ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Why are all nut and bolts etc on impreza's soooo rusty and tight! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/994663-why-are-all-nut-and-bolts-etc-on-imprezas-soooo-rusty-and-tight.html)

Fudgey 12 January 2014 07:30 PM

Why are all nut and bolts etc on impreza's soooo rusty and tight!

Taking the gearbox out the other week was a pain cos everything was tight as ****/rusted..

Yesterday i got another box and some sti brembos, which are attached to a pair of rusty hubs...

Now, i have so far managed to undo 1 of the 4 calliper screws, and snapped one 10mm allen key!

I have been soaking them in wd40 since yesterday too, which hasnt helped.

I think the fact they are not attached to anything isnt helping so ill take them to work tomoz and see if we have a windy gun handy!

Shonky old cars!

RS_Matt 12 January 2014 07:38 PM

ARB to chassis bolts. Lankester Merrin thought he had it hard!

Fudgey 12 January 2014 07:53 PM

Not tried those yet!

Fonzey 12 January 2014 08:06 PM

They're a nightmare man, terrifies me when undoing anything.

Work on my mates Clio a fair bit and most stuff is just hand tight anyway... Not sure what's worse :D

Fonzey 12 January 2014 08:07 PM

By far the worst I've found yet is that really long 19mm through the bottom of the rear hubs. Can't shift it for ****.

LDNSTi 12 January 2014 08:49 PM

I make sure that every bolt/nut I take off always goes back in with copper ease. Every time.

v6wrx 12 January 2014 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fonzey (Post 11321576)
By far the worst I've found yet is that really long 19mm through the bottom of the rear hubs. Can't shift it for ****.

I'm taking my struts off this week, not looking forward to these 19mm bolts, plenty of plus gas and the breaker bar hopefully they will come free.

JonMc 12 January 2014 09:20 PM

My struts weren't too bad - the hub to trailing arm bolts were different and only came off with an angle grinder. I don't use WD40, either GT85 or this stuff from halfords works quite well:thumb:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165594

and about half the price with a trade card:D

Fudgey 12 January 2014 09:23 PM

Well, ive just come in from another go and.. Both callipers are off and stripped :DD:

It just needed more brute force lol.

Ended up with the jack handle on the 10mm allen key agains the floor and two long 1/2inch extensions in the big hub hole, jack handle on the floor and levered with the extensions. **** me they were tight!

As you said boys, i have if i can find it a big pot of copper slip, also some other brake calliper grease that i think i know where that is lol, but its only a small tube...

Even getting the pad retaining pins out was a pain, one was very well in there! Also both pads on the inner sides of the callipers were in tight and needed tapping out! The outer sides just fell out...

Still, ill clean them up and grease everything before it goes back together...

Just need a couple of seals for the gearbox and hopefully i can get them this week, then refit the box and everything next weekend.

Anyone know where i can get the front diff/driveshaft oil seals and the selector oil seal from? Looks like they are weeping...

Unless i can salvage the ones from the broken box but i have started to stip that down so they may be no good!

Fudgey 12 January 2014 09:24 PM

I have many cans of gt85 too lol. Never worked out which is better tho!

JonMc 12 January 2014 09:25 PM

Give Alyn at AS Performance a bell for the seals:thumb:

Fudgey 12 January 2014 09:41 PM

Cheers bud, was looking on import car parts but couldnt find them!
I guess api will do them too thinking about it!

JonMc 12 January 2014 09:43 PM

ICP are great but don't stock everything, Alyn will get the bits you need:thumb:

Fudgey 12 January 2014 09:58 PM

Yeah, well they have the diff/shaft seals, but not the selector one. Unless i buy a full seal kit.

Cheers fella

alcazar 13 January 2014 08:45 AM

WD40 isn't a penetrating oil...the clue is in the name Water Dispersant....

Better with Plus gas.

ditchmyster 13 January 2014 09:05 AM

I don't even bother getting the spanners out for a couple of days before I do work on any car, first job is wire brush and penetrating oil, twice seems to do the trick for me, only get the odd stiff bolt and the breaker bars see to them usually.

Preparation is definitely the key with Impreza's.:thumb:

P.S. Tighter is always better.:norty:

APIDavid 13 January 2014 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fudgey (Post 11321487)
Taking the gearbox out the other week was a pain cos everything was tight as ****/rusted..

Yesterday i got another box and some sti brembos, which are attached to a pair of rusty hubs...

Now, i have so far managed to undo 1 of the 4 calliper screws, and snapped one 10mm allen key!

I have been soaking them in wd40 since yesterday too, which hasnt helped.

I think the fact they are not attached to anything isnt helping so ill take them to work tomoz and see if we have a windy gun handy!

Shonky old cars!

Fugey, I've mentioned this before. There is no lubricating quality in WD40 at all. WD stands for "water dispersant" If you want penetrating oil you ned 'Plus Gas' or similar.

You can leave it soaking for 100 years in WD40 it'll not make any useful contribution ........

Fudgey 13 January 2014 10:22 AM

Ha ok!!

DAvid, can you supply the selector seal on a TY754? and might as well get the diff seals too.

will call in a bit when i have 10 mins!

APIDavid 13 January 2014 10:30 AM

Don't think l've ever seen a knackered one, it is certainly not a seal that we order regularly. We do keep it though, not sure of a price separately as they are loose in our seals cupboard. l'll check, but we can mail it out from stock.

David

jameswrx 13 January 2014 06:54 PM

Funnily enough I've just done a clutch on an Impreza today and it was a nightmare due to rusty bolts/nuts. Just took forever due to everything being a pig to get off. I've never had so much grief and I've done a few.

Got to do rear shocks on it next and looking at the back end I'm gonna have fun there too.

Mind you, I looked at a 98 uk turbo on the ramps today and I've never seen so much rust on one. Both sills coming away and everything really rusty, all the bushes were totally perished too.

daz1968 13 January 2014 10:39 PM

The caliper bolts can be a pain due to aluminium and steel electrolytic reaction, once you remove them just put copper slip on them before refitting, but I can only say in over six years of impreza ownership I have never had a major problem with bolts, I have more than my share of problems with old fords though.

Fudgey 14 January 2014 07:47 AM

Lol i have had mostly ford's before the impreza and they are far easier to work on! yes some are rusty and ****e too, for but ease of access etc the ford wins hands down!