ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   98 impreza side light removal (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/992529-98-impreza-side-light-removal.html)

DUBHEAD 16 December 2013 09:34 AM

98 impreza side light removal

Hi could anyone share some help of how to get side light bulb out? Had a look behind the light and it looks sealed (apart from some small screws)
Does the headlight need to come out to be able to change them? If so how does it come out and does the headlight and side light spilt?
thanks

SwissTony 16 December 2013 09:39 AM

if you are talking about the side light (next to main headlight) then very easy

One phillips screw on the top. Then it is a simple case of wiggling it forward. There is a small ball joint usually at the bottom of the light that needs to be worked forward. Once clear you need to twist the light slightly to not foul the plastic L shaped lug at the top (where the previously mentioned screw was)

As you bring it forward you can disconnect the bulb

Job done

:thumb:

DUBHEAD 16 December 2013 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 11293969)
if you are talking about the side light (next to main headlight) then very easy

One phillips screw on the top. Then it is a simple case of wiggling it forward. There is a small ball joint usually at the bottom of the light that needs to be worked forward. Once clear you need to twist the light slightly to not foul the plastic L shaped lug at the top (where the previously mentioned screw was)

As you bring it forward you can disconnect the bulb

Job done

:thumb:

Thanks mate will have look soon see if I can manage it :) cheers

SwissTony 16 December 2013 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by DUBHEAD (Post 11293972)
Thanks mate will have look soon see if I can manage it :) cheers

Just be patient and take your time. I have broken the L clip many times before being impatient and rushing the job. The ball joint will just pop out and there are a couple of plastic locating lugs that line everything up in the wing so once clear you will see them.

DUBHEAD 16 December 2013 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 11293980)
Just be patient and take your time. I have broken the L clip many times before being impatient and rushing the job. The ball joint will just pop out and there are a couple of plastic locating lugs that line everything up in the wing so once clear you will see them.

Right ok thanks, will this remove the whole side light or just the bulb holder in the back? Thanks

Type_R_1984 16 December 2013 10:26 AM

That will take out the whole side light then just twist out the bulb.

SwissTony 16 December 2013 10:26 AM

The whole side light will come out and then it is up to you which part of the bulb you remove. You can twist the bulb holder to remove it from the sidelight leaving the bulb sticking out attached to the cable or you can unclip the connector end and leave the bulb in the sidelight. Your choice, depends on what you are doing

DUBHEAD 16 December 2013 11:21 AM

Nice one and I just want to replace the side lights that's all :)

DUBHEAD 17 December 2013 03:39 PM

Changed them today didn't realise it was so easy, thanks for help

SwissTony 17 December 2013 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by DUBHEAD (Post 11295130)
Changed them today didn't realise it was so easy, thanks for help

told you :thumb:

DUBHEAD 17 December 2013 06:26 PM

Yeah thanks pal