ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Wiper Blades?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/989487-wiper-blades.html)

v6wrx 06 November 2013 05:51 PM

Wiper Blades??

Where can I get some wiper blades from for my Impreza Type R? Been to halfords but they didn't have the correct ones.

fawor 06 November 2013 06:04 PM

ebay -bosch

jabbroni 06 November 2013 06:10 PM

PIAA silicone the only way to wipe perfection :) http://www.piaa.co.uk/wipers/wipers.asp

terzoscooby 06 November 2013 07:05 PM

I would second the PIAAs. Best wipers I have had in 29 years of motoring.

Fonzey 06 November 2013 07:07 PM

Recent convert to PIAA here. Love it when it rains :D

Trinity 06 November 2013 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by v6wrx (Post 11257307)
Where can I get some wiper blades from for my Impreza Type R? Been to halfords but they didn't have the correct ones.

Ebay, Halfords did have them for my type R, just needed to measure the existing ones..

ive been a Bosch aero user, thought they where great but might have to try thwse Pia ones out, especially as itll be raining for the next 9 months :)

richie001 06 November 2013 07:34 PM

Piaa...not cheap but worth the money :thumb:

Trinity 06 November 2013 07:38 PM

Theres two things on a car that should never be skimped on in this country, Tyres and Wiper Blades!

ohyainnit 06 November 2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jabbroni (Post 11257324)
PIAA silicone the only way to wipe perfection :) http://www.piaa.co.uk/wipers/wipers.asp

I agree put a set of these in and brilliant wiper IMO

v6wrx 06 November 2013 07:54 PM

Ordered a set of PIAA silicone ones :) better be good for the price

v6wrx 06 November 2013 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Trinity (Post 11257436)
Theres two things on a car that should never be skimped on in this country, Tyres and Wiper Blades!

Very true escpically when I live in the welsh valleys!

Tidgy 06 November 2013 08:56 PM

bosh are sh~t!!!!!!

repalced mine 3 weeks ago and there streaking already.

alcazar 07 November 2013 09:30 AM

No wiper blades will be any good unless both they, and the windscreen, are clean.

During the summer, insect remains on the screen pretty soon cause smears, dirt gathers on the blades which skip and don't clear streaks.

Clean wiper blades with a spray of household kitchen cleaner on a paper towel: you'll be surprised at how much muck comes off.

Tidgy 07 November 2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11257913)
No wiper blades will be any good unless both they, and the windscreen, are clean.

During the summer, insect remains on the screen pretty soon cause smears, dirt gathers on the blades which skip and don't clear streaks.

Clean wiper blades with a spray of household kitchen cleaner on a paper towel: you'll be surprised at how much muck comes off.

shall give it a go and see what the result is :thumb:

The Trooper 1815 07 November 2013 03:58 PM

Michelin Aero flat blades are £11 a set in COSTCO. I have used them on four cars now and they have been brilliant.

PIAA are just trading on their name and are no better or special than Bosch or any other make. Like Bang and Olufsen stuff, inside it's made by Phillips and other companies. Don't believe the hype.

BlueBugEye 07 November 2013 04:21 PM

The PIAA silicones are significantly different to other blades

jabbroni 07 November 2013 04:53 PM

you will not regret it m8 believe me :)

CREWJ 07 November 2013 05:03 PM

Aren't the Type R wipers the same as other classics?

They always have them in Halfords for mine.

The Trooper 1815 07 November 2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye (Post 11258199)
The PIAA silicones are significantly different to other blades

How? I never found them any better made than Bosch, Champion or any other type.

BlueBugEye 07 November 2013 08:25 PM

The material is different if you get the silicone ones, no difference on std, basically you have a super rain X effect all the time, and quieter blades.

abc 08 November 2013 04:28 PM

I've been using PIAAs for several years now - thanks for the recommendations, guys! - and they are not only quiter and much more effective than anything else I've had in 30 years of driving, they also work out cheaper.

Driving in the dark, in heavy rain, without wipers on but being able to see perfectly is spooky!

The Trooper 1815 08 November 2013 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by abc (Post 11259113)
I've been using PIAAs for several years now - thanks for the recommendations, guys! - and they are not only quiter and much more effective than anything else I've had in 30 years of driving, they also work out cheaper.

Driving in the dark, in heavy rain, without wipers on but being able to see perfectly is spooky!

:wonder:

Fonzey 08 November 2013 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11259123)
:wonder:

As stated earlier, PIAA aren't just expensive "normal" wipers. They leave a layer of silicon on the screen so when you're driving at 50mph+, the rain just beads and streams off of the glass without ANY wiping.

You've got to see them to believe them, rather than just passing uneducated judgement based on the price.

The Trooper 1815 08 November 2013 05:29 PM

If you read my posts I have used PIAA blades but stand by my comments and combined with a good screenwash, like Prestone, you would struggle to tell the difference. So, uneducated no, not a labels man or sheep.

EOEUMC 08 November 2013 05:33 PM

I have just had a set of wipers nicked from my scoob :razz: Luckily I had a set of Bosch spare :) But I wouldn't spend a lot on them as they only un-clip :nono:

Gear Head 08 November 2013 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by EOEUMC (Post 11259156)
I have just had a set of wipers nicked from my scoob :razz: Luckily I had a set of Bosch spare :) But I wouldn't spend a lot on them as they only un-clip :nono:

They stole your wipers? What a pointless crime! :rolleyes:

Fonzey 08 November 2013 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11259152)
If you read my posts I have used PIAA blades but stand by my comments and combined with a good screenwash, like Prestone, you would struggle to tell the difference. So, uneducated no, not a labels man or sheep.

You've had fakes then tbh. For you not to understand the "driving without wipers" quote and claiming they're just branded "normal" wipers suggests strongly that you've not seen these wipers working.

EOEUMC 08 November 2013 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 11259175)
They stole your wipers? What a pointless crime! :rolleyes:

I know very petty :( I only noticed when I heard the scraping across the windscreen in the dark. I have an idea as to who as mine seems to be the only ones nicked in the street, so was not just some stupid kids messing about :razz:

Gambit 08 November 2013 08:59 PM

I bought these
http://www.tripledge.co.uk/

oldskool idea lol but work

Brun 08 November 2013 09:44 PM

Bought PIAA for both my cars a few years back but only used the supplied "glass cleaner" on one of the cars.
After 4 weeks the windscreen would bead water like it did from the first day - the other car without the "glass cleaner" never beaded water in all the time the wipers were fitted!

Glass cleaner = Rain X or similar
Wipers that coat windscreens in silicon = Bullsh1t
Are they any better than Bosch + rain X = No they are worse because you will still have some Rain X left to top up the beading effect ;)