ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Yahoo Mail account keeps getting hacked? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/996903-yahoo-mail-account-keeps-getting-hacked.html)

drb5 08 February 2014 09:40 PM

Yahoo Mail account keeps getting hacked?

That's been 4 times in the past couple of weeks our works email account has sent out spam. I know this, as I've had "Out of Hours" return emails back to the account. Each time I see this, I've changed the password on the account.

Is it possible it keeps getting hacked, or could it be replies from a virus that's been initially sent from our account?

I'm on Mac, so is there a decent virus check?

drb5 08 February 2014 09:58 PM

Just checked my bulk/junk mails on another account and it's def came from the works email.

Best bet to delete the account, or reinstall OSX?

mart360 09 February 2014 08:48 AM

Change email provider?

Mart

drb5 09 February 2014 04:57 PM

What provider is the next best and still secure?

riiidaa 09 February 2014 05:02 PM

look up email spoofing, it's not necessary to hack an account to do that

drb5 09 February 2014 05:19 PM

Interesting idea, though I haven't read anything to tell me exactly how to work out if it is spoofing, or even how to combat it...?

riiidaa 09 February 2014 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by drb5 (Post 11348675)
Interesting idea, though I haven't read anything to tell me exactly how to work out if it is spoofing, or even how to combat it...?

IF it is spoofed from elsewhere and not emanating from your computer there's bugger sh1t all you can do really.

IF you fear your yahoo acct got hacked change p/w AND any security questions

drb5 09 February 2014 07:29 PM

Fair enough and thanks for the info.

To save any further hassle, I think it's probably better to delete the account. If any problems arise after that, then it's an issue with the Mac.

Just to decide what provider...probably Outlook or Gmail I think.

Matteeboy 09 February 2014 07:40 PM

Yahoo has been getting right on my nerves recently. We pay for the slightly "better" service and it's just changed to a Google Mail style of stacking email strings; it's utter cr4p.

Alternatives anyone?

Littleted 10 February 2014 02:56 PM

always use Google myself, but as everything is slowly moving towards your Live ID, id strongly suggest Live.co.uk or outlook.com as your next stop. much easier then

drb5 10 February 2014 03:25 PM

What's Live ID then?

Graz 11 February 2014 09:52 AM

I have a Yahoo account but I don't use it however I got a message a few weeks back to my Gmail account saying they'd been some unusual activity on my account and that a device located in the Ukraine had logged onto it.

I ignored the links in the email and went onto Yahoo direct to change passwords, security questions, set up secondary verification (via SMS) etc. but as far as I could work out the email was legitimate.

Seems like Yahoo must get targeted quite a bit so worth having a strong password.

Ant 11 February 2014 10:58 AM

Personally never had a problem with either my gmail or .me account

Puff The Magic Wagon! 11 February 2014 11:29 AM

drb5

I can send you an email and tell the email that it's from your email address, so when it arrives it looks like you have sent yourself an email - that is spoofing and possibly what is happening here as the return email address is not the real sender, it is yours, hence why you get the Out Of Offices. Don't blame your computer!

JackClark 11 February 2014 12:11 PM

I'm going with Spoofing too. Best to just hold on tight, eventually it'll stop.

drb5 11 February 2014 03:15 PM

Thanks guys. I've since had SOME help from Yahoo and they are telling me they can't see anything to report of hacking on the account.

With that and your suggestions, I'm going to leave it just now and see what happens.

Thanks! :cool: