2.1 going rotated, What turbo

Old 27 January 2018, 07:21 PM
DKSTI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.1 going rotated, What turbo

Hello guys,

I am quite new at Scoobynet

I own a vers. 6 STI Type-RA. Setup is a fully build closed deck 2.1 stroker, with a turbo dynamics Td05-20g with around 400 bhp at 1.6 bar, I run a Alcatek ECU and the list goes on.

Car runs on 99 oct v-power. E85 is not possible in Denmark where I live.

Car runs absolutely fantastic, but more wants more!

So next project is going to be a rotated turbo set-up. My question to you guys is, which turbo I should buy. I am looking to hopefully break around 500bhp.

I am looking for a spool at around 4k. Car is also driven on the street so I dont want it to be really laggy.

I want a rotated set up due to all the benefits such as spool, turbo size, powerband etc.

I have heard a lot of good stuff about the following ones:

Garrett gen2 gtx30xxr - What hotside should I go for? - is there a big difference in the 71r and the 76r?

I have also heard tons of good stuff about a pretty unknown swedish brand called Turbobandit. Pretty common in the swedish racing scene. The quality should be way better than what the price indicates.

I have looked at their TB60 billet with a .63 hotside:

http://turbobandit.com/TURBO-Engine-...argers/billet3

I dont know that much about turbos, but from what i can see, the size of this one looks more like a gt35 turbo, but I could be wrong. Would this turbo be way too big for my 2.1?

Can you upgrade the TD05 and would there be any significant power gains with that? - If that was the case I would still make it rotated.

I will also rotate the intake manifold in the same process. Is that worth it? - from what I can see, you almost save 1 meter of piping.

Is there any other ones that you guys would recommend?

Thank you and cheers from Denmark.

Old 27 January 2018, 08:02 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have recently gone rotated on my blobeye 2.1 and opted for a scoobyclinic gtx3076 .63. I will try dig out the graph but it did 504bhp at 1.9 bar. Just in the process of fitting vernier exhaust cam pulleys and dialing them in to see what benefit they will give. I rotated the manifold at the same time and it was a pain in the ****. Had to get some wiring extended, expansion tank to relocate etc etc. I would say it is only for looks though.
Old 27 January 2018, 08:10 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

As above,a GTX30 would spool up nice and make good figures on a 2.1 build you could run a GT35 but it would be laggier on a 2.1.SJ.
Old 27 January 2018, 08:14 PM
DKSTI
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stonejedi
As above,a GTX30 would spool up nice and make good figures on a 2.1 build you could run a GT35 but it would be laggier on a 2.1.SJ.
Thank you for your reply - What hotside would you run on the gt30?Would a gt35 w .63 hotside be more laggy than a gt30 w .82 hotside?Cheers
Old 27 January 2018, 08:16 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

For 4K spool the gtx3071r but then again that's a 475hp rated turbo so you might make it depending on spec and head spec.
Rotating mani doesn't really give the benefits for the work involved, just looks very pretty in the engine bay. Or you could look at one of the precision turbo offerings for hp goal or Borg warner etc but buy a turbo based on your hp goal imo.

A stock precision turbo will get you close to 500 if your car is built upto scratch and good uprated heads to save going rotated etc, but the spool on them is at least 4.5krpm
Old 27 January 2018, 08:40 PM
DKSTI
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
For 4K spool the gtx3071r but then again that's a 475hp rated turbo so you might make it depending on spec and head spec.
Rotating mani doesn't really give the benefits for the work involved, just looks very pretty in the engine bay. Or you could look at one of the precision turbo offerings for hp goal or Borg warner etc but buy a turbo based on your hp goal imo.

A stock precision turbo will get you close to 500 if your car is built upto scratch and good uprated heads to save going rotated etc, but the spool on them is at least 4.5krpm
Thank you - isnt the gen2 rated to 650hp?Would it be better to go w .82 ar hotside?Heads and manifold are both ported.
Old 27 January 2018, 08:45 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DKSTI
Thank you for your reply - What hotside would you run on the gt30?Would a gt35 w .63 hotside be more laggy than a gt30 w .82 hotside?Cheers
A rotated GTX30-63 would be the best turbo for drivability,i never thought that their would be much difference going rotated but the way the turbo spools up in that position comes in harder its Superb.busta said you can get good figures on a standard position turbo and he's right,but I'm not really convinced with the Borg Warner turbos after driving a car with one i think they try to be to smart with its intergrated wastegate and my mates car never made the figures that he was hoping to achieve and is now running a SC46 turbo,in my personal opinion the SC range of turbos are some of the best,testament that I have been using them for the last 10 years on different Subaru's without no problems.A rotated setup on the inlet manifold is not required and in all honesty you won't be making anymore horses for the added work looks good though.SJ.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:01 PM
DKSTI
Scooby Newbie

A rotated GTX30-63 would be the best turbo for drivability,i never thought that their would be much difference going rotated but the way the turbo spools up in that position comes in harder its Superb.busta said you can get good figures on a standard position turbo and he's right,but I'm not really convinced with the Borg Warner turbos after driving a car with one i think they try to be to smart with its intergrated wastegate and my mates car never made the figures that he was hoping to achieve and is now running a SC46 turbo,in my personal opinion the SC range of turbos are some of the best,testament that I have been using them for the last 10 years on different Subaru's without no problems.A rotated setup on the inlet manifold is not required and in all honesty you won't be making anymore horses for the added work looks good though.SJ.
Thank you! -would a 3071 suit the build better or a 3076?Cheers
Old 27 January 2018, 09:12 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

If you can get at gtx3076 in a 63 hot side then that would be a good choice for better hp goal but maybe a bit slightly laggy, maybe just after 4K rpm on full boost but for 500hp and 4K rpm full boost your asking a bit too much.
A rotated gt30 is tried n tested and gives good results. Looks good too.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:18 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Thank you! -would a 3071 suit the build better or a 3076?Cheers
What you need to decide is how much power your looking to run and get the smallest turbo for the job,as at the end of the day you want a turbo to come on boost as soon as possible as a laggy car is not fun to drive and a standard STI will leave you at the lights for dust.The 3076 will produce more power then the 3071...what company are you looking to get your turbo from or will it be direct from Garrett?.SJ.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:40 PM
DKSTI
Scooby Newbie

What you need to decide is how much power your looking to run and get the smallest turbo for the job,as at the end of the day you want a turbo to come on boost as soon as possible as a laggy car is not fun to drive and a standard STI will leave you at the lights for dust.The 3076 will produce more power then the 3071...what company are you looking to get your turbo from or will it be direct from Garrett?.SJ.
Thank you - I have just tought of buying directly from Garrett - any benefits (other than saving money) to pick another brand? - and if that is the case - which?Cheers
Old 27 January 2018, 09:46 PM
DKSTI
Scooby Newbie

If you can get at gtx3076 in a 63 hot side then that would be a good choice for better hp goal but maybe a bit slightly laggy, maybe just after 4K rpm on full boost but for 500hp and 4K rpm full boost your asking a bit too much.
A rotated gt30 is tried n tested and gives good results. Looks good too.
Yes unfortunately that is impossible.. the best from both worlds is what I am looking for, the numbers is not something that is really important, just in that range. 475 or 525 bhp does not matter, performance is key for meThank you.Cheers
Old 27 January 2018, 09:53 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Most companies use Garrett cores housings etc... because they are quality,but they machine them to their own specs,you have to be the one that decides what company as the prices do vary Scoobby Clinic,Lateral performance,RCM,Owens turbos all make good units,but as I said before I'm a bit biased,as SC turbos are the only ones I personally recommend.SJ.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:56 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Yes unfortunately that is impossible.. the best from both worlds is what I am looking for, the numbers is not something that is really important, just in that range. 475 or 525 bhp does not matter, performance is key for meThank you.Cheers
Gtx3071 then if spool is more important, you should get more than 475 tbh as they generally make a bit more if car good spec.
And buy a genuine garret one or Owen developments seem todo good ones but I've seen some good and bad feedback from them in general
Old 27 January 2018, 09:59 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Sc do a gt30 .63 version http://shop.scoobyclinic.com/index.p...product_id=485 but I'm guessing it's a 76r
Old 28 January 2018, 07:39 AM
DKSTI
Scooby Newbie

Sc do a gt30 .63 version http://shop.scoobyclinic.com/index.p...product_id=485 but I'm guessing it's a 76r
That one crossed my mind as well! Thank you for your reply and adivces! I will post some pictures when I make my mind :-)Cheers
Old 28 January 2018, 08:31 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

I refuse to buy from Scooby clinic after having there turbos fail many times ,, they did replace them strait away but it was more hassle than I wanted

forced performance do some good turbos aswell , mine made some great numbers,, 530bhp @1.7bar but still has more and works very very well for the money involved ,, mine is a 2.5 but I'm sure it would also work well on a 2.1

oh and my turbo is now just over 550 pounds so a lot cheaper than uk turbos

http://www.forcedperformance.net/mer...Code=WRX-Turbo

Last edited by domino46; 28 January 2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 28 January 2018, 09:21 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

A gt3076r fettled by someone like Owens would be the way I’d go
Billet wheel etc for better spool
Old 28 January 2018, 11:25 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
I refuse to buy from Scooby clinic after having there turbos fail many times ,, they did replace them strait away but it was more hassle than I wanted

forced performance do some good turbos aswell , mine made some great numbers,, 530bhp @1.7bar but still has more and works very very well for the money involved ,, mine is a 2.5 but I'm sure it would also work well on a 2.1

oh and my turbo is now just over 550 pounds so a lot cheaper than uk turbos

http://www.forcedperformance.net/mer...Code=WRX-Turbo
Can I see some graphs of this, various boost, power etc.
And is anyone else here running these turbos or is it just you ?
Old 28 January 2018, 11:33 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Can I see some graphs of this, various boost, power etc.
And is anyone else here running these turbos or is it just you ?
think I can find a graph but only did one as I wasn't to worried about figures but needed it for down the pub lol

think its just me on here running one at the min which is surprising as Owen developments has a few on there site aswell and can't see the stocking crap made turbos

not the best pic but its all iv got at the mo lol

Last edited by domino46; 28 January 2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 28 January 2018, 12:11 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

domino what model turbo's did you have from them that failed?.SJ.
Old 28 January 2018, 04:23 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

domino what model turbo's did you have from them that failed?.SJ.
two of there SC46's in a short time frame and one of there rotated GT35's ,, I know they have fixed some of the issues with the rear housing on the 46 but all the hassles just put me off for good

Last edited by domino46; 28 January 2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 28 January 2018, 04:31 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

two of there SC46's in a short time frame and one of there rotated GT35's ,, I know they have fixed some of the issues with the rear housing on the 46 but all the hassles just put me off for good
I don't think they liked you,Seriosly though if I had 3 faulty turbos from the same company they would never get my custom again,im still surprised though as my turbo from them has been running over 600+hp for the last 2 years and has not miss a beat.SJ.
Old 28 January 2018, 04:43 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

I don't think they liked you,Seriosly though if I had 3 faulty turbos from the same company they would never get my custom again,im still surprised though as my turbo from them has been running over 600+hp for the last 2 years and has not miss a beat.SJ.

yeah there are a few of my mates running there turbos without issues and some had the same issues but they won't get any more of my money ,, would still consider a well priced second hand one as I love a bargain but wouldn't buy one new from them again
Old 28 January 2018, 07:31 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

think I can find a graph but only did one as I wasn't to worried about figures but needed it for down the pub lol

think its just me on here running one at the min which is surprising as Owen developments has a few on there site aswell and can't see the stocking crap made turbos

not the best pic but its all iv got at the mo lol

Not exactly a great detailed graph without boost and afr etc.
But as your the only one running this unit, I'm glad it's working great for you but I wouldn't want to test a unit with 1 person saying it's good, it might not be good for another person or there maybe be issues that arise on another unit.
Ultimately what I'm saying is, it's not a tried n tested unit.

I was just about to say I bet you had issues with the 46 as it was quite common knowledge on the older design. But that has been rectified on the newer units.
I'm surprised by the garret unit though, but again any unit can occur a fault regardless where it's from, just manufacture errors in all.
But most the popular units that are tried n tested have a low account of errors to those that are new on the scene.

Take the precision turbo for example. I was dubious about that when it came out for Subarus as they themselves had a bit of a bad rep back in the day with faulty units, but now it's proved to be an excellent unit for what it is.

I won't put my money towards certain people either regardless of what they sell due to my stubbornness for my own political reasons so I get what your on about, once soured then that's enough lol

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 28 January 2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 28 January 2018, 09:58 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Not exactly a great detailed graph without boost and afr etc.
But as your the only one running this unit, I'm glad it's working great for you but I wouldn't want to test a unit with 1 person saying it's good, it might not be good for another person or there maybe be issues that arise on another unit.
Ultimately what I'm saying is, it's not a tried n tested unit.

I was just about to say I bet you had issues with the 46 as it was quite common knowledge on the older design. But that has been rectified on the newer units.
I'm surprised by the garret unit though, but again any unit can occur a fault regardless where it's from, just manufacture errors in all.
But most the popular units that are tried n tested have a low account of errors to those that are new on the scene.

Take the precision turbo for example. I was dubious about that when it came out for Subarus as they themselves had a bit of a bad rep back in the day with faulty units, but now it's proved to be an excellent unit for what it is.

I won't put my money towards certain people either regardless of what they sell due to my stubbornness for my own political reasons so I get what your on about, once soured then that's enough lol

yeah I agree ,, FP are quite a big name in the states and have lots of cars over there running good number but I suppose the fact they are over there puts people off just in case there is a issue and like you say the lack of info on them here make people go with what others have tried , but I found them to be very quick and helpful so ill be seeing what there turbos are like over the next few projects and report back on them as I find them,, as info makes power after all lol
Old 08 March 2018, 07:42 PM
S744hdv
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezagaz
Have recently gone rotated on my blobeye 2.1 and opted for a scoobyclinic gtx3076 .63. I will try dig out the graph but it did 504bhp at 1.9 bar. Just in the process of fitting vernier exhaust cam pulleys and dialing them in to see what benefit they will give. I rotated the manifold at the same time and it was a pain in the ****. Had to get some wiring extended, expansion tank to relocate etc etc. I would say it is only for looks though.
Did you manage to dig out that graph?
Old 08 March 2018, 09:03 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S744hdv
Did you manage to dig out that graph?
Will be back in a few weeks for a map tweak after the vernier pulleys
Old 08 March 2018, 09:58 PM
S744hdv
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezagaz

Will be back in a few weeks for a map tweak after the vernier pulleys

How does it drive compared to the sc46?
Old 09 March 2018, 07:19 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S744hdv

How does it drive compared to the sc46?
to be honest I haven’t really driven it properly yet. Should get a few miles covered in the next few weeks though so I will report back then

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.1 going rotated, What turbo