ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Benefit Street (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/994106-benefit-street.html)

pslewis 06 January 2014 08:19 PM

Benefit Street

Tonight at 9pm on CH4 ...... should be decent fodder for the chav hating amongst us :D

pslewis 06 January 2014 09:17 PM

On Now!

joz8968 06 January 2014 09:19 PM

...'Tis an exercise in audio-visual based masochism. :(

joz8968 06 January 2014 09:21 PM

We just love to 'pursue' being outraged. :D

joz8968 06 January 2014 09:23 PM

Hoot. Equality Street.

LSherratt 06 January 2014 09:25 PM

Was just about to post a thread about this, but you've beaten me to it lol.

Shaid 06 January 2014 09:28 PM

Off licence on the corner buys stolen goods. Hope local plod take notice.

ScoobyNoob79 06 January 2014 09:38 PM

Looks plush. They have beds in their houses and in the street!

Shaid 06 January 2014 09:54 PM

Fair play to that Smoggy guy.

He's genuinely making better of his bad situation.

ScoobyNoob79 06 January 2014 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 11315178)

Yeah, compared to the others who seem to enjoy living like that.

joz8968 06 January 2014 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 11315178)

When people try to make the best of their limited situation, one can't help but admire it. Quite moving, that bit.

joz8968 06 January 2014 10:01 PM

Now that it's finished...

...Let the vitriol begin! :D

jods 06 January 2014 10:17 PM

Got it recorded. Vitriol will follow :-)

joz8968 06 January 2014 10:18 PM

lol

Shaid 06 January 2014 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoob79 (Post 11315187)
Yeah, compared to the others who seem to enjoy living like that.

I wouldn't say they enjoy it. I think more like stuck in a rut of crapness where they must outdo another crap person in order to maintain 'respect'.

A kind of pit of low self esteem and a feeling of low worth.

But seriously who the **** sits on a chair in the middle of the pavement and has their hair done!

ScoobyNoob79 06 January 2014 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 11315241)
I wouldn't say they enjoy it. I think more like stuck in a rut of crapness where they must outdo another crap person in order to maintain 'respect'.

A kind of pit of low self esteem and a feeling of low worth.

But seriously who the **** sits on a chair in the middle of the pavement and has their hair done!

Some seem to have got the shi**y end of the stick, but look at 'white Dee', "I work and claim benefits", she loves it....

Shaid 06 January 2014 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoob79 (Post 11315243)
Some seem to have got the shi**y end of the stick, but look at 'white Dee', "I work and claim benefits", she loves it....

I'm not so sure about her.

She obviously cares about her friends and pretty much acts like some sort of crafty social worker.

I can't recall what her work is. Although she was proud if the fact that her benefits have never been stopped.

Oh and the 18 months eviction process. She ain't joking :(

Midlife...... 06 January 2014 10:52 PM

Yep, watched it, I guess it makes good telly.......

Compare that to my life of get up, go to work and repeat for 42 years.

Shaun

andylinney 07 January 2014 08:49 AM

Reminded me of the programme on BBC a few years ago called 'The Scheme' which was set in Kilmarnock.

The story is the same, it's just the location and faces that change.

In some respects I can see their point. Lack of education, skills, experience and abilities condemn them to minimum wage roles meaning that to even begin to cover living expenses they're working all of the hours god sends or, they do nothing and get the same.

I've worked in employability and training for the out of work and I was genuinely shocked at the lack of abilities. It's made worse by the fact that many of them are in blissful ignorance about their own shortcomings and refuse help. My favourite misconception was that someone could get a job just by walking onto a building site and speaking to the 'man'.

I was told this a million times and never once did I see it work. Even when you equipped people with their own safety gear and a cscs card it made no difference. Trying to explain that to someone who refuses to listen is a hell of a way to spend your day.

cookstar 07 January 2014 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by andylinney (Post 11315424)
Reminded me of the programme on BBC a few years ago called 'The Scheme' which was set in Kilmarnock.

The story is the same, it's just the location and faces that change.

In some respects I can see their point. Lack of education, skills, experience and abilities condemn them to minimum wage roles meaning that to even begin to cover living expenses they're working all of the hours god sends or, they do nothing and get the same.

I've worked in employability and training for the out of work and I was genuinely shocked at the lack of abilities. It's made worse by the fact that many of them are in blissful ignorance about their own shortcomings and refuse help. My favourite misconception was that someone could get a job just by walking onto a building site and speaking to the 'man'.

I was told this a million times and never once did I see it work. Even when you equipped people with their own safety gear and a cscs card it made no difference. Trying to explain that to someone who refuses to listen is a hell of a way to spend your day.

I got myself quite a bit of work doing that back in the day. I guess things are different now.

dpb 07 January 2014 09:09 AM

Tbh they made the Scunthorpe ones look proper useless/wasters

dpb 07 January 2014 09:13 AM

I mean this lot seemed relatively human.
I'm not sure they wernt all actors though

thenewgalaxy 07 January 2014 09:19 AM

I loved the bit where one of the subjects claimed to have "qualifications comin' out me ears like" and when they asked him he claimed to have a couple of GCSEs and a couple of refereeing certificates.

Look at the map of Birmingham and there are vast areas similar to William Turner Street...

andylinney 07 January 2014 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy (Post 11315441)
Look at the map of Birmingham and there are vast areas similar to William Turner Street...

It's the same for every town and city in the UK. I think that people like to see this as an issue that only affects certain inner city areas but I can even think of villages here on the Isle of Anglesey that aren't much different to what we saw last night.

the shreksta 07 January 2014 09:42 AM

They don't deserve to live........****ing scrubby little *****

andylinney 07 January 2014 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 11315426)

I got myself quite a bit of work doing that back in the day. I guess things are different now.

Very different, I guess during the housing / construction boom the sites were literally all hands to the deck as time was money finishing one job to start the next. Now construction companies are fighting for contracts and when they do secure one it's a case of resource is money and the drive to reduce costs is amongst their top priorities. Many of the people I dealt with were labourers who whilst they werw very good at their job they weren't tradespeople. Simple economics took hold and the companies took advantage of it, lots of unemployed labourers meant that they could take the pick of the bunch and those willing to work on low pay and temporary two and three week contracts got the work.

Of course, this might only be true of where I was working but I've a feeling it was rather more widespread.

chocolate_o_brian 07 January 2014 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11315434)
Tbh they made the Scunthorpe ones look proper useless/wasters

The ones in Scunny are to busy robbing/getting each other pregnant.

Not helped by the fact it's a Labour stronghold.

Gonna watch this after my late shift later on as I don't really want the string language around my toddler. He gets enough of that through the walls from the Dingles next door.

daveyj 07 January 2014 01:00 PM

The shoplifter with tbe three daughters was an utter waste of space, time and money. Despite his "story" he did not give a stuff about anyone, not even himself. That programme annoyed me a lot. All these hard luck stories but could afford cigarettes and massive wall-mounted televisions but could not pay rent?! Give over. Get your priorities straight.

tubbytommy 07 January 2014 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by daveyj (Post 11315614)
The shoplifter with tbe three daughters was an utter waste of space, time and money. Despite his "story" he did not give a stuff about anyone, not even himself. That programme annoyed me a lot. All these hard luck stories but could afford cigarettes and massive wall-mounted televisions but could not pay rent?! Give over. Get your priorities straight.

its not they cant afford it, its they donbt need to pay as nothing happens if they dont....

take the rent out at source and give them whats left:thumb:

utter lazy scumbags, these programs are just designed to get a reaction from the working part of the population.

it wont be long before we have immigrants dancing on ice or striclty somalian

Worlasshasansti 07 January 2014 01:43 PM

I honestly couldn't watch it for fear of destroying my tv with my foot, after having to work to pay for it.

Mick