ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Day 7, break down 2 :( (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/991801-day-7-break-down-2-a.html)

theduck 06 December 2013 08:58 AM

Day 7, break down 2 :(

Currently sat waiting for the RAC to come and recover me to a garage after the car decided it didn't like its coolant anymore and that it would squirt it all over the engine bay :(

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...5A27E10ED2.jpg

imprezaworks 06 December 2013 09:10 AM

And you have only just bought it too. Hi fellow cliosport.net person. Hope you sort it

theduck 06 December 2013 09:12 AM

Yep. Am bloody freezing now. Only another hour before rac get here.

reedy107 06 December 2013 09:45 AM

were did the coolent leak from ?

is it a common fault on these ?

theduck 06 December 2013 09:50 AM

I don't know. Has a good look and only thing I can see is it looks as though the top hose has a repair sleeve on it and it may be that has failed. Getting it towed to BTM Performance when the RAC finally arrive.

First bloke called and said "I can't fix coolant hose at the side of the road" we'll no **** Sherlock, I told them that on the phone.

The says "I can't tow you, 4 wheel drive"

Now waiting for a flat bed.

imprezaworks 06 December 2013 09:55 AM

ffs what a pain. Fred will sort it. Has it got samco hoses? from the pic doesnt look like it

theduck 06 December 2013 09:59 AM

No samco, just standard hoses.

imprezaworks 06 December 2013 10:01 AM

probably a good chance one of them has split.

reedy107 06 December 2013 10:11 AM

sounds like a easy fix

jake1989 06 December 2013 10:29 AM

Standard top hose has a sleeve over it near the power steering belt just for protection I believe.
I've heard of a few rads popping/splitting on bugeyes

Tidgy 06 December 2013 12:09 PM

rad hoses go, no mater what make or model, i have had one go on a bmw and one on a scoob. they are rubber so perish over time and go, its no biggy. As long as you didnt let it run with no coolant so it overheated then will be new hose, add coolant, bleed system job done. Just one of those things

ditchmyster 06 December 2013 12:16 PM

Yep quite normal and very common on scoobs, top hose gets old and bulges and the rad fan puts a nice little knick in it and away goes half the coolant.:thumb:

theduck 06 December 2013 01:25 PM

Well its at BTM performance now just waiting on the diagnosis, and more importantly this time of year the cost!

imprezaworks 06 December 2013 03:50 PM

Hope it's not too costly mate, these things happen at the worst possible time :(

Scooby-doo97 06 December 2013 04:02 PM

Hope it's a simple fix mate and hope your luck changes for the good.

alcazar 06 December 2013 06:07 PM

I was lucky with mine. Noticed clouds of steam in traffic, luckily I was yards from home, shot up the drive, popped the bonnet and saw a TINY jet of water coming from a pin-prick hole in the top hose. As soon as the pressure went, it stopped.

On removal, the hose could be seen to be nearing serious breakdown, the interior was covered in what looked like razor-blade cuts. Had I been driving hard, not just locally, I would have been in your shoes.

Just after I replaced the rad, too, I reckon I opened one of the cuts manipulating the hose off and on again.

merlin24 06 December 2013 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11285638)
I was lucky with mine. Noticed clouds of steam in traffic, luckily I was yards from home, shot up the drive, popped the bonnet and saw a TINY jet of water coming from a pin-prick hole in the top hose. As soon as the pressure went, it stopped.

On removal, the hose could be seen to be nearing serious breakdown, the interior was covered in what looked like razor-blade cuts. Had I been driving hard, not just locally, I would have been in your shoes.

Just after I replaced the rad, too, I reckon I opened one of the cuts manipulating the hose off and on again.

Google, ECD ( Electro Chemical Degradation ) in relation to coolant hoses.
This is the cause of the internal breakdown of the hoses over time.

Mick

WRXrowdy 07 December 2013 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by reedy107 (Post 11285142)
were did the coolent leak from ?

is it a common fault on these ?

Yes, over time the top hose can split, also the plastic part on the top of the rad can crack.

sonic93 07 December 2013 09:20 AM

Cheap fix wouldn't worry to much

Gear Head 07 December 2013 09:28 AM

Make sure there isn't fracture in the rad end tank itself. Also a common fault.

alcazar 07 December 2013 10:43 AM

Interesting article by Gates, relating to the ECD mentioned above.

The final part ought to be a mantra for Scoob owners:

Gates engineers emphasize that it's not uncommon to find premature hose failures due to electrochemical damage in vehicles driven less than 25,000 miles. From the customer's perspective, the timely replacement of a coolant hose can prevent an emergency breakdown on a highway, as well as costly engine damage. Today's engines run at higher temperatures, which means if the hose fails and coolant is lost, overheating occurs almost immediately.

To address the damage caused by ECD, Gates also developed an electrochemically-resistant coolant hose using a new EPDM formulation. The new EPDM hose offers improved performance characteristics over standard rubber hose.

In fleet tests in the toughest applications, ECR hoses have gone 200,000 miles and are still going with no electrochemical damage. Standard hoses revealed damage and failures as early as 20,000 miles in the same fleet tests.
To be safe, Gates recommends changing coolant hoses if they are four years old, or older, especially the upper radiator and heater hoses.

Of importance to technicians and car owners is the superior bonding ability of the EPDM hose to metal fittings. Gates new ECR hose also inhibits water in the coolant mixture from permeating through the hose wall. Water loss can cause an imbalance of the antifreeze, which has an adverse effect on the freezing and boiling points.

Whenever replacing a hose, Gates also recommends replacing the clamps. Although today's clamps are generally made with stainless steel bands that resist corrosion and damage, they're held in place by a carbon steel screw which can fatigue and lose strength.
I've highlighted two paragraphs that people ought to take note of.

I wonder where one gets these attack-resistant hoses from, and at what cost?

LuckyWelshchap 08 December 2013 02:22 PM

Firstly, hope you got it sorted without damaging the wallet too much op. :thumb:

Next, can anyone explain why it's electro-chemical degradation ???????

Surely that means the coolant's chemical composition is changed due to the action of an electric current (given the hoses aren't conductors)?

Or is it that metal in the hose itself breaks down due to electrical activity?

I can't see how an electrical charge can affect coolant (well, not without making wild theories and guesses anyway).

PADDYHOEY 08 December 2013 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap (Post 11287096)
Firstly, hope you got it sorted without damaging the wallet too much op. :thumb:

Next, can anyone explain why it's electro-chemical degradation ???????

Surely that means the coolant's chemical composition is changed due to the action of an electric current (given the hoses aren't conductors)?

Or is it that metal in the hose itself breaks down due to electrical activity?

I can't see how an electrical charge can affect coolant (well, not without making wild theories and guesses anyway).

I'd love to explain, but frankly just cba as it's you who's asked !!

PADDYHOEY 08 December 2013 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 11286080)
Yes, over time the top hose can split, also the plastic part on the top of the rad can crack.

It doesn't help with people squeezing the hose either !!

Busterbulldog 08 December 2013 03:03 PM

Good job it didn't happen on a motorway,you get a big clean up bill for spilled coolant nowadays.

LuckyWelshchap 08 December 2013 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by PADDYHOEY (Post 11287106)
I'd love to explain, but frankly just cba as it's you who's asked !!

Mmm - another Paddy paddy.

You can't explain - simple as.

Because if you could you'd love to get one over on me.

The Great Man is gone but his words will remain.
One of his sayings was "resentment is like drinking poison and hoping it will kill your enemies".

You're another who tried and who has realised you met your match.
More to the point I know you do.

Game over, no rematch. Into the i-bin you go. Goodbye.

f1_fan 08 December 2013 03:49 PM

Electro chemical degradation happens when the coolant mixture reacts with the different metals in the engine to form a galvanic cell and become charged. It discharges itself through the hoses (which are made of a lot of things as well as rubber) and weakens them usually at the highest point.

Of course LWC claims to have me on ignore after he took umbrage at the fact I stated I would never want to buy a car like his pseudo special edition Litchfield parts bin special so he won't be able to read this, but someone else may be interested :thumb: :lol1:

tony de wonderful 08 December 2013 03:59 PM

More like thermal degradation.

PADDYHOEY 08 December 2013 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap (Post 11287159)
Mmm - another Paddy paddy.

You can't explain - simple as.

Because if you could you'd love to get one over on me.

The Great Man is gone but his words will remain.
One of his sayings was "resentment is like drinking poison and hoping it will kill your enemies".

You're another who tried and who has realised you met your match.
More to the point I know you do.

Game over, no rematch. Into the i-bin you go. Goodbye.

Lolololollol.

I learnt that on my level 2 14 years ago !!!
You bit, just as I expected. !! Good chap.

PADDYHOEY 08 December 2013 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11287173)
Electro chemical degradation happens when the coolant mixture reacts with the different metals in the engine to form a galvanic cell and become charged. It discharges itself through the hoses (which are made of a lot of things as well as rubber) and weakens them usually at the highest point.

Of course LWC claims to have me on ignore after he took umbrage at the fact I stated I would never want to buy a car like his pseudo special edition Litchfield parts bin special so he won't be able to read this, but someone else may be interested :thumb: :lol1:

Hahaha, what a foooking knob he is !!
Computer nerd, as I've been told off one of his so called welsh friends.

The description was, an overweight, pot bellied, 60's style jam jar glasses. Who loves the sound of his own voice !!