ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   My 2001 Subaru impretza sport 4wd seems slow ,,, why ??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/989426-my-2001-subaru-impretza-sport-4wd-seems-slow-why.html)

Craigledbury 05 November 2013 08:37 PM

My 2001 Subaru impretza sport 4wd seems slow ,,, why ???

Hi all, I brought a lovely sport a few weeks ago . Y reg very tidy . But feel disappointed as I feel it's very slow for a impretza . What's ur thoughts on maybe making it a bit quicker . Don't want to sell as it's immaculate . But want a little more speed lol . Cheers

Richy P1984 05 November 2013 08:46 PM

Might be missing a turbo.

Paulo P 05 November 2013 09:04 PM

it's the extra letter in the badge on the rear that is weighing it down :p

tubbytommy 05 November 2013 09:19 PM

Haha

MattyB1983 05 November 2013 09:26 PM

The non turbo imprezas are dreadfully slow and theres sweet feck all you can do to make them quicker.
Surely you test drove it before paying for it so you must of known what a complete bag of sh1te the sports are ???
I actually bought the wife one a couple of years ago to use as a family car, sold it shortly after buying.

ae82mad 05 November 2013 09:45 PM

Maybe because its an Impretza and not an Impreza?? 💩

thenewgalaxy 05 November 2013 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Craigledbury (Post 11256570)
But feel disappointed as I feel it's very slow for a impretza .

Sorry to rain on your parade Craig but it's slow because it's a 2.0 sport. They've never been well known for their pace.

If you want something brisk you should have "brought" a turbo variant...

CREWJ 05 November 2013 09:56 PM

:facepalm:

jayallen 05 November 2013 10:02 PM

This is a windup......Surely?

MattyB1983 05 November 2013 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 11256679)

You're probably right fellla.

CREWJ 05 November 2013 10:13 PM

Has to be.

SwissTony 05 November 2013 10:13 PM

They go fast enough if you put your foot down

whilst going off a cliff :D

(sport owner :D )

andylinney 05 November 2013 10:42 PM

There's something that you could do, drop an STi lump in there, that'll pick up the pace a bit.

Blue by You 05 November 2013 10:45 PM

Or pay a pikey 500 notes to take it away.
It'll never go quicker than that :D

EssexJamie 05 November 2013 11:10 PM

Problem with sports are there not quick you can't make them quick (unless you change the lump) and there not really that good on fuel for a normal 2.0ltr car!

thenewgalaxy 06 November 2013 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by andylinney (Post 11256707)
There's something that you could do, drop an STi lump in there, that'll pick up the pace a bit.

Would be like Russian Roulette stopping, wondering when the brakes would melt :D

f1_fan 06 November 2013 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 11256679)

I'd say yes with almost 100% certainty and it's not even a very good one!

ditchmyster 06 November 2013 07:10 AM

The sport is more of a tortoise than a hare, but it will get you there and keep going long after a turbo has sh!t it's bearings all over the road.

As for making it faster, as above really, drop it off a cliff.:thumb:

Slow, heavy and handle crap too, a bit like a new age STI basically.:lol1:

tubbytommy 06 November 2013 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11256815)
The sport is more of a tortoise than a hare, but it will get you there and keep going long after a turbo has sh!t it's bearings all over the road.

As for making it faster, as above really, drop it off a cliff.:thumb:

Slow, heavy and handle crap too, a bit like a new age STI basically.:lol1:

jesus that troll is worse than the ops one:lol1:

SAM-UK300 06 November 2013 07:26 AM

http://www.taylorclark.co/wp-content.../04/picard.jpg

ditchmyster 06 November 2013 07:31 AM

Just sitting on the bank dipping my rod.:lol1:

tubbytommy 06 November 2013 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11256823)
Just sitting on the bank dipping my rod.:lol1:

it wont take long, theres an influx of sensitive noobs lately

scooby kid 06 November 2013 08:22 AM

All you can do and this is really all you can do, fit full system with decats, fit a borla manifold and a PANEL filter only!! no ****ty ind kit, that will give you around 20bhp and bit revy motor. or save up and buy a wrx,

andylinney 06 November 2013 08:52 AM

Your other option is just to enjoy it for what it is, learn how to drive it well, especially in the wet/cold where even if you did have 300bhp+ you almost certainly wouldn't be using it. Then, when the time is right, swap it for a WRX or STi in the knowledge that you already know the chassis inside out.

thenewgalaxy 06 November 2013 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by andylinney (Post 11256852)
Your other option is just to enjoy it for what it is, learn how to drive it well, especially in the wet/cold where even if you did have 300bhp+ you almost certainly wouldn't be using it. Then, when the time is right, swap it for a WRX or STi in the knowledge that you already know the chassis inside out.

Different cars, would be like preparing for owning an RS3 by buying an A3 1.2.

If you want performance get something else a little brisker for your budget and save up for something with poke.

Buying a workhorse designed for farmers and people who live in rural areas does not make a good performance car, especially if you cnut it up with go faster stripes, red wheels, Takeaway menu / Energy drink / Ken Cock stickers and huge wings. You'd be better off with a Saxo or a Corsa.

honeybadger 06 November 2013 11:49 AM

lol...poor guy.

Alan Jeffery 06 November 2013 12:38 PM

We have a couple of Sports, we lend them out as we can't trust certain customers with the turbo versions!
Despite being seriously cheap and cheerful, they are very reliable, comfortable and handle nicely.
Anyway, on an average day, how fast can you go?

SwissTony 06 November 2013 12:53 PM

To be honest, I have had two sports now. Both have been agile, sure footed and pretty comfortable even in standard guise. As they share so many of the normal components from their turbo cousins, then they have everything except the grunt.
Also the insurance tends to be cheaper

The downside is, as mentioned here already, very little you can do to improve the speed. On my last sport I sorted the exhaust and manifold so it had the noise and then just kept it clean. No point in throwing money at it, just enjoy it for what it is

And never try and make it too much like a turbo,it will only end in tears :)

My wife spotted a sport at Castlecombe a while back sporting a front mount complete with samco hoses etc. All looked great until you peaked through the scoop to see the standard sport air box at the back :lol1::lol1:

honeybadger 06 November 2013 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=Alan Jeffery;11257047]We have a couple of Sports, we lend them out as we can't trust certain customers with the turbo versions!
Despite being seriously cheap and cheerful, they are very reliable, comfortable and handle nicely.
Anyway, on an average day, how fast can you go?[/QUOTE]

i fully agree :) ^

Scoobydoo Ste 07 November 2013 03:07 AM

You need a turbo!