ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Cracked windscreen (recommendations) (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/989450-cracked-windscreen-recommendations.html)

alvintc 06 November 2013 10:17 AM

Cracked windscreen (recommendations)

Got in the scoob last night found a crack on the windscreen. No idea how as it's right at the base, in line with the indicator stalk so no stone impacts etc..

So I'll need the screen replaced, thinking of doing it without involving the insurance companies so would like recommendations/ experiences.

I'm also planning on getting the 206 done at the same time, nothing wrong with the screen but after 190k miles it's not the clearest!

For reference the scoob is a 2006 Hawk WRX...

Azulcielo61 06 November 2013 10:51 AM

ill ask a mate as he got his car done recently for about half the price as everywhere else and i think the guy came to him to do it. ill get some info soon as

urban 06 November 2013 11:27 AM

Surely your insurance provides windscreen cover?
Put it though and pay the excess - be a hell of a lot less than going it alone.

JohnD 06 November 2013 11:42 AM

Had to have mine replaced recently via insurance and asked the guy (National Windscreens) how much, he said around £280 not sure if that included labour! I paid £75 excess

JohnD

urban 06 November 2013 11:49 AM

It'll be hundreds of pounds, even from the cheapest of outfits.

hail-hail 06 November 2013 11:51 AM

Got mine done yesterday, glass alone would have been over £500.......or £75 only through insurance, no brainer.

Graz 06 November 2013 12:18 PM

It doesn't affect your no claims bonus if that's what the OP was thinking.

alvintc 07 November 2013 10:58 AM

Hi Guys,

So I read all the no claims notes etc. but has anyone been through it? My reasoning is simply that this has to be paid for from somewhere so I'm concerned it will have an impact... I'm lucky at this point that my insurance is very reasonable and would like to keep it that way!

Thanks for the replies so far
Alvin.

Graz 07 November 2013 11:57 AM

Yep, had a new screen on my Scoob some years ago, paid the excess (£70?) and no appreciable knock on effect to premiums etc. You don't have to declare it if you change insurers though I'm sure they all share their data on you anyway.

urban 07 November 2013 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by alvintc (Post 11257966)
Hi Guys,

So I read all the no claims notes etc. but has anyone been through it? My reasoning is simply that this has to be paid for from somewhere so I'm concerned it will have an impact... I'm lucky at this point that my insurance is very reasonable and would like to keep it that way!

Alvin.

Yup
Been through it with my old 05 STI.
Rang up my insurance company, they said go to auto glass.
I did so, paid them £70 notes if I remember correctly, and about 90 minutes later I was driving again.

No affect on my premium.
It does go down as a claim though.

Gear Head 07 November 2013 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by alvintc (Post 11257966)
Hi Guys,

Alvin.

Stop worrying and just go through the insurance. It will not affect your no claims and as said, it isn't something you have to declare anyway.
:thumb:

Arkynsei 07 November 2013 11:57 PM

99% Sure you do have to declare it. It doesn't affect your no claims but when on comparison sites/insurance quote forms it does give the ability to tell them about your Windscreen claim.

I had mine done, £75 it cost me and good as new now. Don't worry about it, I'm 21 so my insurance is very volatile and it didn't affect mine when I checked for renewals! Make sure you declare it though or post in the insurance section where professionals will clarify my beliefs.

Apostle 08 November 2013 07:27 PM

Had my 08Sti screen recently replaced - insurance job I discovered that most firms / fitters fit generic screens that cost between £90 - £120 usually Pilkinton glass. I held out for a genuine Subaru screen which cost them £270 approx and I had to wait six weeks for them to import it ...

So if you can find the right people you'll get a bargain. They're certainly not as expensive as they'd like us to think they are. Lol

NB. Pricing didn't include vat .. I think.

cookstar 08 November 2013 07:32 PM

I got a quote once for replacing the screen on a Laguna, it was well over £500!!