ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Drawing large sums of money from bank (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/997303-drawing-large-sums-of-money-from-bank.html)

skoobidude 13 February 2014 01:32 PM

Drawing large sums of money from bank

I've read several reports on banks now questioning customers if requests for substantional amounts of cash withdrawals are made.

Does anyone know what the limit of cash request is before a customer is questioned?

I kind of get it from both sides but as a customer I would just want my money and not necessarily want to share reasons behind the request to the cashier.. Most people are private after all

So I guess a most common answer would be 'I want the money to gamble with'..
Are there any other standard answers which could be used?

Otherwise the other method would be to use a cashpoint and take out £250 a day until the required amount is reached.

Nick

Xx-IAN-xX 13 February 2014 01:38 PM

I'm sending my money to my Nigerian solicitor.

Dr Hu 13 February 2014 01:45 PM

Yes - there was a right hoohah about it last week on R4's MoneyBox program.....

mainly HSBC.... just tell them beer & hookers;)

edited to add: I think the main gist of it was that they are trying to encourage other 'safer' forms of payment - eg Bank Transfer, BAC's for large sums.
(not straight in a builders back skyrocket ;))

daveyj 13 February 2014 01:52 PM

I doubt I'll ever be in a position to worry about that. Nice pub chat info though.

pimmo2000 13 February 2014 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by daveyj (Post 11352589)
I doubt I'll ever be in a position to worry about that. Nice pub chat info though.

I've bought plenty of cars in cash ..

LSherratt 13 February 2014 02:30 PM

Just tell them you're buying a car but you need to ring them to give them a heads up. That's what I did and no issues.

Donnie Brasco 46 13 February 2014 02:45 PM

I find that if you go in wearing a balaclava and holding a sawn off they don't seem to ask too many questions!!

Being serious just give em 24 hrs notice and you can take out what you like.

weirdfish 13 February 2014 03:22 PM

The magic number seems to be 10K, ( lloyds bank ), paying in or withdrawing.

classic Subaru Si 13 February 2014 03:47 PM

Yep, I've had it whilst paying IN to the bank too. Sold the cossie and went to the bank to pay in 10 grand.

Rae 13 February 2014 04:11 PM

when i bourght my blob sti had to draw £2500 each day then rest out cash point = £5250 that was from the halifax . otherwise they wanted notice and i needed money asap .

JDM_333 13 February 2014 04:22 PM

HSBC are horrendous at this, you ask for a sum of money to say buy a car they repeatedly shout has anyone got xxx wad of cash to make up this gentleman's withdrawal (whilst a big queue forms behind you planning how they are going to mug you on the way out) then the systems go down and they have to try another terminal then they have to reboot the system then they finally count out all your money infront of the whole queue then when you ask for an envelope they give you one with a see through window on the front, that's after confirming several times over how much you are withdrawing, how many notes and what its for.

Pure calamity that place.

selhurstscooby 13 February 2014 04:32 PM

Its all to do with money laundering, Banks have an obligation today to ask their customers the source of their funds / reason for withdrawal above a certain amount.
Tell them the truth and you will be fine!

ditchmyster 13 February 2014 04:36 PM

It's all about big brother and the cashless society. ;)

weirdfish 13 February 2014 04:52 PM

I suppose the next question is, why do people bother having their money in banks any more, certainly not worth it for savings accounts.
I only keep enough in a current account to cover any bills etc.

Leslie 13 February 2014 05:05 PM

They have no right to question a withdrawal as long as it is fully covered by the account!

Les

cster 13 February 2014 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 11352742)
They have no right to question a withdrawal as long as it is fully covered by the account!

Les

Maybe back in the day Les.
But not any more.

Matteeboy 13 February 2014 06:40 PM

I paid for the car and camper on an HSBC debit card. No issues at all.
Nor with drawing out a fair wad of cash.

bustaMOVEs 13 February 2014 06:55 PM

I belive anything over £5k and then they have the right to ask, feck knows why as I never see them logging it down anywhere.
Just give/take the cash and done, but yes most banks like notice of this too to top up their flow.

mart360 13 February 2014 07:18 PM

I had the same today,

Mind you i had no id on me other than my debit card,

As none of the staff recognised me (lol) they had to do a questions and answer session to verify the account ...

one it was done, the cashier approached and very apologetically asked what was the money for ...

I told him it was for a car purchase,

As he was counting the cash, i told him i was contemplating saying "coke & hookers"

He saw the funny side, but mentioned some of his colleagues may not have done lol

Mart

craigybaby 13 February 2014 07:51 PM

I paid for my hawk in cash had to withdraw 3500 every day never asked me anything that was from Halifax

billythekid 13 February 2014 09:05 PM

There was a story somewhere recently where a guy went into the bank (HSBC) and asked for some cash for a car and they asked which garage he was getting it from - told them - next minute they are on the garages website looking at the stock and asking which car it was.... :sleep:

I see the story in the mail about a guy who wanted £7k to pay his mum back for a loan and they refused to pay out the cash unless he had a note from his mum!!! :freak3::freak3::freak3:

ALi-B 13 February 2014 10:46 PM

Yep I withdrew 4 grand last month, well tried. Seems my credit and debit cards weren't enough ID. And the wanted to be told in advance so they could makes sure they have enough.

FFS ITS 4k Not 400k !

Anyhoo I come back with my passport and I was given 4k in tenners as they didn't have enough twenties, all unbounded and shoved in a envelope :mad: And they still wanted my debit card and for me to enter my PIN ... Passport not enough? :facepalm:

cster 14 February 2014 12:32 AM

So if you want to use the profits from your (cash only/ no Amex) illicit drugs business to sponsor the PLO or your local Dave Spart type insurrectionist, which is the best bank to use?

pimmo2000 14 February 2014 07:37 AM

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...draw-HSBC.html

What if I go in and shut down my account. Can they refuse?

David_Dickson 14 February 2014 09:29 AM

Tell them you are withdrawing it so your mistress can have a private abortion.
Its not unfeasible and should make them nice and uncomfortable.

Lydia72 14 February 2014 09:52 AM

It used to be £10k before they started asking questions, a couple of years ago my account was frozen 'for security reasons' because £3k had gone in.

sti-04!! 14 February 2014 01:15 PM

Boils my blood this. :mad:

Dr Hu 14 February 2014 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11353315)
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...draw-HSBC.html

What if I go in and shut down my account. Can they refuse?

That was my thinking.... Can't have £4k of my own money...?.... I'll close my account then and take the lot....:freak:

RA Dunk 14 February 2014 10:53 PM

Pretty disgracefull you need to tell them what you are spending your money on before they will give you it.

cster 15 February 2014 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 11354087)
Pretty disgracefull you need to tell them what you are spending your money on before they will give you it.

You are not telling them, you are telling the government.
Why would a bank care what you do with your money?