ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Differences between bug and blob STI (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/992550-differences-between-bug-and-blob-sti.html)

pflowers 16 December 2013 03:31 PM

Differences between bug and blob STI

Looking around at cars and have seen quite a few late bug / early blobs in my price range. Are there any physical differences between the cars other than cosmetics.

I didn't like bugs when they first came out but I think they actually look ok now and have aged very well.

thenewgalaxy 16 December 2013 03:39 PM

Is this a troll post?

Only reason I ask is that you've been a member on here since 2004.

pflowers 16 December 2013 03:39 PM

To add, I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to get a definite answer.

wrxyz 16 December 2013 03:40 PM

I like mine with the morrette front lights... they are a bit rarer now as well.

tubbytommy 16 December 2013 03:41 PM

pretty much the same apart from the obvious cosmetics, i think there is a slight difference in steering geometry but not a lot.

its the late widetrack blobs that have a lot of differences

pflowers 16 December 2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy (Post 11294262)
Is this a troll post?

Only reason I ask is that you've been a member on here since 2004.

Lol, no it's a genuine question that I don't know the answer too. I know the wrx bug to blob had a differing power output but don't know about the sti?

Maz 16 December 2013 03:45 PM

The bug sti had pukka forged pistons, unlike the later Blobs which had hypereutectic cast pistons.

pflowers 16 December 2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11294266)
pretty much the same apart from the obvious cosmetics, i think there is a slight difference in steering geometry but not a lot.

its the late widetrack blobs that have a lot of differences

Thanks, really I would like a widetrack but I don't want to spend more than £6k and for that it's a choice between a mint bug/early blob or a rough widetrack.

Maz 16 December 2013 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by pflowers (Post 11294271)
Thanks, really I would like a widetrack but I don't want to spend more than £6k and for that it's a choice between a mint bug/early blob or a rough widetrack.

Mint bug early blob all the way. These will have the forged pistons and con rods. Some early blobs had forged pistons/rods too. These are capable of handling 450bhp.

thenewgalaxy 16 December 2013 03:55 PM

As far as I'm aware the bug vs non widetrack is different in terms of the gearbox syncromesh and front suspension geometry.

Some non widetracks have dccd a such as the WR1.

The big difference came with the widetracks in 2005 with spec c suspension and the dccd as standard.

I am sure there are minor differences but those are the main ones I can recall.

pflowers 16 December 2013 04:31 PM

Cheers everyone, I think it's going to be a bugeye then, just to have something a little more rare as I see very few around.

thenewgalaxy 16 December 2013 04:58 PM

I had a bug and preferred it to my Hawk.

However it is worth stretching to the '05 widetrack STi if you can afford to though, I think that is the best of the newage cars.

The bit about forged pistons in these cars is a valid one but I would be careful bumping a ten year old car up from 265bhp to 450bhp overnight, if you get my drift.

AndyBaker 16 December 2013 06:09 PM

I had a 55 plate widetrack blob and now the bug STI and a bit like you I really like the bug. As you say they've aged very well and so far mine seems to be pretty bullet proof (he says crossing everything). Andy