ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Ipad 4 or Ipad air (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/993710-ipad-4-or-ipad-air.html)

mrtheedge2u2 02 January 2014 03:36 PM

Ipad 4 or Ipad air

Was tempted to go for the galaxy tab 3 but the Ipad seems to win across the board on the review sites.....however, which is best for the usual messing around on: internet, music, pics, games etc.....the Ipad 4 or Ipad Air?

Cheers

Ant 02 January 2014 04:12 PM

might as well get the latest, the iPad air is so quick in comparison to my ipad2 i had before.

Markus 02 January 2014 08:52 PM

Have a look at both the iPad mini retina (2nd gen iPad mini) and iPad Air.
You may find the smaller form factor, but same retina display might suit you better than a full size iPad.

My guess would be that you'll keep this device for a fair while, so it makes sense to get the latest model you can.

BLU 02 January 2014 09:03 PM

I bought the iPad mini with retina display for the missus. Its just fab, all the features of the iPad air but in a slightly smaller package, can't fault it. Just realised we can print direct to our printer from it via the wireless connection!! It connects to our iMac so easily too!

Its convinced me to replace my remaining android devices with Apple now!

ScoobyDoo555 03 January 2014 10:04 AM

Well, fwiw, I've got an iPad 3 and it's ok. Until I go to flash-enabled websites. Yes, I know the debate about how old flash is now etc etc etc, but there's still a lot of sites using it.

I used mind on holiday for a e-reader: brilliant for e-magazines, but rubbish as a book. For 2 reasons:

Rubbish in sunlight
Too heavy

For everything else though, it's very good.

JackClark 03 January 2014 10:06 AM

Everyone I know that like you is stuck in the 2000's uses Puffin browser for Flash.

dpb 03 January 2014 10:17 AM

So how does that work then?

You have to come out of one browser and enter another one, every time you wish to a video.?!!!?

JackClark 03 January 2014 10:49 AM

It's pretty difficult to find a video site that doesn't support modern playback formats. Or you could just use Puffin Browser then use a normal browser when you're finished on Archive.org.

dpb 03 January 2014 11:48 AM

flabbergasted

JackClark 03 January 2014 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11310972)
flabbergasted

Really? I can't remember the last time part of a page didn't load for me and it wasn't an advert. Give it up man, I announced the death of Flash years ago, you should have taken note.

dpb 03 January 2014 12:04 PM

Less is more presumably

mrtheedge2u2 03 January 2014 12:50 PM

Guys, lets not get into the slating.....it is either an air or ipad 4.....if they both have the same 'fault' with flash then it is a pointless conversation for this thread

Chris.air 03 January 2014 01:10 PM

Got to be the air then. No point in getting older as the new gets old so quickly anyway!!!

JackClark 03 January 2014 03:03 PM

Nothing wrong with the iPad, but if you use them both you'll want the Air.

neil-h 03 January 2014 04:55 PM

As has been said, it's well worth looking at the mini with retina. You can get the 32gb version for the same price as the 16gb air and other than the screen size/resolution, there exactly the same.

ScoobyNoob79 03 January 2014 07:00 PM

I like how the Apple site lets you compare the Air with an iPad 2 but not with the actual latest Retina iPad?

Apple trying to justify the additional price tag on the Air?

Either way, love my retina iPad, for me the mini is just pointless.

Ohh and Puffin Browser is f**king ****.

Ant 03 January 2014 07:12 PM

The thinness of the air is a big deal for me , feels a lot better in your hands and lighter.

Also the air is really quick

Ant 03 January 2014 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoob79 (Post 11311415)
I like how the Apple site lets you compare the Air with an iPad 2 but not with the actual latest Retina iPad?

Apple trying to justify the additional price tag on the Air?

Either way, love my retina iPad, for me the mini is just pointless.

Ohh and Puffin Browser is f**king ****.

Apple only compare the two as that's all they sell now ,that's why they list on their site iPad air and iPad 2 (non retina)

ScoobyNoob79 03 January 2014 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 11311439)
Apple only compare the two as that's all they sell now ,that's why they list on their site iPad air and iPad 2 (non retina)

Yeah, because if they kept the retina ipad it would obviously be cheaper than the newer Air, yet similar spec, shows how much they rip us off.

Ant 03 January 2014 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoob79 (Post 11311460)
Yeah, because if they kept the retina ipad it would obviously be cheaper than the newer Air, yet similar spec, shows how much they rip us off.

thats a matter of opinion isn't it? i don't feel ripped off and I'm sure others don't :)

ScoobyNoob79 03 January 2014 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 11311530)
thats a matter of opinion isn't it? i don't feel ripped off and I'm sure others don't :)

Obviously not, because it has an Apple icon on it ;)

ScoobyDoo555 03 January 2014 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11310888)
Everyone I know that like you is stuck in the 2000's uses Puffin browser for Flash.

Thanks for the insult Jack - but as it's from you, I'll take it with a pinch of salt.
If you'd bothered to read my post properly rather than put on the time-tested Apple suit of armour, you'd have seen that the issue is with the websites. Not the users.

Flash is still being used. That's not the users' fault. But the user expects/demands to still have access to the content.

Granted, these sites are in decline, but they're still out there.

So please, take your acerbic comments, and shove them up you-know-where :p :D
All you prove is that you can't even get on with fellow Apple-users.

Anyway, OP? Get either one, but if you're after specifically an e-reader, get the Air. Or better still, a Kindle.

JackClark 04 January 2014 12:37 AM

LOL that wasn't an insult, I offered you a solution. Nothing wrong with being stuck in the 2000's.

f1_fan 04 January 2014 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 11311434)
Also the air is really quick

Serious question, what do you do with the Air that the speed provides a noticeable improvement in usability over the prevous generation?

Ant 04 January 2014 07:30 PM

One significant difference I found was using an app called avplayer hd on my ipad 2 it wouldn't play hd files in a .mkv constainer due to apple restricting hardware acceleration it would stutter and play no sound on my air it plays these files flawlessly.

Also the speed of web browsing has improved, I did a speedtest on my ipad 2 and it maxed out at around 20mb on a 120mb connection so it seems the hardware was bottle necking it

This is what I got when testing with the air

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ps3bf6907e.jpg

f1_fan 05 January 2014 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 11312578)
One significant difference I found was using an app called avplayer hd on my ipad 2 it wouldn't play hd files in a .mkv constainer due to apple restricting hardware acceleration it would stutter and play no sound on my air it plays these files flawlessly.

Ah OK, yes I can see that would make a difference

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 11312578)
Also the speed of web browsing has improved, I did a speedtest on my ipad 2 and it maxed out at around 20mb on a 120mb connection so it seems the hardware was bottle necking it

But web browsing (as in just looking and reading various sites) will not really be any different for 20MB or 120MB as the amount of data shipped is relatively very small (unless youy are downloading/streaming a lot of online video), it's the ping time that is far more a factor for fast browsing.

I only asked as I have an iPad Air and for most things it doesn't seem noticeably faster than my partner's iPad2!

JackClark 05 January 2014 12:01 PM

Games such as Real Racing are significantly faster with better graphics than my iPad 2. For a real test try DJay, it's 64bit optimised, analysing a friends music collection could be watched, on mine I turn it off and do something else before it's finished. The 2 is still a very useful machine, but if I had more money than sense I'd upgrade.

http://www.algoriddim.com/djay-ipad

Rescue Dude 05 January 2014 12:07 PM

I finally caved and bought an ipad Air. :(

Got to say I'm beginning to understand what all the fuss was about.

I'm impressed. :)