ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   cost of doing bike test now!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/996605-cost-of-doing-bike-test-now.html)

Rbon91 04 February 2014 09:32 PM

cost of doing bike test now!!

Looking at doing my bike test in spring fancy a CBR600rr... juat looked into it and it seems im going to be limited to 49bhp :(....

Im 22 been riding bikes for 12years. Off foad, enduro supermoto etc... the cost is alot as well looking about £700 to do it...

anyine help me out with the facts on this??

Thanks Ryan

reedy107 04 February 2014 09:36 PM

£700 fook me !!!!!

At what age can u just jump on anything ??

JDM_Stig 04 February 2014 09:37 PM

inc CBT it is around a grand on average,
as you want to ride a 600 you will want CBT, Module 1 and 2,
No getting out of it if you have passed your test when god had teeth etc.

Rbon91 04 February 2014 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11344528)
inc CBT it is around a grand on average,
as you want to ride a 600 you will want CBT, Module 1 and 2,
No getting out of it if you have passed your test when god had teeth etc.

Yep looking that way but looks like im restricted to 49bhp until im 24!!!

Fudgey 04 February 2014 09:44 PM

Have the laws changed a bit then. In dec 2006 i took the direct access course at age 24. Cost £550 iirc and i could ride anything.

I got a yamaha thndercat 600 as my first big bike. It ended abruptly in july 2007 when a woman turned right into a no right turn junction and took me out!

Not ridden a bike on the road since lol

Rbon91 04 February 2014 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fudgey (Post 11344538)
Have the laws changed a bit then. In dec 2006 i took the direct access course at age 24. Cost £550 iirc and i could ride anything.

I got a yamaha thndercat 600 as my first big bike. It ended abruptly in july 2007 when a woman turned right into a no right turn junction and took me out!

Not ridden a bike on the road since lol

Yep laws changed January 19th 2013...

swaynie 04 February 2014 09:50 PM

I paid £521 all in :thumb: It all depends on your confidence riding as most school will try to make you do full day lessons which you don't really need. I did 2 hour mod 1 training and 3 hour before my mod 2 test so I had all the roads and habits drilled into me.

swaynie 04 February 2014 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rbon91 (Post 11344546)
Yep laws changed January 19th 2013...

Over 24 the new laws don't apply to you :thumb:

Rbon91 04 February 2014 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by swaynie (Post 11344552)
Over 24 the new laws don't apply to you :thumb:

Im 22 pal :(!!! 2 years to wait before I will be able to drive anything

ryan

swaynie 04 February 2014 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rbon91 (Post 11344515)
Looking at doing my bike test in spring fancy a CBR600rr... juat looked into it and it seems im going to be limited to 49bhp :(....

Im 22 been riding bikes for 12years. Off foad, enduro supermoto etc... the cost is alot as well looking about £700 to do it...

anyine help me out with the facts on this??

Thanks Ryan

I would avoid doing the A2 licence as you are restricted for 2 years then to get your A licence you have to do your mod 1 and 2 again double the expense. You would e better off getting a 125 2 stroke bike like a aprilia or cagiva and derestricting them to 33hp with your L plates on then at 24 go for a big boy licence.

328isport 04 February 2014 09:55 PM

Yep you've got to budget a grand really, though that's been the case for a fairly long time now, hopefully you'll end up with a bit of change! I thought at 22 you'd of been able to get on anything you want, so surprised about that, maybe it's changed in the last few years.

I'm guessing all your riding so far has been done off road? If so, I'd give it some thought as to whether you really want to do it, the way the roads are now and the amount of traffic makes it hard to really enjoy riding, If I ever went back to bikes I wouldn't ride on the road again, I'd stick to track days or get a trials bike.

But of course if it's in your heart then go for it, CBR600rr's are meant to be one hell of a bike, Repsol or HRC colours FTW :-)

Rbon91 04 February 2014 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by swaynie (Post 11344560)
I would avoid doing the A2 licence as you are restricted for 2 years then to get your A licence you have to do your mod 1 and 2 again double the expense. You would e better off getting a 125 2 stroke bike like a aprilia or cagiva and derestricting them to 33hp with your L plates on then at 24 go for a big boy licence.

Might just wait 125cc to slow for me lol...

markb5888 04 February 2014 09:57 PM

i done same as fudgey done my cbt on the sunday. days training monday. and half a days training tuesday on a cb500, with main test on tuesday afternoon. passed. a whooo can ride what i want. had a ninja. then an r6..

go for it mate never regret it best thing i ever done. amazing feeling jumping on a bike on summers day.

sorry to here about you accident fudgey. but shame you wont get on a bike again. hopefully one day you can :-)

swaynie 04 February 2014 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 328isport (Post 11344562)
Yep you've got to budget a grand really, though that's been the case for a fairly long time now, hopefully you'll end up with a bit of change! I thought at 22 you'd of been able to get on anything you want, so surprised about that, maybe it's changed in the last few years.

I'm guessing all your riding so far has been done off road? If so, I'd give it some thought as to whether you really want to do it, the way the roads are now and the amount of traffic makes it hard to really enjoy riding, If I ever went back to bikes I wouldn't ride on the road again, I'd stick to track days or get a trials bike.

But of course if it's in your heart then go for it, CBR600rr's are meant to be one hell of a bike, Repsol or HRC colours FTW :-)

Nah the 600rr is a little wet and not that fun compared to a nice Kwak 636 ;)

heres my baby

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps38be9ffa.jpg

328isport 04 February 2014 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rbon91 (Post 11344565)
Might just wait 125cc to slow for me lol...

lol a properly sorted Aprilia RS125 might surprise you, even more so a good RS250, such light bikes and mega fun to ride, but do need a fair bit of fettling to keep them performing 100% and two strokes don't appeal to everyone!

Nice Ninja Swaynie!

Rbon91 04 February 2014 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 328isport (Post 11344585)
lol a properly sorted Aprilia RS125 might surprise you, even more so a good RS250, such light bikes and mega fun to ride, but do need a fair bit of fettling to keep them performing 100% and two strokes don't appeal to everyone!

Nice Ninja Swaynie!

Love the ninjas... still undecided on what bike to go for!! Need to sort out test first. Just sold my YAMAHA RAPTOR 660R road legal quad.. that was fun!!

jazzyjembreaze 04 February 2014 10:20 PM

Wow !!!
The price of fun this day & age
That's made me feel a whole lot better been old ha ha
Past my test in 86 , for not much more than a cup of coffee & 20 Regal kings :)

.... Wish you all well / & a safe ride

Worlasshasansti 04 February 2014 10:36 PM

My advice is the same as always when people ask about doing bike test etc, go and speak to a local riding instructor, it's the biggest step instead of sitting thinking about it.

Most of them tend to be great down to earth blokes who will be happy to help/advise you.

Oh and look at it this way it may cost you a fair few quid to do you're lessons/test but when you consider a great supersport 600 is well under 3k and insurance (well after the first year) is next to nothing, tax is around £60 a year, mot is £15 a year and they cost next to nowt to run fuel wise you'll soon get some cash back.

As with most who have posted above I did mine about 5 years ago after putting it off for about 4 years, iirc it was about £600 all in but its a bit more involving now than when I went in for my test, best thing I've ever done after being obsessed with bikes since being a nipper.

Mick

Fudgey 04 February 2014 10:41 PM

Its not that i wont ride again, just not had the chance really lol. The wife was 6 months pregnant when it happened so kind of puts things into perspective.
Now got 2 kids so things are a bit different lol.

But, it didnt take long before i was doing silly ****, going for overtakes when the space wasnt really there etc. had a few moments i tell you!
A 600 feels like the fastest thing in the world but you soon get used to it and realise actually, its not that fast and you end up in dangerous situations.

My crash tho, i was on the oncoming side of the road passing a long line of slow/stationary cars when a woman decided she didnt want to que any more so turned right into a no right turn junction.
I was doing about 45mph, my skid mark was about 1m long as she was about 3 car lengths in front so i had no time.
Somehow i didnt break any bones, just face planted into the side of a passat estate. Very bruised legs and very sore balls followed with an evening in hospital...

She got 3 points and £90 fine for due care and attention after admitting to myself and the police that not only did she not indicate, she did not check her blind spot because she didnt even look!

Cops said not enough evidence for carless!

Anyway, as it was

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/100_2341.jpg

And after

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/000_0006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/000_0005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/000_0008.jpg

You can see my skidmark, and the oil from the bike...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...000_0012-1.jpg

The yellow triumph in the pic, that had slight fairing damage. Sadly the rider of that one didnt make it

Its all to easy to die on a bike these days with everyone being so impatient. I nearly got taken out on roundabouts several times, especially at night.

But dont let that put you off lol

Worlasshasansti 04 February 2014 10:52 PM

Blimey!

Sounds like you were lucky there fella!

I don't really commute on my ninja unless I need to as its usually people in cars who simply don't pay enough attention to bikes, it's easily done and understandable if you don't ride yourself I suppose although that's no excuse for not paying full attention while driving!

I find that I get bored of my 600 quite often and then think about buying a 1000 superbike but when I sit and think about it, any pr*ck can nail a fast bike or car in a straight line but I know fine well that I can't ride my 600 anywhere near it full potential so I hang on abit longer, had it 2 years now and I love it but he'll or high water I'm buying a triumph street triple 675 this year :cool:

markb5888 04 February 2014 10:59 PM

good to hear you wasnt to badly hurt fudgey. but agree with what you saying. i have 2 kids now. it defo slowed me down now... im very lucky and have not had an off yet. but i know people in cars do not seemed to look for bikes.. so have to be very carefull. that being said. as other have said bikes are cheap to run and insure ect... and performance is out of this world. never came up against any car that could keep with me. (up to 70mph of course)

LVC 04 February 2014 11:08 PM

Crikey how things have changed - did mine 25 years ago - 2 lessons and I think the test was about £30.

Ride safe and always ride within your limits ;)

Fudgey 04 February 2014 11:16 PM

Cheers lads

I bought it solely to commute. I lived in swindon and worked in bath. Would take an hour plus by car to do the 35miles each way. I think the best time i done it on the bike was something stupid like 24 mins!

On a couple of occasions i found myself asking what the fcuk am i thinking... One instance was doing circa 120 on the white line between middle and outside lane of the motorway inbetween the lines of traffic as the cars were just hogging the lanes. That was VERY foolish of me to do and when i got home sat down and thought about the what if's.... Didnt do that one again!

I did get fed up of getting pissed on with rain tho, that was not so much fun!

As for speed. I done a couple of audi rs6's off the lights upto about 130 then they were quicker. I think i saw 165 on the speedo a couple of times. Once was on a totally clear m4 with no traffice around. The wombles had done a rolling roadblock to stop the traffic to clear some debris off the carrageway... I was at the front, they thanked us for stopping and i promptly took the opportunity and ****ed off lol...

Ah the memories. But my biggest memory was swolen and sore balls :cry:

Im older now and slightly wiser. If i did get nother bike id get and enduro or something as id only hurt myself on another sports bike i reckon. Say that, if i got an enduro id probably just wheelie it everywhere lol

stuart2008sti 05 February 2014 08:42 AM

Did mine a few months ago,all in with theory cbt mod 1 & 2 £750.

Paulo P 05 February 2014 09:40 AM

I did mine 18 months ago at the cost of about £700 and this is my first bike :)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...54DD994483.jpg

I did a write up on it in the bikers section about 18 months ago so have a search.

ditchmyster 05 February 2014 10:02 AM

Jesus I think mine was about £50 20 odd years ago.:lol1: Only tip i'd give is ride defensively, there's always some tw4t in a car waiting to take you out.:thumb:

Not sure if i'll ever have another bike on the road, but I really need to own a gixer or busa or maybe both.:cuckoo:

Rbon91 05 February 2014 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Paulo P (Post 11344833)
I did mine 18 months ago at the cost of about £700 and this is my first bike :)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...54DD994483.jpg

I did a write up on it in the bikers section about 18 months ago so have a search.

Stunning bike pal!! That the 600cc??

Ryan

Paulo P 05 February 2014 03:36 PM

It's the 750, maybe I should have started out with the 600 but I went straight to the 750 instead :D

DieHardDonkey 05 February 2014 04:47 PM

Before you know it mate they will make the test so hard and expensive no one will be able to afford it and thats exactly what they want. I passed my test 10 years ago and i have seen it get harder and harder every year. Itl be a sad sad day when they finally ban bikes on the road all together and i hope i dont live to see that day.

Fudgey 05 February 2014 06:08 PM

Exactly that! If motorbikes were invented today they would be illegal!