ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   AP caliper re-build time (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/997401-ap-caliper-re-build-time.html)

Legacyb4-Dan 14 February 2014 12:44 PM

AP caliper re-build time

So time has come to take off my AP Racing CP6600 calipers. Im wondering has anyone rebuilt these themselves? I have the new caliper seal kit which includes new dust boots, seals and bleed nipples, i also need to remove the wear plates and fir new securing bolts to them. These seem like a two-piece aluminium caliper:

I might need to split them to remove the wear plate screws IS this easy to do?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...ano/cp6600.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...o/cp6600-2.jpg

Are they bolted together and sealed? i havent had a good look at them in a while so i cant remember. Hopefully i can get away with just replacing the dust boots and wear plate and repaint them :) If anyone has worked on these ones before let me know.

Cheers

Dan

Godspeed Brakes 14 February 2014 12:54 PM

HI
Yes you can split the calipers , we do when we recondition them , its easier to get the wear plates out then as they can be little buggers to get out .

There are no seals in between the 2 caliper halves as the fluid is supplied from one side to the other with the link pipe , this will need removing before splitting them

All fairly straight forward to do

Cheers Ian

Legacyb4-Dan 14 February 2014 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 11353554)
HI
Yes you can split the calipers , we do when we recondition them , its easier to get the wear plates out then as they can be little buggers to get out .

There are no seals in between the 2 caliper halves as the fluid is supplied from one side to the other with the link pipe , this will need removing before splitting them

All fairly straight forward to do

Cheers Ian

Thanks for the reply Ian, If i lived closer i would send them to you to get reconditioned, but since its my daily driver i need to minimise down time. SO how are the two halved held together?

I tried removing the wear plate bolts as there is build up behind them pushing them out and causing them to grip the pads,with the calipers still together like pictured above and there is not really any room to get them out, i already rounded the heads on 2 of them so i think i need to split them alright!

Godspeed Brakes 14 February 2014 01:12 PM

there are 4 allen key bolts holding them together , you can see the head of one bolt in your top photo just behind the pipe

AS Performance 14 February 2014 01:13 PM

looking from the rear of the caliper there are 2x allen bolts top and bottom that hold the caliper halves together..............

Legacyb4-Dan 14 February 2014 01:40 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, is there any sealer to re-apply between the halves when putting them back together? I noticed the seal kits dont come with any grease, what kind of grease should i use when putting the pistons back into the caliper body?

staaf 14 February 2014 01:45 PM

I always use this, even in de meantime when I check on the brake pads and disc during service a little drop of cylinder past between the bust boot and the cylinder.

http://www.ate-info.de/en/products/d...-paste-180-ml/

Godspeed Brakes 14 February 2014 01:45 PM

We use red caliper grease , the 2 halves go together dry

staaf 14 February 2014 01:55 PM

Is there a difference in whitstanding a specific temperature or something like that?
Never saw red grease before only blue.

quattroowner 14 February 2014 01:57 PM

Im curently doing the same on my Alcon brake's, similar design as such apart from the dust seals.

Just struggling with the correct bleed nipple size's for them, Caliper p/n here

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb42e5f8d.jpg

Apologies for the thread drift

Godspeed Brakes 14 February 2014 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by staaf (Post 11353605)
Is there a difference in whitstanding a specific temperature or something like that?
Never saw red grease before only blue.

When the calipers are bled it will flush the grease out , the grease is in there only to help building them , we've used the same grease since Adam was a boy !

Originally Posted by quattroowner (Post 11353606)
Im curently doing the same on my Alcon brake's, similar design as such apart from the dust seals.

Just struggling with the correct bleed nipple size's for them, Caliper p/n here

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb42e5f8d.jpg

Apologies for the thread drift

Alcon usually have imperial bleed nipples , 3/8 UNF , it should be cast into the side of the caliper by the bleed nipple UNF or MM

Legacyb4-Dan 14 February 2014 02:16 PM

I think i have all the parts i need now to rebuild so ill hopefully get started on them soon, actually need to get the paint to respray them. Just need to decide on colour scheme! Red or black or something else! Decisions decisions!

Is it best to remove the pistons with an airline when removed from the car or press them most of the way out with the brake pedal while still hooked up to car with pads removed from caliper?

Godspeed Brakes 14 February 2014 02:21 PM

Pump the pistons out most of the way while they are still connected to the car , they will be easy to pull out the rest of the way then.
If you get stuck or need to know anything while stripping them just ask

Cheers Ian

Legacyb4-Dan 14 February 2014 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 11353631)
Pump the pistons out most of the way while they are still connected to the car , they will be easy to pull out the rest of the way then.
If you get stuck or need to know anything while stripping them just ask

Cheers Ian

Thanks Ian, when refitting the wear plates do i need to use any sealant to secure them in place and stop build up getting in behind them again?

Godspeed Brakes 14 February 2014 03:07 PM

we don't but then we powder coat them so its seals the alloy very well , you can put some copper slip under them , and then on the pads when you refit them , the bolts will hold them in securely
Cheers Ian

Legacyb4-Dan 14 February 2014 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 11353593)
We use red caliper grease , the 2 halves go together dry

Would the grease that comes with the subaru caliper seal kit do the job? i think i have a few satchets there. There is a warning on the back of the AP caliper seal kit stating not to use mineral oil based lubricant as it will damage the seals. Is something like the castrol red rubber grease fine to use?

Godspeed Brakes 14 February 2014 03:42 PM

The expand if you put mineral grease on the lol , yes the red grease in the packs of standard seals will be fine

quattroowner 14 February 2014 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 11353615)
When the calipers are bled it will flush the grease out , the grease is in there only to help building them , we've used the same grease since Adam was a boy !

Alcon usually have imperial bleed nipples , 3/8 UNF , it should be cast into the side of the caliper by the bleed nipple UNF or MM

Aye i does say UNF in the side of the caliper, is there a certain "length" or are they universal. Many thanks for your help

Godspeed Brakes 14 February 2014 04:46 PM

you can get various lengths , best measure what you need , probably about 30-35mm

Legacyb4-Dan 17 February 2014 12:23 AM

Whats the best kind of paint to respray the caliper body with? They are not too bad, lots of chips on the outside, so a light sanding and re-spray in something like VHT caliper paint? Bang on some new stickers, job done?

Godspeed Brakes 17 February 2014 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Legacyb4-Dan (Post 11355817)
Whats the best kind of paint to respray the caliper body with? They are not too bad, lots of chips on the outside, so a light sanding and re-spray in something like VHT caliper paint? Bang on some new stickers, job done?

You don't need VHT paint unless your going to do some serious track work , we just use normal paint when painting calipers , or better still we powder coat certain colours which is a lot nicer and harder wearing

Legacyb4-Dan 17 February 2014 02:38 PM

Grand so they are in ok nick paint was so they shouldnt be too bad. In terms of disk/pad upgrades What discs can be used with the CP6600 calipers? i currently have the 2 piece god speed discs and not much life left in them. Can you get PF discs to bolt to the godspeed bells? Something around a 355mm would be nice!

Godspeed Brakes 17 February 2014 02:47 PM

The PF discs won't fit our bells , but you can have new bells made and fit any make disc then