ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Splitting a freeview signal? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/995219-splitting-a-freeview-signal.html)

paulr 19 January 2014 04:31 PM

Splitting a freeview signal?

Is it only an issue if you are watching 2 tv's at once?

markjmd 19 January 2014 04:46 PM

I'm guessing the picture on my second and third TVs must be a figment of my imagination then, as they're both receiving a split freeview signal.

corradoboy 19 January 2014 04:51 PM

I fitted my own aerial in the loft, and split the signal between the bedroom and living room with no issues. Did the lot for £30, and then laughed at my neighbour who got a company in and paid £450 for the same set-up :D

paulr 19 January 2014 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 11328380)
I fitted my own aerial in the loft, and split the signal between the bedroom and living room with no issues. Did the lot for £30, and then laughed at my neighbour who got a company in and paid £450 for the same set-up :D

Thats my plan. No loss in quality either when only one tv is on or both?

ALi-B 19 January 2014 05:17 PM

eh? If its DVB-T its exactly the same as splitting a terrestrial analogue signal.

Aerial --> Aerial amplifier/distributor --> TV sockets --> TVs

I've got a 8-way Invacom "loftbox" in the attic. Seems to do the job, it will multiplex DAB radio and analogue radio via the same cables and has satelite throughput via the "TV-out" on a sky box, so you can watch the same Sky channel in the other rooms (if needed). Although the latter feature is useless for anything other than a portable TV as it only can do analogue with mono audio.

Ant 19 January 2014 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 11328384)
Thats my plan. No loss in quality either when only one tv is on or both?

of course theres a loss , it doesn't split it in 2 you lose about roughly about 4dB insertion loss.

So if you're in a strong area you could get away with a splitter (don't buy the crap plastic white one) if that doesn't work buy a two way amplifier .

Oh and fit the splitter as close to the aerial as possible too as you'll be splitting the best possible signal not the worse at the end of the cable as you will have cable loss

Make sure your connections are good and theres not short (braiding touching the centre core)

paul98typer 21 January 2014 02:54 PM

Got a 4way amplifier for about £25 and have 3 TV's on together, perfect signal on all.

TheWaterboy 21 January 2014 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 11328363)
Is it only an issue if you are watching 2 tv's at once?

Are you referring to ghosting?

Ant 21 January 2014 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheWaterboy (Post 11330262)
Are you referring to ghosting?

ghosting doesn't exist anymore