ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Cold start issue (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/989123-cold-start-issue.html)

crazyspeedfreakz 01 November 2013 01:53 PM

Cold start issue

Hi people..

I've had this problem for some time but have learnt to live with it as it only lasts for the first 5 mins of driving from a cold start.

Basicly keys in fire her up everything is correct but then if I put my foot down on accelerator its sort of like nothing happens, no reponces so I have to blip the accelerator pedal.

I've have been keeping an eye on the temp gauge and from cold start up to 40degrees I have the issue there on after the car drives like a dream,

The car is aways warmed up before driving but the issue I have had for some time now and its really starting to irritate me !

Suggestions as to what the fault can be are more than welcome

Thanks

Csf

Pigman149 01 November 2013 02:07 PM

Only owned a scooby for a few days but I would guess at some sort of cold start temp sensor if fitted to a scooby

Davros 1979 01 November 2013 02:34 PM

Water temperature sensor

crazyspeedfreakz 01 November 2013 04:41 PM

I'm running a Apexi pfc if it was the coolant temp sensor would it show as faulty on the handset ??

M4RKG 01 November 2013 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz (Post 11252576)
I'm running a Apexi pfc if it was the coolant temp sensor would it show as faulty on the handset ??

I found the handset to be of very little use when I had one, so doubt it.

Ive had a similar problem on my v3 STI Type R, up until it was at operating temp it ran like a bag of ****e, i got the occasional MAF and knock sensor fault code so swapped them, fine now

crazyspeedfreakz 01 November 2013 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by M4RKG (Post 11252590)
I found the handset to be of very little use when I had one, so doubt it.

Ive had a similar problem on my v3 STI Type R, up until it was at operating temp it ran like a bag of ****e, i got the occasional MAF and knock sensor fault code so swapped them, fine now

Hi mark ....

I bought a new maf insert not to long back so no that's no the issue and I really cannot see a knock sensor causing a cold start issue :(

I though that the Apexi would show the temp of the car from cold onwards and presumed if not temp then show the voltage to show the coolant temp sensor functioning.

Jgm where are youuuu :) lol

codfather 01 November 2013 08:42 PM

Does your car struggle to start from cold? Does the exhaust fumes smell fuelly? As these are some of the symptoms of a faulty coolant temp sensor..imo id change it as they invariably pack up ;-)

Baz82 02 November 2013 01:56 PM

Is the cold start part of the map under 40 degrees tuned?

crazyspeedfreakz 02 November 2013 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Baz82 (Post 11253287)
Is the cold start part of the map under 40 degrees tuned?

The car has been mapped recently albeit it was a very hot day but was having the issues prior to this aswell .... Think I'm just gonna order a coolant temp sensor from import car parts on Monday and see if that sorts the issue :(

Jolly Green Monster 02 November 2013 09:07 PM

Sounds like the cold start fuelling needs adjusting in the map.
Unusual on an apexi as normally the offsets work really well.

Simon

mark type ra 02 November 2013 09:16 PM

Also have the same problem on my 95 RA i was starting to think it was a dodgy coilpack think I'll do the same and get this temp sensor changed mines also been recently mapped on a ESL so JGM do think it could just be a case of a tweak ?

Jolly Green Monster 02 November 2013 09:26 PM

Yes. Coolant temp sensor would only fix it if it was not telling the ecu the engine is cold.

On the handcontroller check the coolant temp is as expected when cold

mark type ra 02 November 2013 09:28 PM

Cheers JGM

crazyspeedfreakz 02 November 2013 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster (Post 11253673)
Yes. Coolant temp sensor would only fix it if it was not telling the ecu the engine is cold.

On the handcontroller check the coolant temp is as expected when cold

Hi si

thanks for getting back to me on my thread, can u advise where to check on the apexi handset to see if the coolant temp sensor is correct... Is it in the etc, sensor check menu and if so what I'm looking for?
I'm sure I checked this b4 and it was showing fine

If there is no fault what sort of price am I looking at for a tweak please feel free to pm me that part :) .. Would u need to have the car from cold to rectify the issue ?

Regards

crazyspeedfreakz 03 November 2013 02:20 PM

Bump for jgm ^^^

Jolly Green Monster 03 November 2013 02:23 PM

Monitor --> wtr temp.

http://www.jollygreenmonster.com/help.htm

crazyspeedfreakz 03 November 2013 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster (Post 11254141)

Hi si

Done this last night, The line starts just above zero And raises as it gets hotter so I presume this means the coolant temp sensor is fine.

I'm thinking I need a cold start tweak on my Apexi can u advise what my options are I mean is this somthing I can do over the phone or somthing u would need to see ...

Cheers

Csf