ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Space nerds... What's happening to the moon tonight?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/998794-space-nerds-whats-happening-to-the-moon-tonight.html)

LSherratt 03 March 2014 08:33 PM

Space nerds... What's happening to the moon tonight??

I was driving home and at about 20:25 the moon totally disappeared for a few minutes and then started to get bigger slightly. Then it got a tiny bit smaller so that a very thin slither of moon is showing near the bottom right side.

Is it just as simple as a very crescent moon? It looked like a lunar eclipse!

gc8-r 03 March 2014 08:39 PM

That acid is affecting your brain........!! ;)

Matteeboy 03 March 2014 08:43 PM

Too much pesticide sniffing?!

On a weather theme, I took some snaps of the sea tonight and very nearly got knocked over by a freak wave.. Oops.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...42392016_n.jpg

Never seen my dog run away so fast!

thenewgalaxy 03 March 2014 08:43 PM

Moon's size doesn't change in the sky. Some people perceive it to do so through a phenomenon known as Ponzo's illusion - the brain sees the sky as a flattened dome and objects on the horizon seem bigger.

As for the crescent, I've had a look outside and it's a very wispy one, almost like a fingernail clipping. Not aware of any lunar eclipse! Next one is on the 14th April and will only be very partially visible in the UK.

LSherratt 03 March 2014 08:51 PM

I saw it totally disappear, that's no illusion! I am feeling a bit tired though! Impressive crescent though if that's all it is....

RA Dunk 03 March 2014 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11369115)
Too much pesticide sniffing?!

On a weather theme, I took some snaps of the sea tonight and very nearly got knocked over by a freak wave.. Oops.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...42392016_n.jpg

Never seen my dog run away so fast!

The moon could have actually had quite a big play in this considering the moon plays a massive roll in tides.

Matteeboy 03 March 2014 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 11369166)
The moon could have actually had quite a big play in this considering the moon plays a massive roll in tides.

Yep, big Spring tides so it's higher than usual. Massive swell too!

Turbohot 03 March 2014 10:15 PM

I caught the sight of the moon about 8pm tonight. It was lingering like a Christmas dec above some roadside hotel near Two Mills on the Wirral. I thought if it was Premier Inn, they'd be well chuffed! I could see full periphery, but only the fingernail clipping bit was ivory white. Rest looked like a clear bubble. it looked more like a French manicured nail in a totally round shape. I didn't think it looked extra-ordinary for the moon.

Chocador 03 March 2014 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11369136)
I saw it totally disappear, that's no illusion! I am feeling a bit tired though! Impressive crescent though if that's all it is....

Could it have been a passing cloud?
I am more intrigued by the bright light in the sky to the east around 5-7 am in the morning,I think its the int space station but unsure?

JDM_333 03 March 2014 10:21 PM

Did you see a cat walk by and meow twice as well?, that's a glitch in the Matrix, it happens when they change something.

andylinney 03 March 2014 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chocador (Post 11369236)
Could it have been a passing cloud?
I am more intrigued by the bright light in the sky to the east around 5-7 am in the morning,I think its the int space station but unsure?

The ISS goes tear-arseing across the sky so if it was relatively static it may have been another satellite or perhaps one of the planets.

We're blessed with very dark skies on our bit of Anglesey and it's easy to see how people get totally captivated by stargazing.

Chocador 04 March 2014 08:31 AM

This thing I noticed around 4 months ago,it looked strange as it was like a mirror reflecting the sun before the sun had risen.
It's been more noticeable over winter with the darker mornings and how bright it is.
I watched it 1 morning as it changed from what looked like a star to a white dot in the sky,its visible long after the other stars disappear with daylight.
Possibly a satellite,I thought it ay have been the iss but its not moving that fast to say its tear arsing.

Jamie 04 March 2014 10:54 AM

Stay off the drugs it was just cloud cover.

Rescue Dude 04 March 2014 11:30 AM

The moon!!!?

You don't believe in that do you!!?

NASA invented it. :lol1:

Jamie 04 March 2014 11:44 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...s2c5d312e.jpeg

LSherratt 04 March 2014 01:48 PM

:razz: :hjtwofing

tony de wonderful 04 March 2014 01:50 PM

Stay off the bath salts.

BOB.T 07 March 2014 12:47 PM

Did you get really close, and then move away? :Suspiciou

Littleted 10 March 2014 11:03 AM

It was the giant Anal Aliens passing between earth and the Moon, in there ship that normally sits darkside.

Its probably the same guys who have just sucked up that airline.

Did I help ?

By the Way L, are there actually any home telescopes that can really zoom into the moons surface ? ping me a few links, always fascinated me. I have 2 velux windows 3rd floor of the house, which I could use.

dunx 15 March 2014 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chocador (Post 11369386)
This thing I noticed around 4 months ago,it looked strange as it was like a mirror reflecting the sun before the sun had risen.
It's been more noticeable over winter with the darker mornings and how bright it is.
I watched it 1 morning as it changed from what looked like a star to a white dot in the sky,its visible long after the other stars disappear with daylight.
Possibly a satellite,I thought it ay have been the iss but its not moving that fast to say its tear arsing.

1. yes the ISS is tear-arsing across the sky.
2. any satellite you can see will do this...
3. as the solar panels are angled towards the sun, as it moves away the amount of light reflected diminishes until it passes into the Earth's shadow...
4. If it moves at the same rate as the sun it's merely a planet, Venus in the morning....

HTH

dunx

LSherratt 16 March 2014 09:12 PM

The moon is looking awesome tonight :cool: