ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Panasonic to end plasma production (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/989510-panasonic-to-end-plasma-production.html)

mart360 06 November 2013 09:13 PM

Panasonic to end plasma production

As mentioned in another thread,

Panasonic have announced that they will cease production of plasma panels at the end of Dec,

So if your planning to buy, it needs to be very soon

Mart

forgedmarco 06 November 2013 09:16 PM

Both my tvs are plasma panasonics an I love them! :(

Rob_Impreza99 06 November 2013 09:59 PM

Didn't Panasonic buy the rights to Pioneer's plasma technology fairly recently ?

Just seems a bit odd after that to announce your then ending production of plasma TV's.

bustaMOVEs 06 November 2013 10:04 PM

Yeah, pioneer was the best plasma you could buy (kuro edition) but they stopped making them, then Panasonic were/are the next top runners in line, Panasonic do make good picture quality tvs IMO and I did a lot of research when I bought mine.

A shame really as they have a good rep with tvs

CharlySkunkWeed 06 November 2013 10:10 PM

out of curiosity , who makes the "best" TVs ? My SONY has went a bit wonky and when i googled the issue it seems Sony are shi7 and use cheap brand parts. Always assumed SONY were a good make and i'm wondering what to go for when it finally gives up !

bustaMOVEs 06 November 2013 10:18 PM

Panasonic as per title imo

CharlySkunkWeed 06 November 2013 10:22 PM

if they stop making Plasma , do you still rate them for LED etc ?

bustaMOVEs 06 November 2013 10:25 PM

Yep as led is still plasma in a sense, Panasonic led is a good piece of kit and as per brand will last for years trouble free.

Wouldn't buy 3d IMO as its pointless really

CharlySkunkWeed 06 November 2013 10:58 PM

nah , wont be getting 3D anyway , nothing to output it with . Need to update my bluray and surround so might just get the works. Just annoyed my 46" Sony only lasted 4 years.

Rob_Impreza99 06 November 2013 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11257704)
if they stop making Plasma , do you still rate them for LED etc ?

Samsung

Ive always had Panasonic equipment like TV's and Bluray recorder etc, they have been suberb. I was viewing some Samsung TV's recently in PC world and the picture quality was stunning, one was a 55 inch 3D LED and one a 46 inch.

I think a Samsung will be my next TV.

RoyPinhey 06 November 2013 11:35 PM

I have a panosonic led smart . . its top notch and beautifully designed to boot :)

tony de wonderful 07 November 2013 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11257683)
out of curiosity , who makes the "best" TVs ? My SONY has went a bit wonky and when i googled the issue it seems Sony are shi7 and use cheap brand parts. Always assumed SONY were a good make and i'm wondering what to go for when it finally gives up !

I bought a Sony TV in 2010 and just over a year later it broke costing me £100 IIRC, then it broke again and I kicked off with Comet about this and they fixed it for free.

It's been fine since that second repair, which I doubt was a 'repair' per se, more like they replaced the whole motherboard of whatever.

I'd want a TV to last at least a decade so I don't even think about a new TV.

CharlySkunkWeed 07 November 2013 07:17 AM

My Sony had a 3yr warranty , it went faulty 9months into the 4th year. They are now doing 5year warrenty but I still feel wary of buying from them again.

Ant 07 November 2013 07:21 AM

I was laughed at on here for saying plasma is a dying technology.....

jpor 07 November 2013 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11257809)
I bought a Sony TV in 2010 and just over a year later it broke costing me £100 IIRC, then it broke again and I kicked off with Comet about this and they fixed it for free.

It's been fine since that second repair, which I doubt was a 'repair' per se, more like they replaced the whole motherboard of whatever.

I'd want a TV to last at least a decade so I don't even think about a new TV.

You do realise that Comet is no more ;)
Good luck with repairs in the future :)

Graz 07 November 2013 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 11257601)
As mentioned in another thread,

Panasonic have announced that they will cease production of plasma panels at the end of Dec,

So if your planning to buy, it needs to be very soon

Mart

Nooooo :cry:

Panasonic TXP50VT30B owner and I must say the picture is a thing of beauty.

I'm guessing the panels aren't cheap to make compared to LCD and the margins on them are probably not so good. Also serving a niche market which is difficult. Unfortunately the man on the street sees he can buy a 60" LCD with 3D and a load of "smart" functions for £600 so why should he buy a plasma for £1600. But for those of us in the know the extra cost more than justifies the improvement in picture quality.

Are there any other manufacturers still making plasma or is that the end of it? Do Samsung still make plasma?

BlkKnight 07 November 2013 09:16 AM

It's not dying because of the image quality

It's dying because of the lack of profits it generates.

Rescue Dude 07 November 2013 09:34 AM

I recently bought a Panasonic plasma from Richer sounds.

Fantastic picture and came with a free 5 year warranty. :thumb:

scoobyverysoon 07 November 2013 12:48 PM

love my plasma panny 50" smart TV from john lewis will be a shame to see them go but by the time i need another TV 4k sets will be in the 1-2k bracket all being well for a 50"

P1Fanatic 07 November 2013 12:58 PM

My Pioneer 42" is going strong for 5 years now with no issues. Compare that to my previous Sony Wega 32" that went back for repairs at least 4 times.

Sad times as the Pioneer legacy disappears even further. Unfortunately the majority of consumers are more interested in how big and how thin their tv is

paulr 07 November 2013 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude (Post 11257917)
I recently bought a Panasonic plasma from Richer sounds.

Fantastic picture and came with a free 5 year warranty. :thumb:

What model?
Did it need calibrating or did you turn it on out of e box?

STi8 07 November 2013 02:08 PM

Looks like I bought my TX-p55vt65b just in time. Very impressed. It's media player can cope with a good range of file formats too.

Rescue Dude 07 November 2013 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 11258060)
What model?
Did it need calibrating or did you turn it on out of e box?

It's a TX-P42X60B.

How do you mean calibrating?

I set it up, turned it on and let it sort itself out.

urban 07 November 2013 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude (Post 11258120)
How do you mean calibrating?

Channel tuning I'd guess

scoobyverysoon 07 November 2013 03:22 PM

Doubt any shop will calibrate a plasma for free

AV forums have lots of good settings to use just a game of trial and error

thenewgalaxy 07 November 2013 03:53 PM

I bought a 52" Panasonic Plasma in 2009, one of those 600Hz neo pdp ones. Amazing for playing Halo or FIFA. The blacks and colours are so rich and sharpness is brilliant. Absolutely awesome piece of kit I love it.

My parents have a Samsung LED, one of the latest models - it cost them an absolute bomb and to be quite honest I don't think there's anything in it. Except for the thickness and weight!

bustaMOVEs 07 November 2013 04:03 PM

600hz FTW.

Samsung are the new 'fashion' tellys in todays market, bang a lot of features in it and design for a cheaper price. (how long will it last?)

To a keen eyed person and reliability and performance, panny wins every time.

Panny FTW end thread.

Graz 07 November 2013 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11258147)
Channel tuning I'd guess

No, the high end Panasonic Plasmas provide access to a whole load of weird and wonderful parameters for tweaking the picture so with a few calibration discs or a test signal generator along with a screen calibrator plugged into a laptop you can have the screen fine tuned so that any films etc. that you watch should look how the director / producer intended them to.

Personally not had it done on mine, just stick it in THX mode for movies and it is excellent.

ScoobyJawa 07 November 2013 10:24 PM

Got a 50st50b and it's a fabulous tv, glad I got it now, can't see me changing it for a long time now :(

Also just picked up a txl32e6b which is a stunning looking tv, great interface nice features, picture wise it's nice, but some way behind the plasma.

Massive shame they ceasing making them.

drb5 08 November 2013 01:12 PM

I didn't know there was more profit in LED.

We bought our Samsung 50" plasma around 7/8 years ago and still going strong. Done a LOT of investigating at the time, as I hated the idea of spending so much on a TV, yet didn't know the picture quality. Even today, it still surprises me how good it is.

Only thing that bothers me is the weight. Damn near 50 kgs and we have it on the wall!