ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Oil Modine Disaster (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/994734-oil-modine-disaster.html)

stockdalep 13 January 2014 05:01 PM

Oil Modine Disaster

HI

I tried to remove the oil modine from my engine to flush it out after a bottom end fail.

It began to undo then it just went loose not much pressure applied but as you can see from the pic a part of the casting has broken with it.

There is still plenty of thread left inside I can still screw the threaded pipe in but it is now just 5mm to short any ideas.

Thanks for any help.

http://www.central-express.net/bolt.jpg

scooby87 13 January 2014 05:09 PM

I think you're just going to need to replace it

FMJ 13 January 2014 05:13 PM

Ouch... I would personally buy a new modine rather then clean it out but thats beside the point.

Ummm if you are trying to do it ghetto you could use some sort of spacer to stop the theard going in so far so it sits at the original point. You would need to flatten the contact surface first tho. And use a good sealant. But this is a major bodge and I wouldn't recommend it as failure is dumped oil and dead engine. Not sure if more ali could be welded in and the thread recut?

Or new block halves.

stockdalep 13 January 2014 05:14 PM

I think its part of the block casting.

stockdalep 13 January 2014 05:17 PM

There is around another 4 to 5 cm of thread beyond the broken part but now if I put the threaded pipe through the modine it's just short of the rest of the good thread I can screw it in without the modine on.

The only thing I can think of is to get the treaded pipe made another centimeter longer.

MOTORS S GT 13 January 2014 06:18 PM

There are short & long threaded pipes for the modine, you may have the shorter version, & if you have bearing failure bin the modine, as you cannot clean them out, you will just pump bearing debris straight back into your new engine.

stockdalep 13 January 2014 06:27 PM

The pipe is 105 mm long

merlin24 13 January 2014 06:36 PM

Have it welded back onto the oil filter casting on the block half - I wouldnt chance fitting it back on as it is.

Mick

FMJ 13 January 2014 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by stockdalep (Post 11322596)
There is around another 4 to 5 cm of thread beyond the broken part but now if I put the threaded pipe through the modine it's just short of the rest of the good thread I can screw it in without the modine on.

The only thing I can think of is to get the treaded pipe made another centimeter longer.

Yeah forget what I said about a spacer then as too much thread is gone. As others have said either use a longer pipe if available, weld the old one in the correct place or new block. The only other thing I can think of is to have a custom pipe machined to fit to what's left.

stockdalep 13 January 2014 07:19 PM

I think I will try our local engineering company after all its only a 20 mm threaded pipe with a nut in the middle.If it was one centimeter longer it would tighten up no problem.

Thanks for every ones help and ideas

alcazar 13 January 2014 09:27 PM

And you will replace the modine...won't you?

PADDYHOEY 13 January 2014 11:52 PM

Some people are unbelievable.

FMJ 14 January 2014 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by PADDYHOEY (Post 11323155)
Some people are unbelievable.

Hmmm certainly not a great idea... Hell I am replacing the modine on my build even without any part failure. £180 is not much when rebuilding an engine. You do see second hand ones on ebay lol.

LewisScoob 14 January 2014 11:28 AM

I wouldnt reuse a modine. Especially after an engine failure...

stockdalep 14 January 2014 05:28 PM

No just bought a new one and found an engineering company that will cut and shut the pipe with the extra centimetre added for £ 60.00 not so bad.

scoobyJim2 14 January 2014 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT (Post 11322655)
There are short & long threaded pipes for the modine, you may have the shorter version, & if you have bearing failure bin the modine, as you cannot clean them out, you will just pump bearing debris straight back into your new engine.

As above,you will definitely need a new modine,cant clean it! If you already have the long one,then maybe research if any other vehicles use one the same but is longer

PADDYHOEY 14 January 2014 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by stockdalep (Post 11323760)
No just bought a new one and found an engineering company that will cut and shut the pipe with the extra centimetre added for £ 60.00 not so bad.

The block is bolloxed !!!!