ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   India countdown to Mars mission (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/989380-india-countdown-to-mars-mission.html)

AndyBaker 05 November 2013 09:57 AM

India countdown to Mars mission

And we're still sending them bucket loads of aid. Go figure:wonder:

billythekid 05 November 2013 10:19 AM

National debt as % of GDP:

Greece 199%
USA 108%
France 95%
Germany 85%
UK 70%
India 50%

India now gives quite a lot of aid to other countires, in fact their aid payments to other countries has gone up 300% in the last 5 years.

Last years aid payment to India (c.£280M) from the UK did not take place, and I dont think there was one this year.

Its still a fragile economy but creating jobs in industry other than call centres is a good thing in my books.

Now look at the £450 BILLION we pumped into the banks to keep them going...

jonc 05 November 2013 10:32 AM

Didn't we go through this with the Nigerian space programme?

billythekid 05 November 2013 10:34 AM

No but if you give me your bank account details I am sure I can arrange an urgent telex from my good friend the Crown Prince who has your share of £400,000,000. We may need some capital up front to cover some taxes.. I am sure you understand...

Martin2005 05 November 2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by billythekid (Post 11255899)
National debt as % of GDP:

Greece 199%
USA 108%
France 95%
Germany 85%
UK 70%
India 50%

India now gives quite a lot of aid to other countires, in fact their aid payments to other countries has gone up 300% in the last 5 years.

Last years aid payment to India (c.£280M) from the UK did not take place, and I dont think there was one this year.

Its still a fragile economy but creating jobs in industry other than call centres is a good thing in my books.

Now look at the £450 BILLION we pumped into the banks to keep them going...

Well said.

Dingdongler 05 November 2013 10:57 AM

I might go on a bit of a Marsala mission for my dinner tonight.

I'll get my coat.......

Miniman 05 November 2013 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by billythekid (Post 11255899)

Not sure this is true. The DFID page seems to suggest that they had budget in the past and up until 2015.

http://devtracker.dfid.gov.uk/countries/IN/

mamoon2 05 November 2013 12:54 PM

I'm sure India turned it down.

I may be wrong though.

DYK 05 November 2013 01:05 PM

Mars is a bit far away to order a curry..

billythekid 05 November 2013 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Miniman (Post 11256015)
Not sure this is true. The DFID page seems to suggest that they had budget in the past and up until 2015.

http://devtracker.dfid.gov.uk/countries/IN/

I was under the impression that India asked for it to go (or gave it) to Africa.
I think India now gives >$1Bn in aid to Africa.

The country is developing quickly, and it cant change overnight - but give it another 20-30 years and I reckon it will be doing quite well for itself.

Leslie 05 November 2013 03:23 PM

I wish them good luck.

Les

Miniman 05 November 2013 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by billythekid (Post 11256122)
I was under the impression that India asked for it to go (or gave it) to Africa.
I think India now gives >$1Bn in aid to Africa.

I'm not sure it's that simple. I believe the DFID make grants of smaller amounts against multiple projects, so they don't hand out a single cheque to any government as such for the full amount. Those grants go to multiple recipients including NGO's. You'd have to get all recipients to agree not to take the money to say "we didn't give it away after all".

ditchmyster 05 November 2013 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by billythekid (Post 11256122)
The country is developing quickly, and it cant change overnight - but give it another 20-30 years and I reckon it will be doing quite well for itself.

I've been to India recently and trust me it's not going to take anything like 20yrs, the place looks like Japan with sky trains, every multinational company has a major presence there, the place has been totally transformed in the last 10yrs, middle class is booming.

Martin2005 05 November 2013 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11256283)
I've been to India recently and trust me it's not going to take anything like 20yrs, the place looks like Japan with sky trains, every multinational company has a major presence there, the place has been totally transformed in the last 10yrs, middle class is booming.

True, but it's also true that India has a third of all the world children living in poverty.

This will of course improve as their economy further develops. But there is a very long way to go.

tony de wonderful 05 November 2013 05:46 PM

I'm not quite as optimistic; firstly, the level of pollution when 100's of millions of Indians have a western level of consumer lifestyles will be monumental, secondly I don't get this idea that the western form-of-life is something that other people MUST 'ascend' to, as if it is some universal good, this universalism is idiotic.

Turbohot 05 November 2013 07:28 PM

Stupid idea to go to Mars. They should be putting money back into improving the state of the poor. They worship all the planets, anyway. They should leave it alone and keep praying to it from distance.

Dingdongler 05 November 2013 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 11256444)
Stupid idea to go to Mars. They should be putting money back into improving the state of the poor. They worship all the planets, anyway. They should leave it alone and keep praying to it from distance.

What does that mean?:lol1:

Turbohot 05 November 2013 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11256605)
What does that mean?:lol1:

You should know what I mean. Mangala aka Mars planet is the celebrate son of the Goddess Earth, and the red God of War. Men in specific need to fast every Tuesday, to honour planet Mangala, and go to Hanumanji's mandir in the evening to pray to him as well. I just like the sweets that you get from mandir puja- God forgive me. Yum yum. :luvlove:

Dingdongler 05 November 2013 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 11256616)
You should know what I mean. Mangala aka Mars planet is the celebrate son of the Goddess Earth, and the red God of War. Men in specific need to fast every Tuesday, to honour planet Mangala, and go to Hanumanji's mandir in the evening to pray to him as well. I just like the sweets that you get from mandir puja- God forgive me. Yum yum. :luvlove:

Do the sikhs, muslims, buddhists and atheists of India subscribe to this nonsense?:D

Turbohot 05 November 2013 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11256692)
Do the sikhs, muslims, buddhists and atheists of India subscribe to this nonsense?:D

Well, as the country remains predominantly a Hindu country, despite of the Sikh pm, general public is into all sorts of hocus and holy pocus. :D

CharlySkunkWeed 06 November 2013 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 11256616)

Well someone gonna be disappointed when they get there to find its just a big red shi7hole , and anyone who's had a bad curry will know what that's like :lol1:

Turbohot 06 November 2013 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11256817)
Well someone gonna be disappointed when they get there to find its just a big red shi7hole , and anyone who's had a bad curry will know what that's like :lol1:

:lol1:

CrisPDuk 06 November 2013 01:22 PM

Text I received this morning;

NASA have congratulated India on a successful launch, but have expressed concern for the safety of the 500 people travelling on the roof :)

Turbohot 06 November 2013 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 11257073)
Text I received this morning;

NASA have congratulated India on a successful launch, but have expressed concern for the safety of the 500 people travelling on the roof :)

Quality! :lol:

dpb 06 November 2013 04:35 PM

Haha brilliant. :D