ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   electrical fault - indicators (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/994540-electrical-fault-indicators.html)

Stace11022 11 January 2014 06:17 PM

electrical fault - indicators

Hi all,
Ive just brought a bugeye and it has a strange fault,
When I use the alarm fob to open/lock the car the right set of indictors stay illuminated and even when the car is running ....?
But if I use the key to lock/unlock its fine ...?
The indicators work when the car is running and I can hear the relay ..
Any ideas Guys

Wyorksautoectrical 11 January 2014 11:59 PM

Hi mate, your problem is in the alarm unit, they have 2 relays, one for each side indicator. The problem is that the relay is sticking but the chances are you won't be able to get to points of the relay, that's if you can even get in the alarm box. What I would do is get to the alarm control box find the indicator wire which is going to it with a test light ( the side which is sticking on) disconnect that wire by the alarm box. The only thing your going to lose is when you arm/ disarm on when alarm goes off is just one side of your indicators.
All your indicators on the car will not be affected. Hope you can make sense of this.
One more thing normally you find that the indicator wires on a after market alarm will be either yellows or greens, or look for a pair the same colour. Just be careful not to cut of the cutoff circuit for the engine cut off circuit because these 2 wires can also be a pair the same colour..cheers Craig

Stace11022 12 January 2014 01:01 AM

Hi Craig ...cheers for your reply, It makes sense now in what you have wrote.
Any idea where is the alarm box is located

Wyorksautoectrical 12 January 2014 09:32 AM

Hi mate, presuming it's after market alarm, they normally fit under drivers side of the dashboard. Unless its a cheap system in which case it could all be built into the siren box under bonnet. If the alarm siren as loads of wires to it say about 10/15( that means its all built in the siren, if not it will be under dash.

Stace11022 12 January 2014 09:57 PM

I don't think its an aftermarket alarm as I use a Subaru fob to arm/dis-arm it ...

Wyorksautoectrical 13 January 2014 02:52 PM

What year is it, is it the quite slim remote with the big blob at the back of remote ( where the battery's are) . These alarms are sigma but they had Subaru on the fob and were fitted as an option so you should still be able to find the control box under dash

fawor 13 January 2014 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stace11022 (Post 11320679)
Hi Craig ...cheers for your reply, It makes sense now in what you have wrote.
Any idea where is the alarm box is located

Its simple,change fob battery for new one.:thumb:

I had the same problem,some electrical idiot ordered by natiowide autocentre (i had warranty ) cut my wire and told me I need new alarm.
Similar to elctrician above wow
sigma is fitted under glove box btw

Wyorksautoectrical 13 January 2014 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by fawor (Post 11322739)

Its simple,change fob battery for new one.:thumb:

I had the same problem,some electrical idiot ordered by natiowide autocentre (i had warranty ) cut my wire and told me I need new alarm.
Similar to elctrician above wow
sigma is fitted under glove box btw

Fawor, I don't think changing a battery in a remote as anything to do with a alarm causing one of the indicators sticking on...
Or can't you read what he had said, I been doing auto electrical work for over 25 year... Then try to help somebody out with a problem, then get some idiot who thinks they know better.!

fawor 13 January 2014 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wyorksautoectrical (Post 11322883)
Fawor, I don't think changing a battery in a remote as anything to do with a alarm causing one of the indicators sticking on...
Or can't you read what he had said, I been doing auto electrical work for over 25 year... Then try to help somebody out with a problem, then get some idiot who thinks they know better.!

Buhaha
Other said me the same 30 years and he knows better,
thats known issue with sigma alarm,new battery job done.
use brain,when using key is ok,only when using fob isn't., signal is not strong enough (battery)or in some places something block signal from fob.
For some 25 years isn't enough to lern in one profession:hjtwofing

Stace11022 14 January 2014 06:57 PM

Wyorksautoectrical-
Your 100% right, there's nothing wrong with the battery in the fob, it works fine.
My problem is the control box itself as you said the relay is sticking.

Fawor- when using the key to lock the car the indicators don't flash, Its only when I use the fob that shows its armed, so to me its the control unit at fault (I have two fobs and both work fine )