ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tesco etc taking over every market (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/994212-tesco-etc-taking-over-every-market.html)

lozgti1 07 January 2014 08:37 PM

Tesco etc taking over every market

They sold food Tesco and co op etc used to like them.Now these corporations want piece of everything.Food,insurance,law.Tec does Eddie Stobart want to get involved with law for????

Today saw The Co-operative Nursery:mad:

Used to think"oooooh,trusted name,I'll go with them" today I just thought you lot ruin the world and put everyone else out of business,so,:hjtwofing

Hope it all goes belly up for them all

BULLITT 07 January 2014 09:09 PM

Thinking about it, Wall-E is more accurate than we'd probably give it credit for...

http://www.the-leaping-lamp.com/images/wall-e-bnl.jpg

dpb 07 January 2014 10:31 PM

Plants or children :wonder:

Thyeve been into funerals for ages

Carlh 08 January 2014 07:14 AM

agree about coop and funerals, i buried my wife with them.

pimmo2000 08 January 2014 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Carlh (Post 11316498)
agree about coop and funerals, i buried my wife with them.

Well that's set the tone for my day ..

ALi-B 08 January 2014 07:52 AM

At least they are British companies. Would prefer it if they expand to export overseas to bring in a bit more cash to the uk

Graz 08 January 2014 09:02 AM

Just good a good deal on my car insurance with Tesco. If they want to undercut everone else then it's fine with me :D

lordharding 08 January 2014 09:32 AM

The coop is the biggest funeral operator in the uk creating many jobs
And is the 5th biggest food retailer
They have recently sold coop motors ,travel and insurance but still have farms ,pharmacy and legal services
The coop bank is in name only now though

I've followed Tescos development for the last twenty plus years and have created thousands of jobs for the uk in any different fields and have driven down prices in many different things so not quite sure where this discussion is going ?

Would you prefer the country to have hundreds of smaller Buisness with higher prices ?

Blue by You 08 January 2014 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by lordharding (Post 11316557)
Would you prefer the country to have hundreds of smaller Buisness with higher prices ?

Of course the other side of that argument is, would you be happy with a monopoly situation where you have one supplier and therfore obliged to pay their price?
Furthermore, you have to ask how the likes of Tesco manage to drive prices down. They pay less for the produce in the first place.
That means a lot of growers and manufacturers are working for absolute minimal margins.

Don't get me wrong I shop at Tesco, but lowering prices cannot go on indefinitely.

ALi-B 08 January 2014 01:29 PM

My view if it wasn't Tesco et al taking over then it would be overseas companies like Wallmart and Carrefour taking over intsead.

urban 08 January 2014 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 11316566)
Furthermore, you have to ask how the likes of Tesco manage to drive prices down. They pay less for the produce in the first place.
That means a lot of growers and manufacturers are working for absolute minimal margins.

Exactly, and further to the bullying on pricing, they're totally inflexible.

But the same goes for the other big names too, M&S, Morrisons, Sainsburys etc.

SJ_Skyline 08 January 2014 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11316733)
My view if it wasn't Tesco et al taking over then it would be overseas companies like Wallmart and Carrefour taking over intsead.

Agreed :thumb:

Blue by You 10 January 2014 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 11316566)
That means a lot of growers and manufacturers are working for absolute minimal margins..

Further to this I have just been talking to a friend of mine who was telling me what Tescos pay for him to produce lettuce.
£0.04 each!
Assuming it costs him a penny to grow, and it's his only crop, he's going to have to sell in excess of 5000 lettuces every day to earn a decent wage.

Now that isn't the true scenario as he does have other lines of produce, but it does illustrate the low margins people are working on.

The Trooper 1815 10 January 2014 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11316733)

Wal Mart (US) own ASDA (Associated Dairies).

Tesco, Morrison, M&S are all feeling the pinch due to the economy and the fact Lidl/Aldi (German) are smashing them on price for the same quality in many cases.

Tesco's head office is in Switzerland so avoids many UK tax issues.

daveyj 10 January 2014 01:00 PM

The bigger supermarkets also import a lot of food rather than stick with home grown and seasonal. I much prefer using local farm shops now and paying a smidge more for better quality. It tastes better, supports local businesses and deters wastage as you pay more for it. I'd much rather eat good quality meat twice a week than the cr@p supermarkets sell 5 times for example.

Diversity is good. Having 3 Tesco stores in a small town like Cirencester is not.

ALi-B 10 January 2014 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11318779)
Wal Mart (US) own ASDA (Associated Dairies).

Yes they do, which is why if it weren't for Tesco etc, they'd dominate the UK like they already dominate the US.

ditchmyster 10 January 2014 06:38 PM

Zionist conspiracy, they're taking over the planet. :Suspiciou

daveyj 10 January 2014 06:43 PM

I saw Zion destroyed by robots once, well the docks. True story.

legb4rsk 10 January 2014 08:15 PM

The problem with massive corporations is that they funnel all the profits further & further up the ladder too fewer & fewer people.

The local small to medium businesses more likely keep the money locally.
i.e the owners,management & workers probably live & spend locally as well.