ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Buying advice - please! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/999138-buying-advice-please.html)

fozt 08 March 2014 12:35 PM

Buying advice - please!

Hello,

Always wanted a scooby, since I was young - and now I'm in the position to get myself one.

I'm looking at getting a 2005 blobeye - can't afford an STI unfortunately.

I'm looking for buying advice, what I should look out for, and how much I should be looking to pay for one in good condition. This will also be my daily driver, so if there is anything else I should take into consideration please let me know!

Any help/pointers would be really appreciated!

Foz.

Gear Head 08 March 2014 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by fozt (Post 11373421)
Hello,

Always wanted a scooby, since I was young - and now I'm in the position to get myself one.

I'm looking at getting a 2005 blobeye - can't afford an STI unfortunately.

I'm looking for buying advice, what I should look out for, and how much I should be looking to pay for one in good condition. This will also be my daily driver, so if there is anything else I should take into consideration please let me know!

Any help/pointers would be really appreciated!

Foz.

Can you afford to run one would be my question. Similar running costs to that of an sti.

fozt 08 March 2014 01:07 PM

Yeah I don't think running costs will be a problem - it's more the initial purchase of an STI that's the issue.

Gear Head 08 March 2014 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by fozt (Post 11373437)
Yeah I don't think running costs will be a problem - it's more the initial purchase of an STI that's the issue.

Then a mint example with 50-60k, good history, a few subtle mods will be from £4500 to £5500.

Obviously, you can get them cheaper. But they ate usually cheap for a reason.

Bought my 05 WRX in August last year with 57k on the clock for £4700. Needed wheel refurbished and a front end respray to get rid of atone chips.

wrx9181 08 March 2014 01:15 PM

Right
1 never buy in the rain, see the car in good outside lighting, if off a dealer and inside get the car outside and spend 15-30 mins inspecting the bodywork and interior.
Time it if it's easier . If you have an eye for detail you'll see any overspray fonts I'll fitting body panels fag burns in seat carpets etc etc .
2 take somebody mechanically minded especially subaru wise.
3 ask to see pervious mots any faults can be highlighted there( not always though)
4 be savy if it smells wrong it prob is and walk

fozt 08 March 2014 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 11373439)
Then a mint example with 50-60k, good history, a few subtle mods will be from £4500 to £5500.

Obviously, you can get them cheaper. But they ate usually cheap for a reason.

Bought my 05 WRX in August last year with 57k on the clock for £4700. Needed wheel refurbished and a front end respray to get rid of atone chips.

Ahh that's great - seen a couple around that price.

Is yours a daily driver?

ditchmyster 08 March 2014 01:21 PM

Welcome, don't mean to be rude but you do realise you'll be lucky to get 250 miles to a tank of Vpower taking it easy and at 70 cruising steady paying attention you'll get around 300 to a tank, give it beans and your looking at around 200 miles at £70 a fill.

Only reason I say this is we get a lot of people come on here thinking they can afford one as a daily drive and quickly realise that they drink fuel, hence many cars having 5,6,7 owners.

Add to that servicing costs and oil changes every 5k max and if you do a reasonable amount of miles they get expensive quickly, brake pads and discs £250 ish tyres £100 per corner.

Only saying this so you know what your letting yourself in for before you jump in with both feet, lots of people on here find it cheaper to run a sh!t box in the week and have the scoob as a weekend car.

fozt 08 March 2014 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11373450)
Welcome, don't mean to be rude but you do realise you'll be lucky to get 250 miles to a tank of Vpower taking it easy and at 70 cruising steady paying attention you'll get around 300 to a tank, give it beans and your looking at around 200 miles at £70 a fill.

Only reason I say this is we get a lot of people come on here thinking they can afford one as a daily drive and quickly realise that they drink fuel, hence many cars having 5,6,7 owners.

Add to that servicing costs and oil changes every 5k max and if you do a reasonable amount of miles they get expensive quickly, brake pads and discs £250 ish tyres £100 per corner.

Only saying this so you know what your letting yourself in for before you jump in with both feet, lots of people on here find it cheaper to run a sh!t box in the week and have the scoob as a weekend car.

No that's a fair statement!

Fuel consumption is more than my current car (a lot more) but I'm ok with that, as I'm looking for a car that's fun too! I also used to run a Discovery that got 350 miles to a 120 tank - so similar costs. I have a diesel civic as a second car that I can use for really long drives too.

I'm all up for spending money on a car to maintain it, as I understand the importance.

I think i've taken most things into consideration, but you're right in bringing this all to my attention - It could be too much to run, but I do hope not, as I've always wanted one, and i want to keep it! :)

Thanks for the reply! :)

Gerd 08 March 2014 05:55 PM

Are you looking to do any mods or go for some big power (it can get quite addictive once you start!) I only ask because if you are have a serious think about an STI. The bottom ends are stronger as are the 6 speed boxes.

I went WRX which was running 350bhp (previous owner spent a far bit on turbo, fmic, injectors, headers, exhaust, map but nothing on supporting mods) I've had to sort the brakes, bottom end (mine went ping big style after 3K) I'm now looking at a 6 speed set up as after the new forged bottom end and map I'm really pushing the limit of the 5 speed box. In the long run I'd of been better of starting with an STI.

Good luck whichever way you go and enjoy.

johned 08 March 2014 06:38 PM

Before you buy check out insurance cost.

fozt 08 March 2014 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gerd (Post 11373609)
Are you looking to do any mods or go for some big power (it can get quite addictive once you start!) I only ask because if you are have a serious think about an STI. The bottom ends are stronger as are the 6 speed boxes.

I went WRX which was running 350bhp (previous owner spent a far bit on turbo, fmic, injectors, headers, exhaust, map but nothing on supporting mods) I've had to sort the brakes, bottom end (mine went ping big style after 3K) I'm now looking at a 6 speed set up as after the new forged bottom end and map I'm really pushing the limit of the 5 speed box. In the long run I'd of been better of starting with an STI.

Good luck whichever way you go and enjoy.

Not currently looking at doing any mods, I'm 22 and my insurance would sky rocket!

I would absolutely love an STI, but unfortunately they're just not within my budget :(

Thanks!

Gear Head 08 March 2014 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by fozt (Post 11373671)

Not currently looking at doing any mods, I'm 22 and my insurance would sky rocket!

I would absolutely love an STI, but unfortunately they're just not within my budget :(

Thanks!

This may sound like a very rude question, but considering your insurance cost, do you have any spare cash just in case something fails?

Reason I ask this because many Impreza end up on the scrap heap or being stripped for spares even if say the gearbox goes bang.

And to your earlier question, yes, mine is my daily driver. But, I live 3 miles from work.

fozt 08 March 2014 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 11373719)
This may sound like a very rude question, but considering your insurance cost, do you have any spare cash just in case something fails?

Reason I ask this because many Impreza end up on the scrap heap or being stripped for spares even if say the gearbox goes bang.

And to your earlier question, yes, mine is my daily driver. But, I live 3 miles from work.

Not at all - I do have money set aside for such repairs - I've just set myself a budget for the purchase and insurance and I want to stick to it :)

Ahh ok, I live about 7 miles from work, mainly dual carriage ways.