ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   london - Six cyclist dead in two weeks (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/990443-london-six-cyclist-dead-in-two-weeks.html)

jonc 22 December 2013 05:10 PM

I really don't see what the issue is and why cyclists on the whole are so resistant to such legislation or change just because in might be logistically difficult to we should bother at all. Insurance, even just third party, would be beneficial would it not and it's cheap too. Registering a new bike on purchase, much like any other motorised vehicle, isn't that difficult.

nik52wrx 22 December 2013 05:25 PM

When you say cyclists on the whole is this fact or just your opinion?
Has anyone actually carried out a survey?

I have no resistance to it and neither do the four other lads I ride with, all of which are insured.

I agree registering isn't that difficult but who funds and runs it?
How would it be monitored, would a 3 year old with stabilisers on his bike require it?

Let's face it there are millions of cars on the road uninsured and driven by twats with no licence which the authorities can't deal with so insurance for bikes is way off the radar imo.

Nik.

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11299808)
I really don't see what the issue is and why cyclists on the whole are so resistant to such legislation or change just because in might be logistically difficult to we should bother at all. Insurance, even just third party, would be beneficial would it not and it's cheap too. Registering a new bike on purchase, much like any other motorised vehicle, isn't that difficult.

jonc 22 December 2013 06:49 PM

I'm not arguing about whether it will be introduced by any current or future governments, because it is way off the radar. I'm just saying that it would be a good idea, no? As to whether I see most cyclists are resistant to such changes, yes it is my opinion and is partly based by the fact that cyclists like yourself on here seem quite negative about such changes. Take for instance your stance that just because it might be difficult to implement we shouldn't bother at all; you point out that there are millions of motorists who have no insurance or licence, does that me we should abolish the whole system because it's ineffective in your example? I mean why bother if authorities can't police it.

nik52wrx 22 December 2013 07:02 PM

Negative or realistic ;)

I'm all for it I just can't see the logistics of it all working.

After cyclists do we move onto horse riders the those that choose to jog on the road, who knows.....

Nik

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11299934)
I'm not arguing about whether it will be introduced by any current or future governments, because it is way off the radar. I'm just saying that it would be a good idea, no? As to whether I see most cyclists are resistant to such changes, yes it is my opinion and is partly based by the fact that cyclists like yourself on here seem quite negative about such changes. Take for instance your stance that just because it might be difficult to implement we shouldn't bother at all; you point out that there are millions of motorists who have no insurance or licence, does that me we should abolish the whole system because it's ineffective in your example? I mean why bother if authorities can't police it.

f1_fan 22 December 2013 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by nik52wrx (Post 11299964)
Negative or realistic ;)

I'm all for it I just can't see the logistics of it all working.

After cyclists do we move onto horse riders the those that choose to jog on the road, who knows.....

Nik

Not unless horse riders and joggers start camming their antics and posting them on YouTube no :thumb:

nik52wrx 22 December 2013 08:18 PM

With the popularity of those go pro things I wouldn't bet against it F1.

I do agree some cyclists do get carried away with cameras though, looking for drama out of nothing moments.
When I'm out the last thing I'm looking for is confrontation. Thankfully where I live barring the first ten mile or so most riding is done in the quiet countryside where my biggest enemy is the pheasant :razz:

Nik.

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11299974)
Not unless horse riders and joggers start camming their antics and posting them on YouTube no :thumb:

trails 23 December 2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11298906)
No it's about a stupid cyclist who thought it was okay to break the law and having total disregard of others and, as a result, nearly ended up killing a child and only getting a year in jail (but most likely serve less than half of that).

If you read the article an eyewitness says; "head down bottom raised from the seat" seems this is poor planning\observation on the riders part. Not vindicating in anyway as he is clearly 100% at fault but perhaps not the best example of watonly jumping the red, particularly as the charge was changed to GBH...

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11298906)
A motorist would also have been banned with points on their licence, he'll be back on his bike again in 6 months and still run through red lights.

If a car had hit her at that speed she would most likely be dead...perhaps the sentance reflects that fact.

Miniman 08 January 2014 11:00 PM

http://road.cc/content/news/106434-m...sers-behaviour

Puts paid to the concern some had on here that the Police do nothing about pavement riding, riding without lights, and running red lights (Contravening traffic signals). I believe other police forces have been doing the same.