ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   ABW Custom Wide Arch Time Attack Legacy (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/992255-abw-custom-wide-arch-time-attack-legacy.html)

dbrad 12 December 2013 11:54 AM

ABW Custom Wide Arch Time Attack Legacy

3 Attachment(s)
Some of you will have seen the Legacy at events throughout 2013. During Time Attack Brands Hatch it became obvious that the Legacy was lacking in grip, putting down 700bhp through Clearways on 235 tyres was a challenge.

Attachment 58297

After lengthy discussions with my support team and sponsors we decided to fit wider wheels and tyres but the current wheel arches cannot accommodate anything wider than 235.

Attachment 58298

Attachment 58299

This is where Daren at ABW came to the rescue. The car was dropped off with Daren last week and despite having a new born baby at home he set to work on the Legacy straight away. As I receive pictures from Daren I will upload them to this thread.

dbrad 12 December 2013 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 58300

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psn2edbqoc.jpg

gussy 12 December 2013 03:45 PM

Thats going to look well different when its finished Damien looking forward to seeing the finished article .I was wondering why you were selling all your wheels now I know why :)

dbrad 12 December 2013 04:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cheers Gussy :)

More pics

Attachment 58301

Attachment 58302

BLU 12 December 2013 04:16 PM

This should look ultra cool.
The extra grip you'll get is a bonus too :lol1:

mickywrx 12 December 2013 06:47 PM

Hard to tell in the pic, but, they look a hell of a lot wider, Damien. :thumb:

theduck 12 December 2013 07:38 PM

That looks to be a good inch or more of flare! Going to look brilliant.

scooby kid 12 December 2013 07:56 PM

Very nice

AS Performance 13 December 2013 09:08 AM

fantastic Damien, best of luck next season........

Matt R 13 December 2013 07:07 PM

More pics yet?

dbrad 13 December 2013 07:13 PM

No more pics yet. Alyn thanks for your support thus far :)

Kwik 13 December 2013 07:18 PM

Looks fantastic. Are you just doing the fronts?

dbrad 13 December 2013 07:33 PM

ABW are doing the whole car. Wings, 1/4's, side skirts, bumpers, doors all being modified by Daren.

jura11 14 December 2013 03:03 AM

Damien looks awesome,looking forward to see more pictures and good luck with TA next year:thumb:

Bet will looks just awesome

Jura

dbrad 21 December 2013 10:46 AM

Almost finished now

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps9t2hq9i7.jpg

dbrad 21 December 2013 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 58304

Truss 21 December 2013 12:22 PM

That looks tough as! Awesome! Best of luck for next year.

dbrad 21 December 2013 02:37 PM

Thanks Truss

mickywrx 21 December 2013 06:35 PM

Fibreglass doors too, Damien?

Car looks great, like you said though, shame it's doesn't look as much of a sleeper anymore.

dbrad 21 December 2013 06:44 PM

Micky, doors are originals but have been lightened a little :)

M444GY 22 December 2013 04:24 PM

looking good mate :thumb:

GezP 22 December 2013 06:08 PM

Absolutely brilliant mate :)

danos14 22 December 2013 08:39 PM

That looks very nice.

Fat Boy 23 December 2013 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very nice work by ABW.

It's only a personal thing, and I know that relieving pressure in wheel arches is a good thing for performance, but I have to say that I'm not a fan of the " open back end of the front arches" Time Attack look. Like I say, only a personal view and possibly due to my love of/obsession with the early UR Quattro/ Quattro Sport /Integrale style arches, but, if it was my car, I would prefer it to look more oem/sleeper with a smoothly faired in rear end of the front arches - like the back ones.

Attachment 58303

All that aside - this is a great car and a credit to you Damien. Good luck for next year.

BLU 23 December 2013 09:26 PM

Very nice :thumb:

mantazini 25 December 2013 02:50 AM

Passive aggressive .... very nice..

328isport 25 December 2013 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 11300641)
Very nice work by ABW.

It's only a personal thing, and I know that relieving pressure in wheel arches is a good thing for performance, but I have to say that I'm not a fan of the " open back end of the front arches" Time Attack look. Like I say, only a personal view and possibly due to my love of/obsession with the early UR Quattro/ Quattro Sport /Integrale style arches, but, if it was my car, I would prefer it to look more oem/sleeper with a smoothly faired in rear end of the front arches - like the back ones.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...psaaf31df6.jpg

All that aside - this is a great car and a credit to you Damien. Good luck for next year.

I'd guess there's advantages to open front wings on a race car though, I'm no expert by any means but I'd assume weight and heat dissipation would be two benefits, plus possibly aero if the rear end is designed accordingly

dbrad 13 April 2014 10:25 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Update time.

On Saturday night (5/04/14) Steven of SD Motorsport and Matt R delivered the Legacy to Silverstone National circuit pits. The car was offloaded and we set about adding the remaining sponsor stickers from AS Performance, Part-box.com, Keith Michaels Car Insurance and Millers Oils Ltd. The wheels were also swapped over and we were very happy with the look of the car.

Attachment 58305

Attachment 58306

Attachment 58307

6.30am on the morning of the Time Attack Championship i received my wake up call. Steven and his team made their way to the pits to final check the cars and prepare for the day ahead.

I arrived at the pits to find the car ready and waiting and yet another fantastic part from Whiteline Flatout had been delivered. Whiteline have been a huge help this year. We aslo ended up sharing a garage with quite a special Hatch.....

Attachment 58308

Due to lack of time the warm up session would be the first time id driven the legacy since the ABW Motorsport Design wide arch kit, Kaaz differential and Adgespeed pedal box had been fitted. I had never before driven a car without a servo. As I sat in the car waiting for the lights to go green I couldn't believe how hard the brake pedal was. Out we went on to the track and on the first corner I pressed the brakes and nothing, pressed harder, still nothing, pressed so hard I almost flexed the seat and the car stopped on its nose. At this point I believed the brakes would be my biggest challenge with the car, I was wrong!

The track was very greasy but i tried to push on a little so we would have some decent data logs for Simon Jolly Green Monster Limited to analyse between sessions. Whilst carrying some speed through Brooklands the back end of the car stepped out and went into a spin, this happened several times throughout the day and really knocked my confidence. We made several adjustments to the car to stop this happening and in the final I believe we were making progress however it was too late.

Attachment 58309

Attachment 58310

Attachment 58311

Despite the difficulties we had, we are still very happy with the results having finished first in class in Qualifying and fourth in class in the final. We are currently tied at the top of the championship table with 120 points. It was a fantastic, well run event by the Time Attack team. We are planning a test day at Cadwell then it will be all hands on deck for the next round at Knockhill Circuit on 25th May.

Finally Id like to thank my sponsors and all of our team in no particular order

Simon Roe @ www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk
Steven, Jim and Trevor @ SD Motorsport
Matt R
www.whiteline.com.au
Keith Michaels Insurance
Millers Oils
ABW Motorsport Design
Mike Latimer Engines
www.part-box.com
www.asperformance.com

also all the photographers for such fantastic pictures.

Especially John at Flat Out Motorsport Photography and Steve Jackman working on behalf of Whiteline.

JamesDundee 16 April 2014 12:47 PM

Holy sh*tballs that looks amazing!

mickp 16 April 2014 01:15 PM

Looks fantastic