ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cold War Jet - bbc2 (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/989668-cold-war-jet-bbc2.html)

albob 08 November 2013 08:13 PM

Cold War Jet - bbc2

Bit late for a 'Heads-up' -- but, "Cold War Jets" is on Beeb 2 at 9PM

"..Britain emerged from the Second World War in financial crisis, but one technological innovation provided hope for the future - a world-leading jet aviation industry. During the Cold War, the jet engine became a lucrative export and a powerful piece of military hardware, but selling to the wrong buyer could alter the balance of power.."

Next weeks episode features the Might Vulcan/Victor/Valiant

RA Dunk 08 November 2013 09:31 PM

Got it on sky plus. :)

Mouser 08 November 2013 10:04 PM

Thanks for that albob :thumb: Very interesting programme. Envious of James Holland's flight in the trainer jet.

albob 08 November 2013 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 11259396)
Thanks for that albob :thumb: Very interesting programme. Envious of James Holland's flight in the trainer jet.

Me too...!

I am waiting for next weeks episode about the V force, and hoping for an input from our very own 'Resident Expert' Leslie.....

The Trooper 1815 08 November 2013 11:03 PM

License fee well spent!

Midlife...... 08 November 2013 11:18 PM

Took me back to my youth..........stood on grassy banks watching fast jets and bombers destroying my hearing.

Then being told on the tannoy that the 104 starfighter display of 3 jets from the Luftwaffe was one short, presumably because it crashed, so only a couple of sonic booms :)

that was the 60's :)

Applied for the RAF but told I was too thick :(

Shaun

tony de wonderful 08 November 2013 11:34 PM

There's an EE Lightning prototype at Manchester air and space museum. I like to walk past it and imagine the sound of it on full tap.

warrenm2 09 November 2013 09:25 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ets_Episode_1/ for those who missed it

legb4rsk 09 November 2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11259451)
There's an EE Lightning prototype at Manchester air and space museum. I like to walk past it and imagine the sound of it on full tap.

OH yes! It is awesome.
I lived 2 miles from Biggin Hill when I was growing up & used to climb over the fence when the air show was on.
The highlight for me was when the Lightning would dive straight down onto the runway from an enormous altitude & break the sound barrier just before pulling out of the dive very close to the ground.

Still the loudest noise I have ever heard.:luxhello:

RA Dunk 09 November 2013 08:46 PM

Just got round to watching this, well worth the time. The Russians never half did the dirty on us with our engines in the MIG 15 though, wankers.

yabbadoo4 10 November 2013 12:42 AM

looking forward to the next programme. seen the vulcan at leuchars last year still an awsome sight in the air but as its a civvy aircraft now it doesnt do the awsome vertical take off it used to do when it was in service. the ground used to shake and all the women had grins on their faces when it was infull burn.

cster 10 November 2013 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 11259445)

Then being told on the tannoy that the 104 starfighter display of 3 jets from the Luftwaffe was one short, presumably because it crashed, so only a couple of sonic booms :)

Shaun

Saw one of these at Mildenhall in 1984 doing barrell rolls over the main runway at very low altitude and obviously pretty high speed.
Amazing - would not happen these days, that's for sure.

mrmadcap 10 November 2013 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 11259988)
Just got round to watching this, well worth the time. The Russians never half did the dirty on us with our engines in the MIG 15 though, wankers.

There seemed to be a bit of a theme going on, Rolls Royce sold the Kestrel engine to Hitler around 1938 and he put it in the early ME109.

Leslie 14 November 2013 04:10 PM

Its not too late for a description of those days,which were a bit of a worry in many ways.

Yes Rolls actually sold the Nene 10 jet engine to the Russians. They were able to use it in the MIG 15 which put the West a long way behind in fighter design.

I shall look forward to seeing the good old V Bombers next time. They did well for our protection I can assure you.

Yes the Vulcan would indeed go off the runway vertically at a display fuel weight. It could make it up to about 3000 feet on the average British sunny day. I would love to be flying it now even though it would be very frustrating with all the CAA restrictions. The wicked bit was to close the throttles at the top of the steep climb and everyone used to think the engines had failed! Happy days!

Les ;)

RA Dunk 14 November 2013 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 11264317)
Its not too late for a description of those days,which were a bit of a worry in many ways.

Yes Rolls actually sold the Nene 10 jet engine to the Russians. They were able to use it in the MIG 15 which put the West a long way behind in fighter design.

According to the documentary there was a deal of some sorts that prevented the Russians from putting the engine in a fighter plane, but they did it anyway.

Midlife...... 14 November 2013 11:27 PM

Les........did you ever roll a Tin Triangle ?

Legend has it that only Roly Falk did it :(

Shuan

ScoobyDoo555 15 November 2013 11:30 AM

Good night of telly for me:

Cold war jets, Blacklist and The Walking dead.

Tidy.

yabbadoo4 15 November 2013 11:47 AM

dunno about les but heres roly doing it. :

Midlife...... 15 November 2013 11:24 PM

Listening tonight it would seem the Victor did it first :)

Shaun

ScoobyWon't 16 November 2013 08:36 AM

I was impressed with the way the Vulcan adapted to low level flying.

I did some reading afterwards and it looks like 617 Sq. will be the new home of the F35 when it arrives in the UK. I wonder if they will keep up the Dambusters tradition and fly those just above tree level? :wonder:

CrisPDuk 16 November 2013 07:33 PM

The F35 is so fecking heavy, it probably won't be able to lift itself much above tree level ;)

Last night's programme just makes we wonder what our pilots could be flying now, if Wilson and his cronies hadn't ripped the guts out of our engineering industry :mad: :(

cster 16 November 2013 08:01 PM

Just finished the first episode and looking forward to the second.
Always been fascinated by the cold war.
It is amazing how much trouble members of the human race will go to in order to kill each other. :thumb:

F1 CJE UK 16 November 2013 08:08 PM

great program, Vulcan used to make me cry as a kid! low level passes at air shows made the ground shake what a noise!!!!

Mouser 17 November 2013 02:23 PM

Nicked from PH, never heard of this plane...http://www.avhub.net/MI_u2meteorpr19incirlik.htm ....from around the same period.

albob 17 November 2013 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 11266983)
Nicked from PH, never heard of this plane...http://www.avhub.net/MI_u2meteorpr19incirlik.htm ....from around the same period.

I had heard of the PR19, but not in that detail -- interesting article...