Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

JDM 98 V4 STI Finally off the road and in the garage!

Old 27 October 2018, 02:17 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking Nice!
Old 01 November 2018, 02:38 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01 November 2018, 02:39 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Shell = Done

Wheels next.

Then rear brakes.

Then engine bay.

Should be a fun winter.
Old 03 November 2018, 03:41 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to seeing you both out and about
Old 13 November 2018, 03:10 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Last weekend was a simple task of removing wipers and original bonnet lever and adding the bonnet struts off the group buy - Usually on scoobs nothing is simple but they fit a dream. cant recommend enough. Bought an indoor cover off Amazon which hopefully will stop it from getting scratched in the garage as people are constantly walking past it to the bins etc. Not ideal but a lot better than being outside in the elements.. The wipers are being painted for free by the spray shop, nice gesture he didnt have to but i think he feels bad that the outside looks pristine and then there is the wipers flaking old paint!

Some small tasks to do this weekend (weather permitting unfortunately). Aiming to clean out the garage so i have room to work on it inside the garage and get it on axle stands so as i can refub the wheels and get new rubber. Old chairs and microwaves and bags of insulation in the way..... who even keeps that stuff?!

If I have time ill be replacing the HT leads and coil pack with brand new items. looks simple enough to do i hope since i already have the airbox removed for the RAMAir filter. This should fix the problem of the old coil pack arcing. Replaced it originally with a second hand item but still had a problem so doing both now should sort it. Will have to remember to take pics and post them next week.
Old 15 November 2018, 01:01 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I have a set of wheels you can borrow while yours get refurbed if you want... Probably would suit your car actually 17" Black ZCW with RE070s on - got them off Brian at CAMS when I needed something to go over my new Brembos

Old 16 November 2018, 10:49 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Really appreciate the offer dude!

Its going on stands this weekend however, so would be a waste to put your (nice) rims on it while it just sits in the garage for a few months. Plus its quite a narrow garage so I'd be scared of some slight nicks on them which i just couldnt do (different if theyre my own! haha)

Hopefully getting it insured around Jan. My commute is changing from Samlesbury (40 mins) , to only Warton (5 mins), so the money I save in petrol (circa £150p/m) will be used for insurance + tax on the scoob!
Old 18 November 2018, 04:42 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Old 18 November 2018, 04:49 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ash Webster

Some small tasks to do this weekend (weather permitting unfortunately). Aiming to clean out the garage so i have room to work on it inside the garage and get it on axle stands so as i can refub the wheels and get new rubber. Old chairs and microwaves and bags of insulation in the way..... who even keeps that stuff?!

If I have time ill be replacing the HT leads and coil pack with brand new items. looks simple enough to do i hope since i already have the airbox removed for the RAMAir filter. This should fix the problem of the old coil pack arcing. Replaced it originally with a second hand item but still had a problem so doing both now should sort it. Will have to remember to take pics and post them next week.
managed to get all this done this weekend and added in a Warehouse Project trip in the middle of it so needless to say I’m grilled! But really happy with the progress I’m making - the HT leads were a simple replace , same for the coil pack - now the car doesn’t idle lumpy anymore! (No more arcing from coils). Cleared out the garage and then put the car on stands so as I can refurb the wheels and some engine bay parts power coated this week
Old 21 November 2018, 02:08 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed my coil pack and HT leads but my issue turned out to be worn out plugs.
Old 28 November 2018, 11:49 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd
I changed my coil pack and HT leads but my issue turned out to be worn out plugs.
I did mine the other way round wouldnt start one day at the spray shop because they hadnt been leaving it to run once they started it (kept moving out then in at the end of the day as no space). This resulted in a buildup of carbon on the spark plugs. Had to replace them. In hindsight the spray shop should have covered me as it was their fault but wasnt too expensive to replace them and it was on the to do list anyway.
Old 01 December 2018, 01:41 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Wheels back from Tilling Powder coaters - great refurb!

Wheels on the car (minus the plastic centre caps which are currently drying in the back after being rattle canned)

Couple of small orange hints - alternator cover, battery cover and fuse box cover to tidy up the bay a bit)

random sticker on the windscreen - anyone any info?

Overall looking tip top as far as aesthetics are concerned. now i can concentrate on the interior and engine

Last edited by Ash Webster; 01 December 2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01 December 2018, 06:53 PM
scotty75
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it's a GOJ inspection decal top number is year and bottom number is month . So 20=2008 .
Old 01 December 2018, 07:21 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Coming together nicely buddy
Old 05 December 2018, 08:55 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys ! Ahh yeh well that checks with around when it was exported to the UK.

Bit of a dilemma now - I have badges which I took off pre paint - do I put them back on or leave it de-badged?

(The STi Gel wing badges and the SUBARU boot lettering)

I misplaced the battery clamp rods so have just picked up some universal ones off amazon - looks like i need to cut them to suit so will be doing that this weekend (hate finishin work after 7pm :/)

However that being said i'm off for xmas from 14th - 3rd so I can hopefully spend some 'alone' time ith the engine bay (polishing it all and cleaning it with a toothbrush, especially the header tank and the underside of the bonnet) Anyone any tips for giving the engine a good clean without removing bits or powerwashing it as ive seen people do.

Id've thought:
  • some rust converter on the small rusted patches (bracket on the left especially) then leave it
  • degreaser on gunky parts then leave it
  • scrub off with a brush
  • good clean with ???
  • polish metal areas
  • no idea what nxt

Last edited by Ash Webster; 05 December 2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05 December 2018, 08:59 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Cool

Nice job Ash... I find WD40 works well on most engine bay parts...
Old 26 February 2019, 01:20 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Finally - 'Out of the garage and back on the road' - new thread?

Well done Sir!
Old 26 February 2019, 02:38 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mick
Finally - 'Out of the garage and back on the road' - new thread?

Well done Sir!
i take it youve seen me around?

the roads round here are terrible for my track suspension though.. such a harsh ride....

getting new tyres on this weekend (proxes), and its booked in to TEG sport in lancs (since scoobytek has closed) to have the fmic, bcs and fpr fitted and mapped in.. i was talked out of the 740cc injectors by andy carr, he says ESL doesnt work well with bigger injectors, and the bigger you go the worse it performs. hopefully the 440s on it now wont be at max duty or ill have to get 550s which he said was about the max

also putting new discs and pads all round.

this weather is suiting me nicely... trackdays booked for summer but could book some more sooner!

absolutely loving the paint job - i couldnt justify spending £3k on it and just leaving it in the garage - so its my daily now! haha

Last edited by Ash Webster; 26 February 2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 27 February 2019, 01:02 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Cool

i take it youve seen me around?

the roads round here are terrible for my track suspension though.. such a harsh ride....

... - so its my daily now! haha
I've just seen it outside your house...

I have gone to Ohlins to try to get some relief from the harshness of the roads - definitely an improvement - but you still know they are there...

Looking forward to another 'synchronised hyper-acceleration overtake' then

On the bike again with this glorious weather at the moment though

Last edited by Mick; 27 February 2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 18 March 2019, 01:55 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Just dropped it off at TEG sport in Lancaster to have the FMIC fitted as well as tidy up some niggles that the garage i trusted before left me with.

Im pretty sure the potholes round here have ****ed up a wheel bearing already (replaced them like 100 miles ago.....) , so ive asked them to rectify that too...

Costing me an arm and a leg but i work hard for it so **** it!
Old 22 March 2019, 06:39 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Old 22 March 2019, 06:55 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

First off cannot recommend TEG sport in Lancaster enough - Aaron was a very knowledgeable guy - went over the whole car even tho he didn't have to! Found out a couple of wheel lugs were stripped, rear shocks loose, front wheel loose! Definitely staying away from other garages that did my alignment and tyres!

I dunno if I'm happy with 315 but for a 21 year old car and no bigger turbo i think its OK? thoughts?

Car idles smoothly now thanks to the FPR (Fuelab), and still boosts like a kick up the ****! the FMIC hasn't really affected turbo lag..
The following users liked this post:
Old 24 March 2019, 03:41 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off cannot recommend TEG sport in Lancaster enough - Aaron was a very knowledgeable guy - went over the whole car even tho he didn't have to! Found out a couple of wheel lugs were stripped, rear shocks loose, front wheel loose! Definitely staying away from other garages that did my alignment and tyres!

I dunno if I'm happy with 315 but for a 21 year old car and no bigger turbo i think its OK? thoughts?

Car idles smoothly now thanks to the FPR (Fuelab), and still boosts like a kick up the ****! the FMIC hasn't really affected turbo lag..

Which FMIC do you have buddy? how was fitment? 315 is a decent figure considering age and spec etc.
Old 25 March 2019, 04:28 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Japspeed - got it for something like £150 with discounts and an ebay discount....fitment wasnt great apparantly, and you cant quite tell but he had to squish it around the engine oil cap. Obviously the bumper had to be cut and he said he had to move it about 2cm forward to stop some of the pipework from protruding through the front of the bumper.

As far as performance goes it works a treat. Very happy with the car right now. just needs a cage and some harnesses and im good to track! (oh and new rubber! ughh haha)

Last edited by Ash Webster; 26 March 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 29 March 2019, 03:34 PM
Itamar_M
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice looking Car!

Any more plans for the engine bay?

ET
Old 01 April 2019, 01:25 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Not until the engine goes! Ideally i want to tidy up that rusty bracket on the left, clean up the header tank and sort out the inlet manifold

But its a lot of effort to remove and since im using it everyday (for now) i wont have time to powder coat them before i need to use the car for work. For the header tank would involve refilling the coolant system which is a lot of hassle just to clean up a bit of metal.

The plan is for when/if the engine goes to build my own CDB and convert to 6 speed with about an 8k budget. Could be this year could be 5 years from now.
Old 02 April 2019, 05:19 PM
Itamar_M
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Completely understandable. Daily drivers are a whole different story when it comes to wanting to upgrade them.

In any case that car looks great!

ET
Old 11 April 2019, 01:19 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Cool

Grabbed a photo opportunity with the legend this morning

Old 15 April 2019, 10:28 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

The myth the legend! I havent seen yours about but if i do i shall return the favour! It hope it looks better now ive sorted some of the aesthetics out even though they were last on my to do list...

Found out (via 2 new knock sensors) that my circuit wiring is causing intermittent error 22. Will need to get someone better at electrics to fix this for me.. pain in the **** having to reset the ecu every now and then...

Need to get that sorted before oulton time attack in the coming months!

My to-do list now consists of:

Windscreen needs re-sealing (leaking from the top since the respray...., guys fobbed me off, bit annoyed)
Hard brake lines need doing (then i can FINALLY fit the braided lines to them)
Fix knock sensor wiring
roll cage - kinda dont want but need - i dont want the extra weight my car is LIGHT
new rubber - definitely before the track day

not bad considering my to-do list 2 years ago was an excel spreadsheet about 40/50 lines long......

anyone any sponsors for time attack?
Old 21 April 2019, 09:45 PM
Scooby Stevo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you know the guy with the impreza close to the petrol station ? think hes had a couple over the years

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JDM 98 V4 STI Finally off the road and in the garage!