Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Forester STI Forged Build

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2017, 07:08 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saying fair well to my girlfriends car tonight I sold it to her through the year so I could put some money into this forester. Cracking car will be sad to see it go

Old 27 December 2017, 03:10 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Done around 900 miles on the forester and the clutch is beginning to get to me . Its fine once you've got the car moving, but taking off and reversing is shocking. The whole car judders severely even when trying to be as gentle as possible, its slightly better when your a bit more aggressive, but still almost unusable. Im not sure if this is the same with all twin plates?

Anyways, duncan at hyertech mentioned that the engine mounts looked knackered and i was thinking that might be causing of the juddering when taking off so ive ordered the Group N mounts for the engine and gearbox hopefully they sort it out.

Also gave the car a machine polish this morning, first time i've had a chance to use my dodo juice polisher since i bought it at the Scottish car show

Old 27 December 2017, 03:53 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GH05T
Done around 900 miles on the forester and the clutch is beginning to get to me . Its fine once you've got the car moving, but taking off and reversing is shocking. The whole car judders severely even when trying to be as gentle as possible, its slightly better when your a bit more aggressive, but still almost unusable. Im not sure if this is the same with all twin plates?

Anyways, duncan at hyertech mentioned that the engine mounts looked knackered and i was thinking that might be causing of the juddering when taking off so ive ordered the Group N mounts for the engine and gearbox hopefully they sort it out.
When had anew excedy clutch in my impreza it took ages to bed in. Until then it was horrible to pull away in, juddering so much I thought I'd bought a defective unit. Hope yours calms down soon.
Old 27 December 2017, 06:01 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
When had anew excedy clutch in my impreza it took ages to bed in. Until then it was horrible to pull away in, juddering so much I thought I'd bought a defective unit. Hope yours calms down soon.
Hopefully thats all it is then, i have noticed the past couple days has been slightly better but i thought i was maybe just getting used to it.
Old 27 December 2017, 07:01 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a paddle clutch on my jdm blob when imported had to take it off due to pull away and reversing getting on my nerves
Old 27 December 2017, 09:22 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid
I had a paddle clutch on my jdm blob when imported had to take it off due to pull away and reversing getting on my nerves
Was that because of the juddering or were you constantly stalling? I can deal with the noise and the on/off bite but cant stand the juddering, it feels like it’s shaking the car to bits. Hopefully the new mounts help going to get them on in the morning.

Last edited by GH05T; 27 December 2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 28 December 2017, 07:46 AM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Juddering felt worse when reversing thought there was something wrong with gearbox it was that bad
Old 29 December 2017, 11:33 AM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Well got the engine and gearbox mounts in yesterday and it’s not solved the juddering 😂

It has helped a bit, maybe 30% better but still not what I was hoping for so I take it that it’s just the clutch that’s causing it. Hopefully when it’s fully bedded in it will calm down and I have noticed it’s getting slightly better every time I use the car.

Never got any photos when I was putting them in unfortunately. I had to nip up to subaru in penicuik to get 4 14mm nuts to secure the metal top plates onto the engine mounts, as they weren’t supplied with them 😡. My mounts were a different style from the group n ones so I never had the nuts to reuse them on the new ones. Pretty straight forward job but I had the use of a gearbox lift which I used to jack the engine up from underneath. Took around an hour and a half.

Definitely a difference to engine movement and the car feels more responsive and just tighter in general.
Old 30 December 2017, 04:57 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m sure it’ll get better and you’ll learn to drive it a little differently, ie Revving much higher that you would normally just to pull away.

I’ve had a few twin plates, and exedy is by far the better twin, once bedded in its not that different to an every day clutch bar the extra grabbing.

Robert
Old 20 January 2018, 11:49 PM
scotty75
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the chances of letting me and my partner have a look at this as we are going to be on the look out for one in black .
Old 21 January 2018, 09:38 AM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scotty75
Whats the chances of letting me and my partner have a look at this as we are going to be on the look out for one in black .
Pmd mate 🙂
Old 21 January 2018, 10:29 AM
scotty75
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pmd mate 🙂
Not got anything yet .
Old 29 January 2018, 12:18 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

decent update today
i bought the CS style splitter that KAS35RSTI sells, took a bit of fitting as they are meant for a hawkeye I think. It was too long where it ends at the wheel so i had to cut each side flush with the arch. these will need capped off at some point and painted but ill get round to it later.

the main update though!
Last week i ordered an mdx321v turbo from Lateral performance and its just arrived this morning. I nearly bought a second hand one off here but turns out there was a few things that didn't add up. Cant wait to get this thing on and mapped although i still need injectors and a front mount also want to do a parallel fuel conversion, so i've still got a few things to get first.

Old 29 January 2018, 01:36 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Splitter looks a little too far forward and odd IMO.

Turbo looks lovely though! Gonna be a beast this!!!!
Old 29 January 2018, 02:08 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Splitter looks a little too far forward and odd IMO.

Turbo looks lovely though! Gonna be a beast this!!!!
Yeah it still needs a bit adjustment and proper fitment, i fitted it at half 10 at night I was just desparate to see how it looked 😂😂
Old 29 January 2018, 02:34 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

LOL. I'm like that when I get excited about parts!!!! It might look better if it was slid back another inch. Great start though.

I fitted a hawkeye splitter to my 2004 pre-facelift FSTI. Had to do quite a bit of cutting to make it look like it was supposed to be there. Obviously the facelift bumper is different, so this won't be the same for you.

My guide when I did mine.

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...ester-sti.html
Old 29 January 2018, 07:31 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
LOL. I'm like that when I get excited about parts!!!! It might look better if it was slid back another inch. Great start though.

I fitted a hawkeye splitter to my 2004 pre-facelift FSTI. Had to do quite a bit of cutting to make it look like it was supposed to be there. Obviously the facelift bumper is different, so this won't be the same for you.

My guide when I did mine.

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...ester-sti.html
Yeah your probably right mate I’ll give I another go next weekend, it might hide some of my mistakes when I got carried away with cutting the top 😂😂 I had a look through your guide before I bought it 👍🏼
Old 30 January 2018, 10:07 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Then once it's mapped and running silly power you can sell it to me!
Old 27 July 2018, 09:41 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Been a while since i've been on here so thought id give a little update on bits and pieces ive been collecting.
Been speaking with a local builder to fit my turbo and get it mapped so hopefully we can get things rolling in the next few weeks

fmic core mounted ive not bothered with the pipework yet so its still running top mount atm.

Got my wheels powdercoated in anthracite + fitted godspeed g hook discs and pads

cdf fuel rails sx fpr + modified injectors, will see how these things hold up i was originally planning on ansu injectors but these came up at a good price so ill give them a go.

GT Spec 2 headers + magma heat wrap, didnt realise how itchy this stuff was, didnt help i was wrapping them on the living room floor in shorts

Ebay AN -10 catch can, samco inlet, mishi filter, AEM afr gauge + 340lph SWRD pump
Old 28 July 2018, 08:35 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice Jack

No, seriously... what sort is it. I could do with a set-up like that

Old 28 July 2018, 12:25 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

looking great, i have used magma wrap aswell and i agree its rather itchy-similar to the urticating hairs that my taruntula once fired at me all over the back of my hand.

where did you get the gt spec headers from and how much were they? also which up-pipe have you used?
Old 30 July 2018, 08:18 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Wee DIY tonight
moulded a universal gauge pod into my cubby hole lid and gave it a paint with crinkle black to match the dash

Old 30 July 2018, 08:21 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
looking great, i have used magma wrap aswell and i agree its rather itchy-similar to the urticating hairs that my taruntula once fired at me all over the back of my hand.

where did you get the gt spec headers from and how much were they? also which up-pipe have you used?
got them off here for £360 with a Venturi uppipe by the time I bought the fitting kit and my heat wrap they’re probably not that much cheaper tbh
Old 30 July 2018, 08:34 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Nice Jack

No, seriously... what sort is it. I could do with a set-up like that

Just a newage japspeed mate supposidly they manage 600hp so be interesting to see how well it does for the price, got this one brand new still in the box for £150 absolute bargain
Old 30 July 2018, 08:43 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Just a newage japspeed mate supposidly they manage 600hp so be interesting to see how well it does for the price, got this one brand new still in the box for £150 absolute bargain
It's the lift your Foz is being held on I'm interested in - surely not 150 quid
Old 30 July 2018, 08:54 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
It's the lift your Foz is being held on I'm interested in - surely not 150 quid
ah right my dad bought it a while back dont know much about it tbh its a cantilever style lift
Old 30 July 2018, 09:06 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

ah right my dad bought it a while back dont know much about it tbh its a cantilever style lift
Looks just the job
Old 30 July 2018, 10:34 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Been following your build. I bought my FSTI back in April, and not longing after buying it started overheating when on boost but replaced the rad caps and appeared to fix it although overheated again when it was mapped by Rich at FB but hasn’t done it since even under boost. I don’t drive the car hard all the time as it’s my daily but i’ve always got it in the back of my mind it’s going to need a build at some point love to go with a 2.35 build but out of my price range so i’m hoping to find a donor 2.5 to strip and forge whilst mines still ok
Old 13 August 2019, 07:24 PM
GH05T
Scooby Regular

Putting this thing up for sale as saving for house deposit 😩

Since my last post its been all put together and mapped making 440bhp will make over 500bhp if you wish

I'm sure you will all know from the page how much I have spent.

Body work needs looked at but for the price someone is getting a bargain for what I have put into it and its a great place to take on from what I can no longer finish

£10000 or nearest offer
Cheers Jack
Contact 07477176757
Old 14 August 2019, 09:35 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

WOW, that's seriously cheap for the spec and money spent. Someone will get a bargain!

Quick Reply: Forester STI Forged Build