ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   advice needed please (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/990455-advice-needed-please.html)

horsham rc 18 November 2013 11:03 PM

advice needed please

Hi all
I have picked up a cheap 1 owner uk wrx saloon with 180k on the clock paperwork shows a good service history and engine sounds sweet.
Question is am i asking for trouble buy making engine modifications like a remap to around 270bhp.
Ive allready done the full decat system and air filter and a blow off valve next i was going to service it including a cambelt change before looking at a remap.
Any advice would be great.
Thank.

MattyB1983 20 November 2013 09:04 PM

Modifying a 180K standard unmolested engine is asking for trouble in my opinion.
If it was me, I'd remove the bits you've already put on and enjoy the car.

Also worth considering, a standard'ish 180K uk wrx is worth very little, maybe a grand if you're lucky. Is it really worth throwing hundreds of pounds at it ??
Enjoy it for what it is and save up for something a little more special.

The Trooper 1815 21 November 2013 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by horsham rc (Post 11268558)
Hi all
I have picked up a cheap 1 owner uk wrx saloon with 180k on the clock paperwork shows a good service history and engine sounds sweet.
Question is am i asking for trouble buy making engine modifications like a remap to around 270bhp.
Ive allready done the full decat system and air filter and a blow off valve next i was going to service it including a cambelt change before looking at a remap.
Any advice would be great.
Thank.

Decat - debatable/MOT failure. JDM cars run catted systems and the later models are 250 bhp out of the box and remap to 280 easily.
Panel filter - yes, K&N/Green Cotton.
Uprated fuel pump - yes.
180k UK car, new clutch - probably.
OE DV is perfect but may be a bit leaky. VTA valves are not a performance enhancement.

But the cheapness of the initial purchase will never in a Month of Sunday be recouped or worth all the extra bits to get to 270bhp. Enjoy what it is and keep smiling.

toneh 21 November 2013 08:11 PM

Your asking for a certain amount of trouble modding any car , I personally wouldn't mind modding a car with high miles especially if it was purchased for peanuts , and if it does go Pete tong either fix it , break it or swap the bits that you've invested money in, onto another car and start again
If nothing else it'll be a learning curve , be it good or bad ;)

Pigman149 21 November 2013 08:28 PM

i would guess as long as its done right it should be ok,you can blow a newish car if done wrong

MattyB1983 21 November 2013 09:29 PM

If anything, the bits you've already done without a map will be doing more damage than good.