom arms rather than the top bushes. All works out similar in price at the end of the day.

The biggest issue with the adjustable top arm bushes is that once the car is back together with wheels re-fitted and on the ramp with the tracking gear fitted it is completely impossible to get access to adjust the bolts on the top arms and adjust the camber. You need to remove the tracking equipment (cocking up the tracking readings) and the wheels to adjust things, then put it all back together again and take new measurements hoping you've adjusted enough. So a total pain to set things up. Access to the bottom arms for adjustment is a complete doddle.

So if anyone wants adjustable camber on the rear of their MY15 the please please pay the extra and get the adjustable bottom arms, not the top arm bushes!
Old 19 October 2018, 02:10 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
PS I take it there were no issues with the headlight level adjusters fitting to the new rear arms?
Nope, didn't cause a problem at all.
Old 19 October 2018, 02:11 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matty81
Ok cool! I had a look on the whiteline site, and they said they did, but my thinking was the same as yours. have you had your geo setup done yet ? Having mine done Tuesday with the anti lift kit and bump steer correction kit I’ve bought and was gonna ask for the prodrive setup on mine.
Yes, mine was all done yesterday.
Old 19 October 2018, 03:43 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Don - could you say where that info is from?
Cheers
From his huge Subaru archive that he has access to at work I presume?

I'd love to get my hands on all the 2014+ STi workshop manuals and similar details like the above!
Me too!
No work connection have been retired for nearly 16yrs, although have had a sort of love affair with Subarus for the past 21 years
The info comes from the various workshop manuals that I've found available on line, although I did buy my first set of paper manuals back in1997 and have purchased from Subaru the manuals for all the models I've owned.

The newer manuals (from MY06 for the Impreza) are now a hybrid version which is read through a browser with only parts being in pdf format (wiring diagrams) as it's designed to link in with SSM.
My MY11 WRX/WRXSTI version DVD includes MY08/09 and10 as well.
My MY15 WRX/WRXSTI version is a single MY version and is publication No:G1190G-DVD-E

Old 19 October 2018, 05:34 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

And where does one buy this DVD?
Old 20 October 2018, 07:28 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

And where does one buy this DVD?
From your friendly Subaru Dealer...............
Old 21 October 2018, 01:24 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Why thank you good sir
Old 30 October 2018, 04:22 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Since putting the springs on my car I noticed that when driving at night the headlights were now pointing much further into the ground and illuminating less of the road, which indicated to me that in fact the front had dropped further than the rear of the car through the lowering process. The rear did always look lower to me and the front arch gap always looked bigger. Really wish I'd have measured the gaps on the standard springs, but the ride height was certainly not at the published heights before lowering.

Headlights all adjusted again now and sorted. Suspension seems to have settled just a little at the front and stayed where it was at the rear. Car looks more level now and about right. I'm going to do a full bolt check again soon on all the suspension.

My eagerly awaited aid package from AS Performance containing all the oil, coolant, pipes, washers, gaskets etc to finally fix my water leak has been hampered by the couriers sadly. Seems after playing football with the parcel it amazingly started leaking fluid of some sort and instead of contacting Alyn or myself they simply disposed of the whole thing and all my parts. Great! Poor Alyn is now having to re-order everything and track down more parts for me for a second time. Really can't fault AS, they are great. I'm just incredibly unlucky at the moment it would seem!
Old 31 October 2018, 05:35 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Since putting the springs on my car I noticed that when driving at night the headlights were now pointing much further into the ground and illuminating less of the road, which indicated to me that in fact the front had dropped further than the rear of the car through the lowering process. The rear did always look lower to me and the front arch gap always looked bigger. Really wish I'd have measured the gaps on the standard springs, but the ride height was certainly not at the published heights before lowering.

Headlights all adjusted again now and sorted. Suspension seems to have settled just a little at the front and stayed where it was at the rear. Car looks more level now and about right. I'm going to do a full bolt check again soon on all the suspension.

My eagerly awaited aid package from AS Performance containing all the oil, coolant, pipes, washers, gaskets etc to finally fix my water leak has been hampered by the couriers sadly. Seems after playing football with the parcel it amazingly started leaking fluid of some sort and instead of contacting Alyn or myself they simply disposed of the whole thing and all my parts. Great! Poor Alyn is now having to re-order everything and track down more parts for me for a second time. Really can't fault AS, they are great. I'm just incredibly unlucky at the moment it would seem!
some couriers are ****e, i bet they wont cover the cost either so poor old alyn will have to dig deep. they really do treat peoples parcels like crap sometimes.

has this new model wrx-sti got the same self leveling headlight system as the hawkeye?
Old 31 October 2018, 08:09 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
has this new model wrx-sti got the same self leveling headlight system as the hawkeye?
Yes and No - whereas the hawkeye has two sensors - one front;one back, the same as the early hatches, the later hatches/saloon and newest model have only one on the rear.
Old 01 November 2018, 09:59 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Yes and No - whereas the hawkeye has two sensors - one front;one back, the same as the early hatches, the later hatches/saloon and newest model have only one on the rear.
^^^^ What he said.

Some people make kit for the rear to adjust the angle of the self levelling sensor to compensate for lowered vehicles and height/angle changes. They are totally pointless. Each headlight can be adjusted with an 8mm spanner in seconds for free.
Old 01 November 2018, 10:15 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

some couriers are ****e, i bet they wont cover the cost either so poor old alyn will have to dig deep. they really do treat peoples parcels like crap sometimes.
Sadly I bet that's true. From my experience of claiming from couriers, the effort put in and the money returned by the claim is nowhere near the value lost by them. I just don't understand why they didn't contact either the sender or receiver. Nuts.
Old 12 November 2018, 11:08 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Still waiting for my replacement parts from AS Performance. It took Alyn a while to source all the turbo bits last time. I really want to get it done and sorted now as winter is setting in.

Still using the car daily and still love it though. Puts a smile on my face every day.

Last week I purchased the HT Autos rear bumper diffuser for my car, as the car already has most of their kit fitted and I didn't want a massive overkill rear diffuser design. It arrived Friday so I fitted in yesterday (with help from my 5 year old).

I may modify it slightly to make it more discrete and get rid of some of the moustache look it has. I also want to see a little more of the standard rear bumper veines with it fitted so may change the way it's mounted to drop it down just a little further. Otherwise I quite like it.

Couple of pics.

Thanks for looking,
Old 12 November 2018, 11:11 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Have to be honest, I'm not a fan of the HT Autos rear diffuser, but I'm interested to see how you modify it...
Old 12 November 2018, 11:22 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Have to be honest, I'm not a fan of the HT Autos rear diffuser, but I'm interested to see how you modify it...
I wasn't too sure either to be honest. Really couldn't make my mind up. Have to say in person it actually looks a lot better. Doesn't look half as good on camera.

I intend to thin it down a little so the shape doesn't look as odd and probably fit threaded inserts into the underside of the standard bumper so I can drop it down just a little further, no more than 1 inch though. Like the shape of the standard bumper at the rear and would like to see more of it.

I really wanted the chargespeed rear diffuser, but I'm not paying the money for that unit. It's crazy.

This is how Mark had it at one point during development and I think personally it looks better. I'll be aiming for something along these lines but with slightly less trimming.

Old 12 November 2018, 12:13 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Car is sexy as **** fair play
Old 12 November 2018, 12:16 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Car is sexy as **** fair play
Cheers mate!
Old 12 November 2018, 01:19 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Looking good Andy!
Old 12 November 2018, 01:34 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smithys STI
Looking good Andy!
Thanks mate.

Hows my Foz going?
Old 12 November 2018, 03:08 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate.

Hows my Foz going?
Going good mate!! Used it every day last week,i try to alternate each week between the Foz and the Civic Type R.
Old 12 November 2018, 03:09 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Going good mate!! Used it every day last week,i try to alternate each week between the Foz and the Civic Type R.

Old 12 November 2018, 03:17 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I see you still have the ASBO exhaust fitted. Good work!
Old 12 November 2018, 03:21 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Still waiting for my replacement parts from AS Performance. It took Alyn a while to source all the turbo bits last time. I really want to get it done and sorted now as winter is setting in.

Still using the car daily and still love it though. Puts a smile on my face every day.

Last week I purchased the HT Autos rear bumper diffuser for my car, as the car already has most of their kit fitted and I didn't want a massive overkill rear diffuser design. It arrived Friday so I fitted in yesterday (with help from my 5 year old).

I may modify it slightly to make it more discrete and get rid of some of the moustache look it has. I also want to see a little more of the standard rear bumper veines with it fitted so may change the way it's mounted to drop it down just a little further. Otherwise I quite like it.

Couple of pics.

Thanks for looking,
doesnt look to bad to be fair, one thing ive never noticed and know i have i think they are awful are the flat spats @ each corner of the exhaust surround, they look like little shelves.
Old 12 November 2018, 03:26 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

I see you still have the ASBO exhaust fitted. Good work!
Yep..loud and proud mate!
Most of my neighbours are coffin dodgers so can Get away with it
Old 12 November 2018, 03:37 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

doesnt look to bad to be fair, one thing ive never noticed and know i have i think they are awful are the flat spats @ each corner of the exhaust surround, they look like little shelves.
Actually they blend into the car and match up with the standard exhaust trim very well indeed. Look bigger than they are in those pics. They do suit the car when you see them up close.
Old 12 November 2018, 03:38 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Yep..loud and proud mate!
Most of my neighbours are coffin dodgers so can Get away with it
haha. Fair play. I felt guilty every time I started the car when cold at home and whenever I pulled into the school carpark to drop the kids off.

Quick Reply: My new MY15 (New shape) STI Daily driver