ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Warning Toyo TR1 perishing (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/996492-warning-toyo-tr1-perishing.html)

dave_t 03 February 2014 01:03 PM

Warning Toyo TR1 perishing

I have been using Toyo TR1's for the last three years, any other Toyo's before that on other cars.

The rear tyres although having half tread left have perished badly.
This seems to be a common problem with this tyre, so if you are running them keep an eye on the condition (not just the tread).

The tyre was cracking between the read blocks.

I replaced the fronts due to wear a few months back with new Toyo's, then i spotted the problem with the rears. Being a bugger for keeping matching sets I replaced the rears with Toyos as well. The rear tyres were returned to Toyo for inspection, who after 6 weeks or so did offer me 50% off a new pair without argument.

So I have now have new Toyo's all round, plus a letter for 50% off my next pair. Sadly I wish i had none fitted...

There are at least 3 other people on this site that have encountered the same problem.

Dave

jura11 03 February 2014 02:09 PM

Hi Dave

At first T1R are not good on New age and I wouldn't recommend them on heavy new age,if car is not used,then tyres will perish,on some this will never happen,but on some tyres is this more common

T1R are great tyres on classic or on lighter cars,but I wouldn't risk them to put on heavier cars,if yes then you will need to play with the tyre pressure,this can helps,but still I wouldn't choose them

If you have previous experience with this issue I would try contact Toyo UK or their distributor over here,if he can help you with yours query

Jura

Bodsbug 25 May 2014 02:24 AM

I've fitted two Toyo Proxes T1R on the front of my Bugeye last month,I'll keep an eye on them now!!..

martinnitram 04 June 2014 09:30 PM

My classic came with a set of T1R's when i got it, not sure how old they were, but had about 2-3mm left on them, so guessing 3 - 4 years old and were fine, (just worn) i have replaced them with a set of new T1R's so ill keep a look out.

bustaMOVEs 04 June 2014 10:04 PM

Most summer tyres will crack overtime if left on too long with minus temperatures we get.

ALi-B 05 June 2014 08:23 AM

What is the date stamp on the tyres?

Its four digits stamped in a oval. First two are week number, second two are the year.
Tyres over 3yrs will start to persish if left outside and used on salted road in winter.

You'll also be lucky to get that out of a set of Pirellis or the randomly named Chinese/Indionesian/Korean junk. Even if they don't crack, the rubber has hardened so wet grip is deteriorated.

F11 SYS 05 June 2014 02:13 PM

Ive been running t1r tyres on my r32 gtr for 7 years now. 2nd set on now as dont cover much milage at all. Ive had no issues like this what so ever. Theyre a great tyre. My car is dry stored most of the time and only sees about 1000miles a year. Must have been a dodgey batch you had dude.

fpan 05 June 2014 02:26 PM

I was never impressed with them, too soft sidewalls like bubblegum. No steering feel whatsoever and if you try driving enthusiastically the sidewalls will melt.

ALi-B 05 June 2014 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by F11 SYS (Post 11443682)
Ive been running t1r tyres on my r32 gtr for 7 years now. 2nd set on now as dont cover much milage at all. Ive had no issues like this what so ever. Theyre a great tyre. My car is dry stored most of the time and only sees about 1000miles a year. Must have been a dodgey batch you had dude.

That's the key...garaged. Out of the sun (UV), and not driven on winter (salty) roads; I've got some 1980's vintage Pirelli C5 Cinturado that are still fine, because they are kept in a cool dark dry garage.

Rubber is a natural material, like with skin sun and salt will cause damage over time. Actually anything hydroscopic (like salt) will cause harm...which is why Ethanol is a problem with rubber fuel lines without the right barrier membrane.

F11 SYS 05 June 2014 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11443695)
That's the key...garaged. Out of the sun (UV), and not driven on winter (salty) roads; I've got some 1980's vintage Pirelli C5 Cinturado that are still fine, because they are kept in a cool dark dry garage.

Rubber is a natural material, like with skin sun and salt will cause damage over time. Actually anything hydroscopic (like salt) will cause harm...which is why Ethanol is a problem with rubber fuel lines without the right barrier membrane.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: