ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Boys Toys Ltd (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/995261-boys-toys-ltd.html)

mistermexican 19 January 2014 10:59 PM

Boys Toys Ltd

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has bought anything from Boys Toys Ltd?
And wondering if they're decent?

Cheers for the help.

Richard

TCWells 20 January 2014 02:06 AM

I think they used to trade under a different name, Paul *Something* Cars IIRC... Used to see loads of their stuff on Pistonheads then they vanished, but all the photos seem to be taken infront of the same fence.

If i'm right and it is the same company, i heard very good things. They import directly and they have a great stock.

If i'm wrong, all this information is pointless and i just wasted your time :thumb:

sean999 20 January 2014 09:54 AM

i seem to recall such a company, and I think they were London based. I used to be into American cars 20 yrs ago and they stocked mainly yanks then. I recall seeing adverts in classic American mags.

nothing to say someone else has started a firm up with same / similar name.

if they are established then you might find them listed on "companies house" which is a list of all uk registered companies.

marco58 20 January 2014 05:16 PM

I think you will find they where called paul or david brown cars,i went to look at a yellow evo they had,its right at the bottom of a dead end road behind locked gates with not very happy looking people behind them lol I did not bother in the end all looked very dodgy to me sure its in high Wycombe did a search on them when I got home and found some bad reports.Looking at the pics now,and some of the cars look familiar.

deanb1980 20 January 2014 05:40 PM

i was advised to stay away by people on here and i took there advice and the same car i wanted is still for sale now 4 weeks later now thats a long time especially one thats quite a reasonable price

dazsti72 20 January 2014 07:10 PM

I have heard bad things on here about them.
the fella thinks hes Ali g..:cuckoo:

Paben 21 January 2014 07:52 AM

The daft name of the company would put me off, perhaps they think their potential customers are halfwits

mistermexican 21 January 2014 06:16 PM

Cheers for the info. Will steer clear.

Scrappy9 21 January 2014 06:30 PM

Difficult one am sure ten years ago there was a boyz toys/toyz in Leicester, so who knows.

A lot of companies use trading names which as far as I remember aren't registered anywhere which isn't illegal but makes life complicated.

if you like the car/price have a look keep ur eyes open and complete your normal checks, you might get a great car.

Thermalp4 25 January 2014 09:16 AM

I went to look at a New Age STi before I bought my current one.

The garage was called Paul Brown Cars.

I drove down the lane as some have already said and round the back is a massive industrial hanger type building and it looks the police lock up from fast and furious. A lot of rare jap cars. Looked impressive.

Thing that put me off was they have 2 body shops attached to the building which is ok I suppose but the guys just looked dodgy and nobody came over to ask me if I wanted any help despite me booking an appointment.

The whole vibe of the place was wrong. It just cried out cut n shut.

Could be totally legit but I see the same cars for sale on the site day after day at really good prices and you would think they would be sold by now.

MattyB1983 25 January 2014 09:58 AM

Just google 'paul brown cars', there's some interesting reading about them.

Moley 11 February 2014 01:58 PM

Got as far as ringing them about a car they have.... won't be going to see it for sure.

mshill 12 February 2014 12:07 AM

They look very similar to previous companies that used to advertise on pistonheads, such as paul browns. personally I would avoid!

Ring them and ask to speak to clint eastwood. lol

Matt_STi 14 February 2014 11:21 AM

Without using them and wanting to put you off, from the reviews i've read - i would stay well clear from them. I thought they would be the perfect place to get my subaru from, but after a bit of investigation they just seemed really dodgy!

I think the thing that topped it off what about a 40 page forum on a supra owners club where "paul brown/bad boy" were a member. The forum questioned him about his method of selling and lots of information about the company, but he couldnt answer honestly.

For peace of mind, personally I wouldnt bother or pay for a mechanic you know and trust to give the car a full check.

Crow555 05 March 2014 10:13 AM

Funny, I was going to ask the exact same question myself. I will be in the market for a Blobeye STI in the summer and they have lots of ads on Pistonheads. In all honesty, the silly name puts me off. Is there any other dealers that would be recommended? I live in NI so will more than likely be travelling over the water to view cars and don't want to waste time and money seeing absolute dogs.

Cheers and apologies for digging up an old-ish thread, figured it was better than starting a new one.

mistermexican 05 March 2014 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Crow555 (Post 11370363)
Funny, I was going to ask the exact same question myself. I will be in the market for a Blobeye STI in the summer and they have lots of ads on Pistonheads. In all honesty, the silly name puts me off. Is there any other dealers that would be recommended? I live in NI so will more than likely be travelling over the water to view cars and don't want to waste time and money seeing absolute dogs.

Cheers and apologies for digging up an old-ish thread, figured it was better than starting a new one.

In my opinion I'd buy privately as you can aww the car in its true form and see how the owner has looked after it.

In a cream twist of fate I just bought a hawk from NI!

Crow555 05 March 2014 10:21 AM

Excellent, health to enjoy! I wouldn't have the funds for a hawk sadly and blobeyes over here don't come up very often. I guess I'll just keep an eye on the classifieds when I have all the money together.

Cheers.

mistermexican 05 March 2014 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Crow555 (Post 11370370)
Excellent, health to enjoy! I wouldn't have the funds for a hawk sadly and blobeyes over here don't come up very often. I guess I'll just keep an eye on the classifieds when I have all the money together.

Cheers.

The reason I think private is better is because I went to see two dealers. One assured me the car was amazing and wasn't and the other (whilst I believe to be decent) sold a car which I knew had had its front bumper replaced and didn't state this.

Moley 05 March 2014 10:27 AM

I'd recommend buying privately

However, if you want to use a dealer i've only ever heard good things about Hurst Cars

GH80 05 March 2014 10:49 AM

Keep looking in Northern Ireland for the blob. I am from NI, got a nice widetrack last month from Lisburn. I looked at another too, but it went to a dealer from England to sell on. You will pay less for a widetrack in NI, the reason that they are scarce is that people move them to England to sell at a greater premium. Try posting on scoobyireland also, one guy who was moving a blob to England to sell contacted me to see if I was interested in the car.

It's best to buy private imo, although Hurst Cars (Bedford) seem to have a great reputation. (Don't confuse them with the Hursts of Northern Ireland!)

Nath101 10 August 2014 07:14 PM

Boys toys ltd , more like Cowboys toys

Originally Posted by mistermexican (Post 11328847)
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has bought anything from Boys Toys Ltd?
And wondering if they're decent?

Cheers for the help.

Richard

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would give my experience with this company.

Hi, I just thought I would give my feedback on this company.

Pictures look great on the adverts on the internet, very thoroughly pictured cars. Now this is where it goes down hill.

Arriving at their show room (car yard) is disappointing...

When I arrived I met with the salesman. I had spoken with the guy 2 hours before I left to view the car. He showed me the vehicle, which turned out to be a totally different car. He told me to get over the fact it was not the right car and proceeded to give his spiel on it.

All of their stock look pretty battered. Flat tyres, body kits hanging off, rust on everything, they just looked as though they had no care or preparation for sale.

My brother asked the usual questions about clutch, cambelt and service history as I looked around the car. This is where he got defensive about having no receipts or service history for the last 28000 miles.

He also said if I didn't buy it he would raise the price by £2000 :cuckoo:

When I asked for a test drive he flatly refused and said that my brother didn't seem as though he wanted the car so he slammed the door and said he wouldn't sell it to me.

I couldn't understand this as it was me who wanted to buy the car and had the cash in hand. Then my brother stated clearly that it was me buying the car and not him to which the salesman started verbally abusing my brother and walking towards him aggressively, I had to jump in front of the salesman to stop him assaulting my brother. He then grabbed me by the throat and pushed me back.

My brother backed away and stood by my car, I then calmed the situation and explained that everything my brother said was reasonable, such as asking about receipts and history. The salesman was very defensive from the beginning of this whole cluster ****.

I ended up test driving the car, wasn't that impressed and went on my merry way.

A day later I found a gem with less mileage, service history, receipts and so on for £1000 cheaper than the other one I went to see.

All in all I would say steer the hell away from these cowboys who use old school bullying car salesman tricks in order to try and convince you to part with your cash.

They are unprofessional and aggressive towards customers, have no pride in the vehicles they are selling and will blatantly lie to close a deal.

I wish I had walked away when I pulled up and found out it was the wrong car I was viewing.

If you do buy a car from these guys I wonder what the aftersales care would be like, say if something was massively wrong with it, Im sure they would shout and scream at you until you left, maybe even assault you.

Carnut 10 August 2014 08:31 PM

When I read these types of threads I am not always to sure what to think, with this one I will be staying WELL clear.

Nath101 has your brother thought about going to the police, grabbing a customer by the throat is not acceptable, you never know they may have been reported on previous occasions and this time could of been their last chance.

chieftain333 10 August 2014 09:00 PM

What is it with these dealers!?...unbelievable

Matt_STi 11 August 2014 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nath101 (Post 11488095)
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would give my experience with this company.

Hi, I just thought I would give my feedback on this company.

Pictures look great on the adverts on the internet, very thoroughly pictured cars. Now this is where it goes down hill.

Arriving at their show room (car yard) is disappointing...

When I arrived I met with the salesman. I had spoken with the guy 2 hours before I left to view the car. He showed me the vehicle, which turned out to be a totally different car. He told me to get over the fact it was not the right car and proceeded to give his spiel on it.

All of their stock look pretty battered. Flat tyres, body kits hanging off, rust on everything, they just looked as though they had no care or preparation for sale.

My brother asked the usual questions about clutch, cambelt and service history as I looked around the car. This is where he got defensive about having no receipts or service history for the last 28000 miles.

He also said if I didn't buy it he would raise the price by £2000 :cuckoo:

When I asked for a test drive he flatly refused and said that my brother didn't seem as though he wanted the car so he slammed the door and said he wouldn't sell it to me.

I couldn't understand this as it was me who wanted to buy the car and had the cash in hand. Then my brother stated clearly that it was me buying the car and not him to which the salesman started verbally abusing my brother and walking towards him aggressively, I had to jump in front of the salesman to stop him assaulting my brother. He then grabbed me by the throat and pushed me back.

My brother backed away and stood by my car, I then calmed the situation and explained that everything my brother said was reasonable, such as asking about receipts and history. The salesman was very defensive from the beginning of this whole cluster ****.

I ended up test driving the car, wasn't that impressed and went on my merry way.

A day later I found a gem with less mileage, service history, receipts and so on for £1000 cheaper than the other one I went to see.

All in all I would say steer the hell away from these cowboys who use old school bullying car salesman tricks in order to try and convince you to part with your cash.

They are unprofessional and aggressive towards customers, have no pride in the vehicles they are selling and will blatantly lie to close a deal.

I wish I had walked away when I pulled up and found out it was the wrong car I was viewing.

If you do buy a car from these guys I wonder what the aftersales care would be like, say if something was massively wrong with it, Im sure they would shout and scream at you until you left, maybe even assault you.

Even if I hadn't heard awful reviews previously, reading this alone would make me stay well away from buying a car off them! I would however, go along just for the wind up.

urban 11 August 2014 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by GH80 (Post 11370386)
I am from NI, got a nice widetrack last month from Lisburn.

You buy my old car then - crystal grey STI?