Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

RS3 8V: One step at a time

Old 06 November 2018, 05:19 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaun
Mines a 2016 8V model. They now have the 8V2 (face lift) out now with the new aluminium engine.

Yes, I have the mag ride. It's all very subjective though..... I would test drive one to see how you think it feels.

They are certainly no Scooby in the chassis department, but I think they are very very nice (and quick) road car.
Thanks for replying.
I test drove the FK2 type r, 2011 RS3, and owned an RS for 6 months, on all 3 the ride was - for me anyway - way too firm for a daily on UK roads and on motorway journeys the RS with its shell seats was bloody uncomfortable.
The Golf R was underwhelming but had a much more compliant ride so if it’s close to that and similar in pick up to the C63 then sounds like it might be a decent option.
Old 07 November 2018, 12:34 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MrNoisy

Thanks for replying.
I test drove the FK2 type r, 2011 RS3, and owned an RS for 6 months, on all 3 the ride was - for me anyway - way too firm for a daily on UK roads and on motorway journeys the RS with its shell seats was bloody uncomfortable.
The Golf R was underwhelming but had a much more compliant ride so if it’s close to that and similar in pick up to the C63 then sounds like it might be a decent option.
The 8v is definitely better than the previous gen 8p that you drove. Get out in one! 😀
Old 07 November 2018, 01:19 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's been a long time coming and yes, I can't wait to get this ripping down the tarmac.

A heavily tuned (similar spec to mine) facelift RS3 Saloon in the US is banging out 100-200 kmph in 4s flat. That's as quick as a Macca P1.
thats frightening pace for a very easy to drive family car Videos or it never happened :P
Old 09 November 2018, 08:32 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Last piece of the fabrication jigsaw was made and fitted today by the in-house fabrication team at Litchfield...... a nice “little” boost pipe. 😎

New engine was fired up late this afternoon.... dyno time very soon! 😍😍😍 💥💥💥
Old 29 November 2018, 06:37 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

The 8v is definitely better than the previous gen 8p that you drove. Get out in one! 😀
Erm so...I did. And bought it yesterday 😂
65 plate in black with virtually every option ticked other than the sports seats as it has the electric lumbar and design pack 3 (disappointing but not a deal breaker).
For me the car had to have magride and exhaust as a minimum; have to say I agree with you they’ve moved on massively, the ride was more comfortable than the Mercedes.
I blame your bad influence .
So the C63 was chopped in for it, had horrendous weather to drive down to fetch it, drive back was a lot less twitchy!
Was very impressed - feels like it has every one of the advertised horsepower whereas the Focus RS, even with the Mountune pack, felt like a WRX in terms of pace.
Looking forward to see what it’s capable of. Spent most of the way home fighting with the bloody satnav!

Last edited by MrNoisy; 29 November 2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 29 November 2018, 08:52 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Pictures pictures pictures!!!!
Old 29 November 2018, 01:23 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Pictures pictures pictures!!!!
Here you go then....

Old 29 November 2018, 01:29 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That's lovely. Very understated indeed. See what you mean about the seats, but everything else is spot on.
Old 29 November 2018, 01:55 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
That's lovely. Very understated indeed. See what you mean about the seats, but everything else is spot on.
Thanks mate, yep that's one of the things I like about it, understated, but it does look mean in black.
When I picked it up it was sat between a C63S and a sky blue 911, but didn't look out of place.
After my M3 I swore I'd never have another black car, but then my current bug STI is black and now this - oops hehe.
Will be getting some extra security sorted and some PPF / Ceramic coating done ASAP so it's properly protected for the winter.
Feels very planted on the road, but conditions yesterday when I picked it up were utterly awful so didn't exactly push hard on the way home. Hoping I'll get to go out and play a little tomorrow
Old 29 November 2018, 05:50 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it sat on the OE Pirellis? I found my terrible on them and swapped them for Michelin PS4S - huge damp/greasy road improvement ��
Old 29 November 2018, 08:00 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Brun
Is it sat on the OE Pirellis? I found my terrible on them and swapped them for Michelin PS4S - huge damp/greasy road improvement ��
Yes mate, fronts are brand new but rears will need replacing next year and will go for P4S’s then - have them on all my cars, superb tyres
Old 30 November 2018, 12:58 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Shaun / Brun how you find the brakes?
Been out today for a quick blat and at higher speeds they don’t scrub off the pace as quick as I’d like. Have either of you switched to uprated pads or discs?
Old 30 November 2018, 03:39 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Still on the standard brakes here. I probably don’t drive hard enough to complain about them to be honest. I have however braked moderately hard from 120+mph and the weight shift which makes the back end light is very unnearving.
Old 07 December 2018, 07:06 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Shaun / Brun how you find the brakes?
Been out today for a quick blat and at higher speeds they don’t scrub off the pace as quick as I’d like. Have either of you switched to uprated pads or discs?
Don't expect too much from them.

I'll be swapping out to AP's in due course.

BTW.... car looks very nice.
Old 07 December 2018, 07:07 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have however braked moderately hard from 120+mph and the weight shift which makes the back end light is very unnearving.
THIS!
Old 06 January 2019, 06:36 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Bloody hell Shaun, I’ve only just stumbled over this thread and you after many years away. You’re still spending big on your cars I see then pal?? I’ve bought myself a nice RA to play with, 51 yrs old and never learn. Lol. The chats we had on here years ago regsrding specs etc of our cars, I assume the Spec C went then?? Richard no longer has Tractive I hear too??

Regards Pete aka Staffi
Old 15 January 2019, 09:11 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Don't expect too much from them.

I'll be swapping out to AP's in due course.

BTW.... car looks very nice.
I now have the squealing front brakes issue with mine, more than likely down to it being used for short journeys instead of being hammered all the time.

Probably going to try the Reyland 2 piece floating discs and DS2500’s instead of the original OEM junk. Seriously struggle to believe it doesn’t have directional discs as standard on a 370bhp car!! The more I read up on it the scarier it becomes.

PPF and full ceramic coat got applied before Christmas but I wasn’t fully happy with the first attempt so it’s going back to be sorted out this Friday.
The other thing I’ve noticed now it’s started getting colder is the traction control likes to intervene way before it needs to; it’s nowhere as bad as my old M3 but believe it or not worse than the C63 it replaced!
I honestly don’t think it is struggling either I think the system is simply too protective.

Apparently this can get worse running grippier tyres like P4S’s (which I almost certainly will when it comes time to replace them) so I can see myself turning it to sport mode more in the coming months....but first haldex oil and filter change and an engine oil change are on the cards!

Last edited by MrNoisy; 15 January 2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 18 January 2019, 11:42 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I now have the squealing front brakes issue with mine, more than likely down to it being used for short journeys instead of being hammered all the time.

Probably going to try the Reyland 2 piece floating discs and DS2500’s instead of the original OEM junk. Seriously struggle to believe it doesn’t have directional discs as standard on a 370bhp car!! The more I read up on it the scarier it becomes.

PPF and full ceramic coat got applied before Christmas but I wasn’t fully happy with the first attempt so it’s going back to be sorted out this Friday.
The other thing I’ve noticed now it’s started getting colder is the traction control likes to intervene way before it needs to; it’s nowhere as bad as my old M3 but believe it or not worse than the C63 it replaced!
I honestly don’t think it is struggling either I think the system is simply too protective.

Apparently this can get worse running grippier tyres like P4S’s (which I almost certainly will when it comes time to replace them) so I can see myself turning it to sport mode more in the coming months....but first haldex oil and filter change and an engine oil change are on the cards!
Absolutely, I fitted MPS4s to mine and immediately noticed the traction control was intervening on every journey. It’s worst when the road surface is poor but it’s way, way too sensitive. Literally the first thing I do after starting the car and setting the exhaust to “********” is to turn the tcs to sport.
Old 19 January 2019, 03:47 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

...and setting the exhaust to “********”...

Old 19 January 2019, 06:32 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Absolutely, I fitted MPS4s to mine and immediately noticed the traction control was intervening on every journey. It’s worst when the road surface is poor but it’s way, way too sensitive. Literally the first thing I do after starting the car and setting the exhaust to “********” is to turn the tcs to sport.
hahaha yeah that’s the tyres I’ll be going for when the P zeros fitted to the car get worn.
Apparently running them at higher pressure helps a little.

re exhaust why do you change it after starting the car?
one of the things I love about the Audi is that it remembers the mode you were last in, something that really irritates the hell out of me with BMW and AMG machinery when they reset every time you start it!

I also bought Carista and enabled the oil temperature display on every screen as I couldn’t believe that was off by default on an RS model.
Old 19 January 2019, 07:22 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

hahaha yeah that’s the tyres I’ll be going for when the P zeros fitted to the car get worn.
Apparently running them at higher pressure helps a little.

re exhaust why do you change it after starting the car?
one of the things I love about the Audi is that it remembers the mode you were last in, something that really irritates the hell out of me with BMW and AMG machinery when they reset every time you start it!

I also bought Carista and enabled the oil temperature display on every screen as I couldn’t believe that was off by default on an RS model.
The car remembers it was in Individual mode but always starts with the valves briefly open and then shut almost immediately regardless of what mode I’m in. Is yours a Facelift?

Last edited by Brun; 20 January 2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 19 January 2019, 07:48 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

The car remembers it was in Individual mode but always had the valves shut on startup regardless of what mode I’m in. Is yours a Facelift?
2015 mate.
When it starts in individual it’s quite loud.
Only goes quiet if I set exhaust to comfort.
Old 19 January 2019, 11:17 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Interesting, mine is a 16. It always starts loud but the valves close almost immediately then I have to cycle through the modes to re open them.
Old 24 January 2019, 09:35 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Pete
Bloody hell Shaun, I’ve only just stumbled over this thread and you after many years away. You’re still spending big on your cars I see then pal?? I’ve bought myself a nice RA to play with, 51 yrs old and never learn. Lol. The chats we had on here years ago regsrding specs etc of our cars, I assume the Spec C went then?? Richard no longer has Tractive I hear too??

Regards Pete aka Staffi
Hey Pete - long time no speak!!

Jesus... SPEC C went in 2010! 😂😂

Not sure about Richard.... haven’t spoke to him in years tbh. That doesn’t surprise me as I know he was talking about getting back to race teams and consulting.
Old 24 January 2019, 09:37 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Interesting, mine is a 16. It always starts loud but the valves close almost immediately then I have to cycle through the modes to re open them.
They all do this.

Just disconnect the exhaust valves! 😂
Old 24 January 2019, 09:38 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you’re that bothered I wouldn’t mess about..... get AP’s fitted.
Old 24 February 2019, 08:02 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Went over to Litchos yesterday to see the car and personally fire her up! I haven’t done that for a while!

They have a small snagging list to sort over the next couple of weeks and then the intention is for me to use the car and get some feedback to Iain before it goes back again. They’ll then pull the turbo kit off and get it sent away to be dimple heat shielded , once that’s done Iain will turn the wick up to 11 on the 3576.

We’re assuming the current fuel system will cope enough to max out the 76 (we’ll find out soon enough) but I’m currently looking at secondary injection and LPFP upgrade now as I’ll certainly need this to exploit the 3582 for when that goes on, let alone the 3584. A couple of options exist.

Once I’m in a position to do so I’ll start posting dyno and acceleration data on the 3576 setup, that’s when the fun really starts for me!

I’m aiming to keep the car as OEM looking as possible, both outside and under the bonnet. I’ve decided to retain the stock “horrible” wheels and going to put the front number plate back in its original position.

The engine bay looks Uber understated currently..... I think I’m going to junk the REVO intake and get a custom made black crinkle painted inlet pipe made up. Full stealthfest!

Looking at my engine bay you wouldn’t know it had a 3576 and custom manifold strapped on the back of it.

Oh.... and I did take it out for a “gentle” punt yesterday, but more on this when I have some real world data to support any subjective comments.
Looks like the 3582 is trying to get in on the act already! Your time will come soon enough son!

Old 06 April 2019, 06:22 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

This setup is definitely fighting me at every opportunity!

We’ve now fitted the GTX3582R GEN2 and VIS HPFP wouldn’t play ball. Fuel pressure was dropping to 105-110bar so didn’t allow us to use anymore than 1.3bar boost. LPFP and injectors were fine via logs and it appears to be the VIS HPFP. The pump was secondhand to be fair (lessons learnt).

After a number of conversations the recommendation was to either go with the latest 12.1mm LOBA or the APR unit. Due to being able to track down a LOBA unit (thanks goes to MRC for this!), we now have this baby in hand.

Time to fit and crank that boost up!

Old 06 April 2019, 07:50 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to see you are still persevering with it shaun
Old 09 April 2019, 07:01 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by gussy
Glad to see you are still persevering with it shaun
Too ***** deep to do anything else mate!

It's been quite a nightmare with delays around parts and fabrication....... so different to the Subaru scene where you can see things and buy them for delivery instantly. Everyone talks a big game in the Audi aftermarket parts sector, but it's like pulling teeth when you want to place orders. The reality is, is there are not many people (I'm one of literally a couple) doing this, to this extent with my generation of RS3 in the UK.

It is what it is though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS3 8V: One step at a time