ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Is this car really 400bhp? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/996139-is-this-car-really-400bhp.html)

Matt Sargent 30 January 2014 11:35 AM

Is this car really 400bhp?

http://bit.ly/1bAKwFU

Don't know why but I'm just suspicious, just doesn't seem right , what questions should I be asking ? , I think the fact it isn't very detailed is making question it and if it is 400bhp why hasn't he took a picture of the print out ?

What do you gurus think?

banny sti 30 January 2014 11:37 AM

No mention of turbo, intercooler, injectors or ecu so really doubt its 400bhp

Matt Sargent 30 January 2014 11:39 AM

I think e might hit the 4 instead of 3 ! HAha

TheWaterboy 30 January 2014 11:40 AM

Why don't you ask the seller as they are they only one who will know. Unless the owner is on this site of course!

Matt Sargent 30 January 2014 11:43 AM

Ie posted it here for 2 reasons 1 I don't know what exactly to ask, because we all know people lie and I've owned a Subaru YET and I don't want to be "seen coming" and 2 hopefully maybe someone on here does know the car

So if I can go armed with a list of questions of he can't answer I won't go near

Cheers , Matt

Matt Sargent 30 January 2014 11:43 AM

Not owned"

TheWaterboy 30 January 2014 11:48 AM

Before you start anything why don't you just ask him for a picture of the dyno report and pictures of the car on the dyno if he has any. If he hasn't got the paperwork to prove which judging by the pics of the advert, he should have then just walk away. The general tone of the advert sounds like he doesn't actually know much about the car!

banny sti 30 January 2014 11:49 AM

Also not quite sure what a "stage 1 rally gear box" is all about either

Matt Sargent 30 January 2014 11:51 AM

Yeah mate just messaged him for that , waiting reply, but it's not something that's to hard to fake, just see how it goes , if it was local It wouldn't be an issue as there is a dyno 5 mins from me

Matt Sargent 30 January 2014 11:51 AM

Yeah same! That's what really sparked consern it's so vague

scooby87 30 January 2014 11:52 AM

Looking at that advert leave it alone, anyone with 400bhp with be raving about how they have it and would picture the dyno graph for you to see.

There are also no engine bay pictures which could show mods and it has tiny standard brakes and I can't see a FMIC.

The mods listed are hard to prove unless he has a receipt which probably means they are just lies.....I suspect it has a exhaust, turbo timer and some cone filter.... oh joy...

SH!T advert too.

:D

TheWaterboy 30 January 2014 11:55 AM

Just look at the sellers history, has sold several cars so by the looks of it he is a bit of a dealer type, hence not knowing anything about the car and using words like custom, one off, special motor!

Matt Sargent 30 January 2014 11:55 AM

Cheers guys, think I will give it a miss, not gunna I saw 400bhp and was like a child in a sweet shop, but what I think I really want is a nice clean subaru one that has been looked after and not fussed with to much you know something I can build not buy, need to stop being lazy ! Haha

banny sti 30 January 2014 11:57 AM

In that case buy one from here, at least you will know what you're buying :)

ditchmyster 30 January 2014 11:59 AM

It's got an uprated clutch paddle and lexarse lights.:thumb:

All things that can be sorted but i'd want to know what turbo, injectors, fuel pump, who mapped it and who looks after it and does the work.

alcazar 30 January 2014 12:36 PM

Why do folk assume that every uprated Scoob should have been on a dyno?
Mine hasn't, and never will while it's in my ownership.

In the end, I'm not interested in numbers....mine is rated at over 400/400 by the great Bob Rawle who mapped it. Personally, I have no interest in the numbers...just that it's solid and drives a treat.

And I agree with the OP. I would be very suspicious of someone selling a modded car without all the details...which I could provide for mine, other than dyno graph.

BrownPantsRacing 30 January 2014 01:16 PM

Holy mother of God! Where do these people come from!!!!

Stage 1 rally gearbox!!!!!! hahahahaha

BrownPantsRacing 30 January 2014 01:22 PM

Emailed seller.

CREWJ 30 January 2014 07:44 PM

Well I wouldn't touch that one with a barge pole!

tubbytommy 30 January 2014 07:46 PM

usual ebay bullsh1t, no fmic,4 pot brakes and lexarse lights............enough said i doubt its anyhwere near 300 bhp.

mickywrx 30 January 2014 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by scooby87 (Post 11338745)
There are also no engine bay pictures which could show mods and it has tiny standard brakes and I can't see a FMIC.

It hasn't got standard brakes, standard brakes on that car are 2 pot fronts.... :p

Agree with the rest though, stay well clear of it.

CREWJ 30 January 2014 08:06 PM

I'd be surprised if it has 250bhp.

JDM_333 30 January 2014 08:09 PM

Don't know about the car but looks like that sofa has seen a lot of action

Gear Head 30 January 2014 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11338816)
Holy mother of God! Where do these people come from!!!!

Stage 1 rally gearbox!!!!!! hahahahaha

With quick shift too!
The seller clearly has no idea.

BrownPantsRacing 30 January 2014 09:27 PM

I have had some "communication" with the seller:

Dear kenapex65,

Hi,

Do you have any other evidence to support the 400bhp claim please? Rolling road graph, list of engine mods, receipts for engine build etc? Would be very interested.

Also, what is a "stage 1 rally gearbox"? I have never heard of this before in all my years so would be interested to see where you purchased this and what it was.

Thanks in advance.

- brownpantsracing

I then got a lovely reply:

Dear brownpantsracing,

CAR HAS BEEN TESTED pop down and see , all paperwork and more is in my pics remember ime selling my car reluctantly and not giving out advice on where to purchase parts have all paperwork to support orv you can have it tested yourself if you wish? TA BRAD

- kenapex65

So I further replied:

Dear kenapex65,

Hi,

Sorry but I think you misunderstood my questions slightly. I'm not asking for details so I can buy parts, I have no wish to buy only parts, I'm asking for details on the car you are selling which include the parts you state are included. Without this information I will not even contemplate coming to visit the vehicle to have a look.

Some of your advert is not clear which is why I have asked for clarification.

Many thanks

- brownpantsracing

I am awaiting a reply.

What a tool. Don't care if he works for Caterham, that's just rude!

TheWaterboy 31 January 2014 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11339454)
I have had some "communication" with the seller:

Dear kenapex65,

Hi,

Do you have any other evidence to support the 400bhp claim please? Rolling road graph, list of engine mods, receipts for engine build etc? Would be very interested.

Also, what is a "stage 1 rally gearbox"? I have never heard of this before in all my years so would be interested to see where you purchased this and what it was.

Thanks in advance.

- brownpantsracing

I then got a lovely reply:

Dear brownpantsracing,

CAR HAS BEEN TESTED pop down and see , all paperwork and more is in my pics remember ime selling my car reluctantly and not giving out advice on where to purchase parts have all paperwork to support orv you can have it tested yourself if you wish? TA BRAD

- kenapex65

So I further replied:

Dear kenapex65,

Hi,

Sorry but I think you misunderstood my questions slightly. I'm not asking for details so I can buy parts, I have no wish to buy only parts, I'm asking for details on the car you are selling which include the parts you state are included. Without this information I will not even contemplate coming to visit the vehicle to have a look.

Some of your advert is not clear which is why I have asked for clarification.

Many thanks

- brownpantsracing

I am awaiting a reply.

What a tool. Don't care if he works for Caterham, that's just rude!

How eloquently put, this BRAD (must like shouting) seems a genuine guy and a fountain of knowledge when it comes to the dark arts of Subaru tuning! One can only assume by his finely crafted response he is a super nice chap, has excellent people skills and dearly loves his stage 1 rally gearbox Impreza! Based on this evidence I can only assume this is a fantastic opportunity into the world of Impreza Classic motoring and so I am off to make as massive bid, fingers crossed :cuckoo:

tubbytommy 31 January 2014 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheWaterboy (Post 11339821)
How eloquently put, this BRAD (must like shouting) seems a genuine guy and a fountain of knowledge when it comes to the dark arts of Subaru tuning! One can only assume by his finely crafted response he is a super nice chap, has excellent people skills and dearly loves his stage 1 rally gearbox Impreza! Based on this evidence I can only assume this is a fantastic opportunity into the world of Impreza Classic motoring and so I am off to make as massive bid, fingers crossed :cuckoo:

Really sounds an utter cnut to me.
The new generation of impreza owner.

JDM_333 31 January 2014 12:27 PM

lol nothing like a good attitude to selling your car to a potentially interested buyer.

Hope he's not "client" facing at Caterham, maybe he means he works at the Burger van that parks on the same industrial estate as Caterham.

BrownPantsRacing 31 January 2014 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_333 (Post 11339836)
lol nothing like a good attitude to selling your car to a potentially interested buyer.

Hope he's not "client" facing at Caterham, maybe he means he works at the Burger van that parks on the same industrial estate as Caterham.

LOL. Thats more like it!

Well he hasn't replied back to me again yet.

If he has a rolling road graph (which he says he does) why doesn't he show it in the pics or send me a copy as I asked so nicely?? Odd guy.

SwissTony 31 January 2014 12:55 PM

asked him some questions, photos of the engine bay, list of supporting mods etc

lets see if he comes back. Friday and bored :)